Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-10-2013, 10:48 PM   #1 
FishyFloorzack

Ammonia Cycle

1.When doing the ammonia cycle am i able to put decorations in the tank when doing the cycle?
2.As in plants, or sand? I'm new to the cycle, getting a hang of it but still on the edge of learning.
3. And why do i have to change the water 75-85%? Doesn't that take out the beneficial bacteria?
4. Also how long does this take to get the beneficial bacteria to stay?
5.If i have a tank that is 3 gallons can i take some decorations or rocks out and put into the 10 gallon to help it? Or would that be worse?
6. Also what's good nitrates? or nitrate? or ammonia? Or too much of anything is bad?
Sorry for the questions but i'm just having some trouble..

Last edited by FishyFloorzack; 07-10-2013 at 11:05 PM.
FishyFloorzack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 11:56 PM   #2 
LebronTheBetta

1.When doing the ammonia cycle am i able to put decorations in the tank when doing the cycle? Yes, you're able to. (:
2.As in plants, or sand? I'm new to the cycle, getting a hang of it but still on the edge of learning. I don't understand.. Sand is a substrate and plants are more of the decoration/living thing category.
3. And why do i have to change the water 75-85%? Doesn't that take out the beneficial bacteria? Doing fish in or fishless? It won't take out the bacteria, the beneficial bacteria (BB) are in the substrate and filter media mostly.
4. Also how long does this take to get the beneficial bacteria to stay? You mean to grow enough a big colony? Around 4-6 weeks.
5.If i have a tank that is 3 gallons can i take some decorations or rocks out and put into the 10 gallon to help it? Or would that be worse? Is your 3G filtered for a few months? If yes, sure. But if no, then it will be useless.
6. Also what's good nitrates? or nitrate? or ammonia? Or too much of anything is bad? All can harm the fish but a nitrate of 20ppm and below are okay for the fish. Ammonia and nitrite are toxic.

Good luck, anymore questions?
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 08:48 PM   #3 
FishyFloorzack

I'm doing the ammonia cycle, so fishLESS. Being as humane as i can..
Also do i run the filter during this cycle or does it have to be off?
FishyFloorzack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 09:44 PM   #4 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Just want to add a few things:

If you are dosing ammonia then do not put live plants in there for now, they will be fine but I'd rather not risk it as I don't know exactly what will happen. But you can put all the decoration, gravel/sand in there that you want to.

BB are actually stuck to surfaces in your filter, substrate, tank walls and other decorations. Basically it's like a super glue and you can't take it off without letting it dry. If you let the surface dry out then yes, you can kill your BB but the kind you want doesn't live in the water column so you can't "take it out".

You only need to do a 75% change at the end of the cycle to take out the nitrates. The small water changes during the actually start of the cycle are just to make sure that ammonia doesn't go over 4ppm if you are dosing pure Ammonia. if you go higher, there's a chance of stalling the cycle and that's no good. But otherwise you won't need a big water change until the very end when Ammonia and Nitrites are both 0 and your Nitrates will most likely be above 20ppm.

And always keep your filter on! That's where your BB are going to live, you wouldn't like if people took away your house to live in haha. No, but if you don't have the filter running the BB can't find their way into their home and start to colonize and stick to surfaces. Then if you let the filter dry out, you can kill your BB, that's no good either so always keep it running. You can turn it off during a routine water change if it's more than 50% but I never turn my filters off during a water change so it's up to you. You can have it off for about an hour or two and it will be fine but no more than that.
lilnaugrim is offline   Reply With Quote