Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-10-2013, 03:34 PM   #1 
Bettacrab

Unfiltered tank? Questions for new fish keeper.

Hello my name is Ingrid.

Last christmas I got a betta fish and named him spalsh, I believe he was a veiltail. I kept him in a 2 gallon drum bowl. Unfortionatly I wasn't allowed to keep him, in march I gave him to my best friend. He's in a hex tank now.
In may that same friend got me a goldfish and a bowl. I knew goldfish needed a big tank so I set up a 10 gallon I had laying around the house (I'm a reptile, arthropod, and hermit crab lover.) I bought some gravel, decor, etc. I used my powerhead as a filter (It's complicated why I have a powerhead.)

Needless to say he died.

Then on June 10, I got a betta. He was a dragonscale crowntail male betta. I bought him a heater, and a Marino moss ball.

Since I am clueless when it comes to filters I bought a 5 gallon tropical fish kit, which included EVERYTHING I needed for a fish for $50, lights, heater, filter, gravel, lighs, tank, therometer, etc.

I set him up nicely in that tank.

The next day I got 1 neon tetra, 1 algea eater (I thought it was an Otto), 1 mystery snail, 3 ghost shrimp)

On June 17, as a last day of school and good grades present. My dad bought me 4 neon tetras (1 turned out to be a cardinal tetra), 1 mystery snail, 1 african dwarf frog, and 1 twin tail halfmoon male betta.

Later that day I decided that I needed another tank.

So now.
I have 1 betta, 4 tetras, 1 mystery snail, 3 ghost shrimp, 1 african dwarf frog, and a algea eater in a 10 gallon.
And 1 betta and a mystery snail in a 5 gallon.

Both tanks are cycled, filtered, heated, and have lots of plants (real and fake) and decor...

Recently I found out that my favorite petsmart worker was my neighbor! They love bettas too! She gave me a bunch of supplies and tanks and filters and heaters.

So now I have some spare tanks, 4 to be exact.... And 2 of hem are not filtered.

My friend offered me 4 bettas, can 2 of them live in the unfiltered tank is I hangs the water every 3 days? Ps they are heated....
Bettacrab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 03:39 PM   #2 
LittleDeer

That would depend on how big the tanks you got are. how many gallons are you dealing with for each unfiltered tank?
LittleDeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 07:23 PM   #3 
Bettacrab

Well one is 1 gallon and then the other is 1.5 gallon
Old 07-10-2013, 07:33 PM   #4 
Laki

You can keep one betta in each of those tanks. NOTHING else. Even with a filter (which doesn't "clean" water, it only moves it around) you need to clean a tank under 5g once a week. 1 and 1.5g should be cleaned twice a week. Of course, if you can pack it heavily with plants you might get away with once weekly changes. Better to go less on the plants and more on the swimming space for them though in a tank that small. Just clean it enough and turkey basters are your best friend here!!

Secondly, ADF like to have company of their own kind. If you can get a spare 5g to put 2 frogs in they would be much happier :) Or a 10 gallon with 3-4 frogs!

Go to this site http://www.aqadvisor.com/ to estimate how much you can add to the tanks based on the size of tank and plants and filtering and stuff.

I would love to see pics :)

**had to edit out a lot of my post bc I thought your 10g was a 5g with all that in it! haha
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 09:14 AM   #5 
Bettacrab

Thanks guys, I'm trying not to get more fish. I'm hoping that I do t get any fish. Cause I really don't want a betta in anything smaller then a 2.5 gallon. And thanks ill get the groggy a friend. Ill post pics tonight..,