Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-21-2013, 10:13 PM   #3101 
AyalaCookiejar

I personally do not find it necessary to do 100% daily changes when treating for anything besides external parasites. Its a personal choice, but I think daily 50%s with a siphon are fine with one 100% per week, because it will cause less stress. I found that when I moved my male VT to a one gallon tank to treat him for internal parasites and did large water changes, he just got really stressed. I ended up just feeding him soaked medicated pellets on his normal feeding schedule in his normal five gallon tank and it worked just fine.

Clean water is obviously a must with fin rot, but ammonia isn't going to build up that fast in a 2.5 gallon and if it stresses him, it will lower his immune system making him prone to secondary infections.
AyalaCookiejar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 04:42 PM   #3102 
ICEAL

Can i put a panda cory on a tank where i will breed bettas? Or will they eat the eggs and fry?
ICEAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 04:04 PM   #3103 
justmel

It appears I will be moving soon. Not far, in the same area. I could probably have my tanks set up again within 2 hrs of tearing them down. I was wondering if there was any suggestion on how to handle the move or precautions I should take? I will be moving 17 males, 8 females, 1 unsexed juvenile, 5 guppys, 2 cory cats, and around 20 6 week old fry. I plan on getting zip lock bags and a cooler or two as needed. The adults I know will be bagged separately of course, but should I bag the fry separately or a couple to each bag or what?
justmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 04:08 PM   #3104 
justmel

Quote:
Originally Posted by ICEAL View Post
Can i put a panda cory on a tank where i will breed bettas? Or will they eat the eggs and fry?
I think it is ok to have the corys in there from the start. If I'm correct they won't eat the live fry, but can help clean up the dead fry and extra food. I added cory cats to my fry tank when I moved them to their 29 gallon grow out tank.
justmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 07:32 PM   #3105 
JellOh

Can I use aquarium salt and epsome salt in the same aquarium at the same time? (He's a pretty sick fishy)
JellOh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 10:56 AM   #3106 
KCalNeon

Hey everyone!

What's the difference between the nitrogen cycle and the aquarium cycle? Are they the same thing?

Do you have to clean and quarantine live plants before putting them into your tank? How do you clean/quarantine live plants?
KCalNeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 05:48 PM   #3107 
Plshelpnewfishy

My beta seems to have "swelling" around his Gil's for lack of a better a term what could be the cause of this?
Plshelpnewfishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 11:03 PM   #3108 
Graceful

Quick question: the nitrates in my tank are at 20 ppm. I also just learned that the lights in my tank are 15 watt incandescent, and that I need fluorescent. Could this be causing my plants to suffer, and therefore be causing the nitrates to not be absorbed properly?

Is the solution to my high nitrates a simple change in lighting, along with continuing regular water changes?
Graceful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 11:23 PM   #3109 
Bigdawg355

How do you make sure mystery snails are ich free?
Posted via Mobile Device
Bigdawg355 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 11:51 PM   #3110 
HeadlessLegoMom

Is a filter supposed to have bubbling water behind the media or a stream of bubbles rising from the air inlet port? Also, is the water supposed to be a steady stream or is it supposed to swell with every gush?

First time using a filter and want to make sure that it is in proper working order before adding fish...
HeadlessLegoMom is offline   Reply With Quote