Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-12-2013, 01:40 AM   #21 
Kittaliana

I know that I need a an actual tank for each of my fish, a heater, and a probably a few other testing kits. My parents pretty much got the fish so they could shut me up on my birthday. They're not willing to pay or expend any effort on their part to help my fish. And I don't feed them blood worms as often as I feed the pellets, which are called 'New Life Spectrum Betta Formula' I kind of figured the blood worms were kind of like a treat, well I mean compared to the pellets. And for now the heater isn't a problem, so I'm not too worried about that because as I stated in my first post, it gets to 90 degrees in my house, and I'm not exaggerating. And I'm afraid to start feeding him again .. especially if he might be constipated.. that would just make it worse right?

And I understand completely that I need a bigger 'tank' I've been trying to make that happen, but right now I'm just trying to keep my fish alive until then. And you're right the pet store employees don't tell you anything about the fish, I thought that was really odd, so I asked, luckily the fish person was obsessed with bettas..
Kittaliana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 01:41 AM   #22 
Kittaliana

All the products I have for my fish were recommended by the .. erm fish lady I don't know how to phrase that in a nicer way lol..
Old 07-12-2013, 01:43 AM   #23 
Kittaliana

And I apologize for not putting this on an emeregency .. thread..er board idk. I just signed up to this site so I could get diagnostics on my fish, not to be told how to care generally for them. I did my research online, most of it on this site, so I know about the tanks, and the cycling, and the pH etc. etc. I don't care about that stuff right now, I just want my fish back to normal so I can then continue to worry about their living environments (The tanks and the water changes and pH) but I think my fish is dying (Watch the video you'll understand) and I just want to fix it before I move onto anything else.
Old 07-12-2013, 01:43 AM   #24 
lillyandquigly

just make sure you do 100% water changes everyday on each of their tanks until you get a bigger tanks with filters for each of them
lillyandquigly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 01:44 AM   #25 
Kittaliana

I'm going to create a post..board..thread whatever in the emergency section (Assuming I can find it) if any of you want to join the board..thread..thing you can ask via message or.. I'm sure it shows somewhere on my profile of the threads I've made..

Man, I really need to work on posting just one message..
Old 07-12-2013, 01:45 AM   #26 
Kittaliana

I heard the filters are stressful? Does it depend on how big the tank is? For example if the tank is bigger the less current, the less stress on the fish..
Old 07-12-2013, 01:51 AM   #27 
lillyandquigly

Sponge filters would be good for kritter keepers, or one gallon. You'd only want to use an HOB (hang on back) filter for a really large tank. Bettas like minimal water flow.
lillyandquigly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 02:03 AM   #28 
RussellTheShihTzu
Reference Team

There's really no reason to start another thread. People have told you what they think:

Do 100% water changes at least every other day or every day if you can.

Stop the freeze dried bloodworms and only feed pellets except maybe once a week. The food the fish lady suggested is a good one.

He's most likely curving his body because of his small environment and it's not as easy to swim straight.

A video of him from the side would give people a better idea of how he's swimming. One from the top doesn't tell very much.

If you can't get a bigger tank that's no big deal if you do the water changes. And if your room is as hot as you say you can do without the heater for a bit. The reason you need a heater is to keep the temperatures steady whether 72 or 86. Fluctuating temperatures cause stress and illness.

Good luck and keep us posted.

BTW, I watched your video two or three times. Is that a bubble next he's attempting to build in the right corner?
RussellTheShihTzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 02:18 AM   #29 
Snaptrap

If I ever get fish, I make sure I can provide a proper tank and food, otherwise I simply don't get them. I haven't had fish since '79 and I just bought a Betta and an 8Gal tank for him which I may upgrade to a 14Gal.
Snaptrap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 02:26 AM   #30 
RussellTheShihTzu
Reference Team

Many forum members are kids without disposable income. What they can and cannot get depends on their parents. An inability to have a large tank or a filter or a heater should not preclude them from owning and learning about these wonderful fish.

Just my 2 cents.

BTW, why don't you swap him out with the Betta in the largest container? If the other one starts acting the same way, you'll know your problem.

Last edited by RussellTheShihTzu; 07-12-2013 at 02:34 AM. Reason: Swapping idea
RussellTheShihTzu is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
curved body, elephant ear betta