Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Planted Betta Tanks
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-09-2013, 08:23 AM   #1 
Laki

update on planted tanks

Plants are doing good, I haven't done an update on the tanks for a while. Since Bowser passed I removed the divider on the 5g and Lude has the whole tank. He's looking old now so this is his retirement haha

I didn't take pics right away when I bought the anacharis bc my jinx has always been, I'd buy a pile of new plants and take a dozen pics and then they would all die/rot. The anacharis is growing tonnes and filling up my tanks and is doing well when I plant it. Wisteria is struggling actually, I think there's one small piece trying to grow. And my hornwort is also struggling.

In my 5g I have:
Asian Ambulia
hornwort
water wisteria
java fern
anubias (not sure which kind)
anacharis
salvinia

In the 3g I have:
Asian ambulia
hornwort
java fern (different kind than in the 5)
one small stem of hygro floating around trying to grow
forest of anacharis!
salvinia

In the shrimp tank I have marimo moss and java moss. My substrate is regular gravel and the planted ones seem to do fine in it. Anacharis pulls itself out of it every now and then.
Attached Images

Laki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 07:31 PM   #2 
TakingthePlunge

Very nice! I can't wait until my little sprigs of wisteria start springing up. they keep uprooting themselves and floating all over the tank, and Penelope chases/tows them everywhere. :sigh:
TakingthePlunge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 08:13 PM   #3 
Laki

Thanks!

My piddly measly little piece of wisteria floats too. I cannot keep it planted, so I'll try to let it grow floating until the stem is stronger :)
Old 07-12-2013, 09:03 PM   #4 
paris38

So beautiful and lush!Do you ever have problems with algae? I have been having an excessive amount in my planted tank.
paris38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 09:39 PM   #5 
jesssan2442

I need some anacharis!!! I'm trying to get the jungle look so I think that plant would be a nice addition, I just got my first plant yesterday tho so I guess I should take it slow!
jesssan2442 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 09:47 PM   #6 
Laki

Thanks! I love how lush it is! My 5g is just getting over the terrible algae problem. It was way worse when the tank was divided, the light was not evenly distributed or something bc reducing photo period was not very helpful, my algae grew in the dark I think! My 3g in the window has an awful algae problem. I have stopped fertilizing altogether bc obviously there's enough nutrients in there without!

My newest nerite passed away so I need to get another I think, I don't want to risk moving Milly (whose always been in the 5g and I haven't picked her up in like 9 months!)

Anacharis is one of those noxious plants that some people give away for free or cheap bc it grows so fast! I bought 2 bunches and the LFS guy gave me a free bunch. It's after growing and I have nowhere to put it! If you were in Canada I would send you some!!
Old 07-12-2013, 09:57 PM   #7 
jesssan2442

I can get some pretty cheap locally!! I just have to wait until my mom will take me to the our LPS!! I hope it grows like yours because I have four tanks that I'd like to turn into jungles!! I'm also thinking I may start a shrimp tank soon so extra plants are always good!!
jesssan2442 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 10:26 PM   #8 
Laki

Oh your shrimp will love it! The only reason I haven't given my shrimp the anacharis is bc the lighting on my shrimp tank is very bad. It would just die in there. But both my lights on the fish tanks are 6500-6700k.