Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Planted Betta Tanks
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-12-2013, 06:09 PM   #1 
BittyB

Help me decorate this tank!

I'm still trying to figure out what else to add into this tank, live plant wise. It's low tech, low light so that narrows it down a bit but wondering what do you think to do for a background and a foreground plant? Just gravel on the bottom, but can perhaps do root tabs or grab some substrate and sand if there's a plant out there.

Maybe a java jern in the back to kinda block the filter?
No clue what to put in the foreground though....
Thinking of putting some moss like flame moss on the driftwood?

BittyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 06:56 PM   #2 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

If you got a clamp on light from home depot like this: http://www.homedepot.com/p/Commercia...specifications and got a 10 watt CFL 5,000-6,500K bulb to put in there it'd upgrade your lighting to a good medium light which will help your low light plants too. You can still keep it low-tech but have some good lighting. Anyway my suggestions below would be if you upgraded the light, I just did this on my 3 gallon Cube same as yours because that LED wasn't even growing my Java Fern lol

For the back of the tank I'd do some Anacharis or Valisneria and have it bend over the water towards the front while it's almost like a forest behind the driftwood. And then in front of the driftwood you can get some Dwarf Sagittaria and you can cut it so that it grows taller towards the back where the taller plants would be and then have it shorter in the front to make a carpet! Those would benefit from root tabs definitely and they're easy to use as well
lilnaugrim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 07:34 PM   #3 
BittyB

Im planning on upgrading my lighting to something that grows up to medium. Thinking of keeping to something small for the tank sits on the counter so might keep to LEDs, but stronger ones.

Dwarf Sag seems like a good idea for the front. I like that grass look for the foreground.
Old 07-12-2013, 07:41 PM   #4 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

LED's really can't grow much other than low light plants. The Fugeray by Finnex is about the only LED light system that can grow medium light plants but it's pretty costly. What I suggested will save you money as well initially and although in the long run LED's will cost less electricity, they do burn out easily and then are extremely difficult to replace. Just thought I'd let you know of course you can totally get what you want, I certainly don't mind haha, but definitely research the light first to see if they give out a PAR rating for the light.

But yeah, I love dwarf sag as well! I've actually just ordered my first ones so hopefully I can start growing some myself....not that I need anymore plants >.< but basically I hope to do basically what I suggested to you in my Cube lol at least with the dwarf sag I will be, I've got Quilwort in the back so far doing well but I haven't had it long.
Old 07-12-2013, 07:57 PM   #5 
BittyB

Yeah Ive been asking on planted tank about lighting. Im still on the fence I was looking at a Finnex or looking at perhaps just sticking with incandescent which seems so much less confusing. Some of the LEDs arent very clear on their levels. Im gonna go look at Home Depot at that clamp. I definitely want to keep the aesthetics nice but if it looks good and cheaper, Im for that. That got me thinking perhaps those clip on desk lamps with the bendy necks would probably work too! Ive seen some that were rather stylish so it might me the best option actually. Solid advice so I appreciate it. It got me thinking outside the box. I'm gonna probably go to the store right now and look at clamp lamps. Haha.

Last edited by BittyB; 07-12-2013 at 07:59 PM.
Old 07-12-2013, 08:12 PM   #6 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Yeah you could use the desk lamps too but you want something ideally with a good reflector on the inside like the clamp on ones from home depot. Can't really beat aluminum lol it actually doesn't look too bad on the tank, I can get a picture for you tomorrow to show you how it works and how it looks.

Also, stay away from incandescent's for a planted tank, I cannot stress that enough lol you literally cannot grow anything or at least much of anything with them. They don't produce enough light, even with a good reflector.
Old 07-12-2013, 08:19 PM   #7 
BittyB

That was a mind slip that one! CFLs. Welp if I dont like the aluminum I guess I can always paint the outside and keep the reflective inner.
Old 07-12-2013, 08:22 PM   #8 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

lol okay XD I do that frequently too haha

Yeah I'll get you some pictures tomorrow if you want to see it painting might not be a bad idea! I wonder if the acrylic can stand up to high heats though, perhaps some Krylon spray pain is in order! lol scheming over here