Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Planted Betta Tanks
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-12-2013, 05:26 PM   #1 
Kalari32

What type of lighting?

I have a ten gallon tank with two 25 watt incandescent bulbs. What type of lighting does this give me?
Kalari32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 05:39 PM   #2 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

It gives you poop.

lol actually if you're trying to figure out "low, med, high" lighting, it's not ruled by watts. Wattage is just how much electricity that it's taking to light the bulb. So it doesn't tell you how much your lights really are. Also incandescent's can't grow anything if that's what you're trying to achieve.

I really suggest you get two mini CFL (compact fluorescent light) around 9 or 10 watts each to replace them, it will give you a much better PAR rating which is what we measure our light with in the aquarium. PAR is parabolic aluminized reflector so basically we're measuring the whole unit. It's largely based on how good of a reflector you have behind the lights. like if behind the light socket's it's just the black hood, it won't reflect the light into your aquarium which gives you a lower rating but if you put tin foil back there, it's going to bump it up quite a bit!

So anyway, if you get some CFL's to replace your lights with you'll easily get medium lighting and might be able to sustain some high light plants since it's a low tank, the plants wouldn't be too far from the light. For right now your lighting is below low light rating.

Oh also get a CFL that has at least 5,000-6,500 Kelvin rating. 6,500K being better because they are brighter and it mimics the sun on a clear mid-afternoon day where the sun is at it's peak and it grows plants the best. The lower you go, the dimmer the lights are basically. usually Incandescent's are around 1,000-2,000K...no good!

Hope that helps some!
lilnaugrim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 06:09 PM   #3 
Kalari32

There is metal behind the lightbulbs :)

The only thing is that the lightbulbs have to be tubular.
Old 07-12-2013, 06:11 PM   #4 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Yup, that metal is okay for reflecting, not great, but it does help. My example of the black behind the bulbs was just examples ^_^

And yes all CFL's are screw in's. Hence they are compact where regular fluorescent's are tubes with the two pin connectors. You see CFL's all the time in light fixtures through the house because they save energy. Brighter lights with a lower wattage meaning they light better than incandescent's but take less energy which means less money
Old 07-12-2013, 06:13 PM   #5 
Kalari32

Okay I see :) Thank you so much for helping me!
Old 07-12-2013, 06:17 PM   #6 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Very welcome!
Old 07-12-2013, 09:37 PM   #7 
Ilikebutterflies

I can keep red plants red with two 13w cfl's in my 10g hooded tank. That's medium-high light at the least. You have to be careful with too much light or you will have an algae farm in no time. The "mini" compacts fit much better. I think I paid $7 for a 3 pack @ Wal-Mart.

The cfl's also won't heat the water as much as incandescent lights.
Ilikebutterflies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 09:56 AM   #8 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

lol yep, Home Depot/Lowes and Wal-mart are your friends when it comes to getting fish stuff that aren't technically "fish" stuff