Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-10-2013, 10:58 PM   #1 
Leviathon

Smile Snail buddy for my Betta?

I was thinking of getting a snail to keep my Betta company, plus to keep the sides of the tank sparklin' clean.
Are Bettas compatible with snails? My Betta is pretty shy, still swimming away at the sight of his own reflection, and I'd doubt he'd be aggressive towards the snail, but, any feedback/comments about having a snail in with my Betta?
Leviathon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 07:35 AM   #2 
OregonCoast

Snails are a great critter to help keep the tank clean! Unfortunately, my betta Meep has become a very grumpy betta and is in a tank all by his lonesome...no snail buddies...He flared himself to complete stress at them...out of the blue. they had to be removed. We like zebra/nerite snails personally...they don't breed like rabbits and are smart enough to stay in the tank. (unfortunate luck with Apple snails and ramshorns) Ramshorns breed too fast for me...don't like them unless I want to have a pea puffer tank. Apple snails...couldn't keep them in the tank...I guess they were the wandering bunch.

No mention of how big your tank is for your little fella...reason I ask is...if snails do not work out..find some Amano Shrimp...full size. for some odd reason...neither of our two betta boys will bother these shrimp. Well seeing how these shrimp get to about 2-3 inches in size! I love shrimp more then snails and make for a good clean up crew when snails cannot be put in the same tank (Meep...grumpy turd .

Defintely get some snails! Good crew..if that doesn't work out...go for plan B!
OregonCoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 02:06 PM   #3 
NeptunesMom

If your tank is smaller than 5 g, I wouldn't recommend a snail. Snails are actually pretty dirty little guys. Nerites are your best bet for keeping the algae away.
NeptunesMom is offline   Reply With Quote