Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-11-2013, 12:46 PM   #1 
Joaquin

Location: DEEP IN DA HEARRRT OF TEXASSSS.....I hate that song.
Question Changing Filters??

Hi, all.
I have a Tetra Whisper 3i (Bio-Bag) filter, and I am not sure how to go about changing it. I have a few questions! :)

1. Do I keep the fish in the tank while changing the filter?

2. Do I insert a completely new cartridge or do I re-use the old one (and if I re-use the old one, do I just rinse it with tank water)?

3. It says on the back of the new cartridges to "rinse under cool tap water to remove carbon dust." Shouldn't I use treated water from the tank instead?

Thanks!
Joaquin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 01:33 PM   #2 
LittleDeer

Unless the cartridge is torn apart, you shouldn't ever change it. That cartridge has beneficial bacteria on it that help break down the waste of the fish. DOn't trust what it says on the box about replacing them every month or so. You should keep the same cartridge as long as possible until its too damaged to really be used. You can just swish it in a bucket of old tank water when you do water changes a couple times a month. But other than that you can just leave it alone :)
LittleDeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 01:56 PM   #3 
Joaquin

Location: DEEP IN DA HEARRRT OF TEXASSSS.....I hate that song.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleDeer View Post
Unless the cartridge is torn apart, you shouldn't ever change it. That cartridge has beneficial bacteria on it that help break down the waste of the fish. DOn't trust what it says on the box about replacing them every month or so. You should keep the same cartridge as long as possible until its too damaged to really be used. You can just swish it in a bucket of old tank water when you do water changes a couple times a month. But other than that you can just leave it alone :)

Awesome, thank you!
The reason I'm cleaning it is because there is reduced water flow in the filter. It started out as a continuous stream, and now it's choppy. The cartridge didn't seem dirty when I swished it right now, though...which makes me wonder if the filter is broken OR could it be that I put a piece of panty hose over the part that sucks the water (the intake? I was worried my fish would get stuck). Do you have any advice on this?
Joaquin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 01:57 PM   #4 
TheGoldenBetta

I agree with what LittleDeer says, you never really have to replace the cartridges, and it is ok to switch the filter while the fish are in the tank.
TheGoldenBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 01:59 PM   #5 
TheGoldenBetta

Also, your fish will not get sucked in. I have guppies and they have never gotten stuck to the intake. If it is covered, you won't clean as much water.
TheGoldenBetta is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
changing filter, filter cartridges, tank care, whisper 3i filter