Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-11-2013, 02:15 PM   #1 
jadaBlu

Quarantine cories bare bare bottom or my tank that used to have a healthy fish in it?

I have a tank free as I am switching over to NPT's that is cycled and the fish that was there is healthy and has been for months. However, that's not a true quarantine. My other choice is to do a bare bottom tank and keep changing the water frequently. They are going into a sorority tank. I do 30 day quarantines.
jadaBlu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 04:41 PM   #2 
TheGoldenBetta

I don't quite understand your question, but I would quarantine them before putting them in your tank.
TheGoldenBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 05:00 PM   #3 
shellieca
Reference Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadaBlu View Post
I have a tank free as I am switching over to NPT's that is cycled and the fish that was there is healthy and has been for months. However, that's not a true quarantine. My other choice is to do a bare bottom tank and keep changing the water frequently. They are going into a sorority tank. I do 30 day quarantines.
If I understand correctly the bare bottomed tank wouldn't be cycled but you are planning to do frequent water changes. The other tank is cycled which would mean less maintenance. Sounds like its matter of your preference given the tanks are the same size. I wouldn't put 3 cories in a 2g tank even for 30 days.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 10:18 AM   #4 
jadaBlu

They are in the cycled 5 gallon. 5 gallons was the size intended. They were floating in a bag when I asked the question. I waited awhile. I decided they came from a foreign tank at the pet store that had more mum in it than mine does. I read that cories can get a fungus from being in bare bottom tanks so I put them in the aready set up tank. Basically the downside to doing it this way is I am exposing them to one more set of fish germs than they would have been exposed to otherwise. I could have avoided that by putting them in a bare bottom tank. However no gravel may have been worse for them. I will still have to keep doing small water changes because I think six fish however small is too much for a five gallon.
Old 07-12-2013, 12:00 PM   #5 
TheGoldenBetta

I get what you're saying now, that was a good choice. Sorry I misinterpreted your question. :)
TheGoldenBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 03:20 PM   #6 
jadaBlu

No offense taken my question was slightly unclear.