Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-11-2013, 04:20 PM   #1 
Rowdy Hotel

Taking the betta plunge! Advice on obtaining stock.

So I've been spending way too much time on aquabid lately as well as lurking on this site for the past couple of months looking at pics of bettas, I'm 27 and have been keeping fish for as long as I can remember so I consider myself an advanced hobbyist, however this would be my first foray into breeding domestic strains which involve breeding for the compliance of a show standard. I've never been much of a fan of domestic strains of fish always having preferred their wild predecessors in my aquariums. This might be due to my affinity for heavily planted tanks with dirt substrates, whenever I placed a flamboyantly colored fish into these tanks they always seem as something of an eyesore as if they don't quite fit the tanks.

Lately I've been thinking that breeding fish to fit a standard would be kind of fun, plus the added uncertainty of not knowing exactly what you're going to produce also adds to the appeal. I'm constantly hatching brine shrimp for my own fish which is why I considered breeding as well as the fact that there's a local fish shop which has told me that if I breed nice fish they will take any and all fry I do not want which allows me to cull heavily and only keep a few fish from each batch seeing how I do not have much room for adult males.

I was unable to differentiate between HM or HMPK bettas with regard to which I like best so I've just decided to obtain a pair or trio of both to start off. I realize choosing fish with proper finnage is probably more important than choosing fish with a color that you like, however some of the black dragons I've been seeing in HM and HMPK form are jaw dropping and they remain my favorites. I'm a fan of all color classes except maybe the Cambodian as I prefer colors on the body as well as fins.

I'm wondering how much luck people have had obtaining sibling sisters to their males they buy online from Asia. My main concern is that the breeder doesnt send a sibling sister but rather any female lying around as this would be a big set back. I've always assumed that they raise most of the males while culling the vast majority if not all the females. This has made me want to consider buying from someone in the USA as I would have more faith in them that they would send sibling females. I also have some hesitations buying from somebody overseas however based on what I've read as long as you're buying from someone with a good reputation everybody seems to get exactly what they ordered.

Has anybody ordered from king betta farm thailand shop on facebook?
They have some amazing looking fish with regards to color.
Rowdy Hotel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 04:29 PM   #2 
Lamb

I just ordered mine today. I'm working with a great and very knowledgeable breeder. Just ordered 2 pairs of show quality fish. His name is loi303 (ebay) and I believe to be very reputable (seen a few posts about him and his feedback is all raves). He has great stock. And he's willing to work at getting you what you want. I highly recommend him. :)

I've heard/read horror stories about ordering from Thailand and some of the trans shippers being terrible. Maybe someone who has been successful can give you pointers! :) Good luck.
Lamb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 04:30 PM   #3 
Rowdy Hotel

Some examples from King Betta Farm Thailand Shop on facebook. I hardly ever use facebook and had not been on it in more than 7 months but felt like I had to come on to inquire about some of these fish.

My ideal mask with black dragon colors.

Rowdy Hotel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 04:33 PM   #4 
Lamb

I got this link from a thread here, it's been helpful with form but I'm no expert so I can't say anything about the fish you posted. http://es.slideshare.net/Bajistock/s...o-breed-bettas
Lamb is offline   Reply With Quote