Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-11-2013, 07:06 PM   #1 
NeptunesMom

Smelly Fish

My new fish Odin seems to emit an odd smell. It's almost like those canned hot dog bits and beans. I'm a vegetarian so I'm not sure exactly what they're called, but I've smelled it before at cookouts. His water stays clean (I do changes every other day in his .5 g hospital tank), he doesn't appear to have any external problems (although his eye is cloudy, and I am treating that). I noticed it last night, while I was cleaning his tank. Then again he still smells today. I did 100% watch change last night, so I would think it can't be the water.

I've never had a fish that smelled like this. I've had fish smell, well like fish, but never like canned hot dog bits and beans. None of the other tanks smell weird, and I changed them last night too.

Any ideas?
NeptunesMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 07:12 PM   #2 
RussellTheShihTzu
Reference Team

Beanie Weenies.
RussellTheShihTzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 11:35 PM   #3 
NeptunesMom

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussellTheShihTzu View Post
Beanie Weenies.
Yep. That's what he smells like. It seems to be getting worse tonight. I noticed it got slightly better after doing the 100% water change, but its back to being pretty bad again. I can smell it from about 3 feet away from his tank. And, he's only in a .5 g. I wonder if moving him into something bigger might help? I just don't know. I've never experienced this.
Old 07-11-2013, 11:48 PM   #4 
kvw1988

I have a fish whose water smells pretty bad regardless of how much water I change or what I do, but I'm also treating her with epsom salt so I wonder if that's the root of the smell. You said you were treating your fish for his eye, I just wonder if thats the connection.
kvw1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 11:51 PM   #5 
NeptunesMom

Quote:
Originally Posted by kvw1988 View Post
I have a fish whose water smells pretty bad regardless of how much water I change or what I do, but I'm also treating her with epsom salt so I wonder if that's the root of the smell. You said you were treating your fish for his eye, I just wonder if thats the connection.
I've used Epsom salt regularly for other fish, and never had this problem. I'm actually using it in another tank to treat a female with fluid retention problems. There is no smell in her tank. Does yours smell like Beanie Weenies?
Old 07-12-2013, 12:01 AM   #6 
kvw1988

I'm a vegetarian too so I don't know lol, To me it smells like skunk, but I only notice it when I change the water, never just casually day to day. I've never had a fish smell like that before, but this is the first one who has gotten epsom salt so that's why I figured it would be that.
Old 07-12-2013, 12:07 AM   #7 
kvw1988

The good news though is it doesn't seem to bother her. She gets the epsom salt occasionally for constipation but other than that she seems fine.
Old 07-12-2013, 12:31 AM   #8 
NeptunesMom

I think I may have figured out what it is. I think it might be a smell leaching off an ornament I put in there a few days ago. It's a log from TopFin that I have in all my tanks. This one seemed to have a different paint on it. I noticed it smelled yesterday, but I figured it was just from being in the water. I took it out, and have put in Eponine's log (she's not happy her log is gone, I'll have to get her another place to hide). We'll see if it still smells tomorrow.

I also noticed he's starting to get red and black edges on his fins. Grr.. I'm doing 100% changes every other day, looks like I'll have to up it to every day. Or I suppose it could've been a result of ornament too (if that's what it turns to be).
Old 07-12-2013, 12:34 AM   #9 
kvw1988

Oh I wonder if that's it for me too, I think I have the same log, I noticed when I bought it that it was the same style as the one my male has but the finish on it is different.
Old 07-12-2013, 12:43 AM   #10 
NeptunesMom

At this point I'm 99.9% sure that's what it was. The log was sitting in my room and I could still smell it (like I could smell it when I walked into my room it was so strong). I moved it to another room, and the smell is gone. The tanks still has a very slight smell, but I think it might just be residual from the tiny bit of water that I put back in there with Odin. It would make sense too because I got the log for him only a couple days ago. I hadn't noticed him smelling in the few weeks he's been here until last night.

I'm going to return it and get something else. I think they changed the finish/paint on it. It's a lot shinier now. I'll get a rock cave instead.

Last edited by NeptunesMom; 07-12-2013 at 12:46 AM.