Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-11-2013, 08:28 AM   #1 
All that is Fishy

Curious about water changes in 10 g. with filter

I have a question. If I get a 10 gallon tank with a filter and plants, how often would I need to change the water (and how much) with one beta in it? I read on this forum that if it is 2.5 gallons or more it is twice a week, but 10 gallons is a lot bigger, so I am not sure.
All that is Fishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 08:56 AM   #2 
shellieca
Reference Team

Once the tank is fully cycled then a once a week 50% water change would be sufficient. While the tank is cycling it will be dependent on your daily water tests for ammonia, nitrites & nitrates.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 09:01 AM   #3 
LittleDeer

For my 10 gallon I do about a 50% every wednesday. And its cycled. BUt if your tank isn't cycled, I would do that at least twice a week, or smaller amounts more frequently.
LittleDeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 09:08 AM   #4 
KevinPham123

Mine is cycled, I do 50% water changes once a week. I do a close to full water change and the end of every month. No problems for me.
KevinPham123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 01:24 PM   #5 
All that is Fishy

Thank you!

I am surprised at the high percent of water to change, because my 38 gallon only needs about 20% changed once a week (no betas in it though). I am actually wondering if I might be better off getting a 20 gallon. I know the bigger the tank is, the easier it is to care for. Also, if I was to get a beta, or any fish for a new tank, I would want the fish to have enough room to swim around and be happy. Do you think one beta and no other fish would be lonely or bored in there? I guess if I got a 20 gallon, I could probably put in some tetras too. Do you think that would be okay? They don't have the flow-y fins that would make them look threatening.

Edited to add: I am not trying to get out of cleaning the tank, I am just trying to create conditions that would make it easier to keep the water clean.
Old 07-11-2013, 02:23 PM   #6 
shellieca
Reference Team

Most of us do a 50% weekly water change because it replenishes things in the water & removes built up nitrates & it does no harm to the fish or the BB. I usually end up doing more than 50% on my 46g BUT I have a water changer & am not lugging buckets. I don't advise the % to be changed based on the tank size, I usually say 50%+ regardless & if the tank is small enough I'll say do a 100%. The bottom line is, its your tank your fish & if you believe less of a water change is sufficient for the long term health of your tank then thats your choice. I have 3 10g tanks with 1 male Betta each, 2 of the tanks also have some snails, IMO, a 10g with 1 Male Betta is perfect.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 12:25 AM   #7 
KevinPham123

Quote:
Originally Posted by shellieca View Post
Most of us do a 50% weekly water change because it replenishes things in the water & removes built up nitrates & it does no harm to the fish or the BB. I usually end up doing more than 50% on my 46g BUT I have a water changer & am not lugging buckets. I don't advise the % to be changed based on the tank size, I usually say 50%+ regardless & if the tank is small enough I'll say do a 100%. The bottom line is, its your tank your fish & if you believe less of a water change is sufficient for the long term health of your tank then thats your choice. I have 3 10g tanks with 1 male Betta each, 2 of the tanks also have some snails, IMO, a 10g with 1 Male Betta is perfect.
+1
KevinPham123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 12:34 AM   #8 
LittleBettaFish

If you went with live plants and the tank is cycled, I would think a 25% water change once a week would suffice. This of course would depend on your nitrate levels.

A single betta in a 10 gallon is pretty light stocking so I wouldn't imagine the need for big water changes provided the tank is cycled.
LittleBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 07:54 AM   #9 
All that is Fishy

I think I am going to go with a 20 gallon tank, if possible. I really want my fish to have as much room to swim as possible, but I can't get a bigger tank than that right now because I will be moving to a new apartment (when I would get the tank) and I will only be there for like 13 months. Also, my fiance is still thinking about if she would be okay with me moving the tank there after (since I will be living there), since we already have a tank there. So, if she says she wouldn't mind, then I will get a 20 gallon.

As for the water changes, I will just test the water. If I am doing like 25-30% changes once a week (once the tank is stable, more before that) and the water parameters aren't good, I will do more.

I am not sure if I am going to go with a beta or some other fish. At first I was thinking a beta, because they are really beautiful, but now I am not sure.

I love setting up tanks!
Old 07-12-2013, 07:58 AM   #10 
Freyja
Banned

+1^I have a planted, cycled 20 g and do 25% pwc weekly, even though my tests say I don't have to.
Freyja is offline   Reply With Quote