Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-06-2009, 08:34 PM   #1 
5green

Angry fish abuse

i was at petco the other day because my tank broke and i ask the manager about the tanks he reccomends this 2 gal i take it. then, i look at the bettas (just for fun ) and the manager comes by (i guess he thinks i was gonna buy a betta) and he tells me that i could put two female bettas in there,one per gallon (how stupid ).... i didnt want him to look dumb so i just buy the tank and leave but ,now that i think of it that was really stupid cause ,he might be telling people that dont have a clue about bettas
5green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 08:59 PM   #2 
Jupiter

Yeah unfortunately, it seems people that work at petstores don't know much about bettas.

The place I got Felix from, I was staring at him before a lady came and asked if I needed advice about him. I told her no thanks, but later she came with a few other employees and started talking about how great he would look in one of the little 'betta kits' they were selling...less that .5 gallons bowls. So I can just imagine the type of advice she would have given me. :/

Though they did ask if I had everything set up when I went to pay for him, which is good...
Jupiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 09:01 PM   #3 
Jynx

it's very common for pet store employees to give bad advice about bettas- which is part of why this forum exists in the first place :P
of course its not just betta who suffer, but all manner of aquarium fish- and especially aquatic turtles. my idiot sister thought she could handle baby turtles and dumped them on me after less than two weeks when they got sick.
it doesn't help when the boxes fish supplies come in have photos of overcrowded fish on them as an example of use :P
Jynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 09:03 PM   #4 
dramaqueen
Banned

Once, a checker asked me what size tank I had. One of these days, I'm going to ask what size tank they recommend for 2 female bettas and see what they tell me. lol I'll report my findings on bettafish.com. lol
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 09:09 PM   #5 
Jynx

i'm freaked out by how many people show up on this site thinking betta live in pairs like love birds O_o
Jynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 09:59 PM   #6 
AlexXx

ive been told some idiotic things by pet store people, even the local fish stores you would think are more mom and pop kind of owned, where people do it cuz they love, are just as bad. But petsmart is by far the worst ive seen. Such idiots....
AlexXx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 12:07 AM   #7 
dr2b

I don't think it's the fact they are idiots. I think they are just undereducated. Pet stores (especially large chains) don't take the time to educate their employees. They are more concerned about getting the employee on the floor and trained ASAP and making money. Sadly, they just don't care to take the extra time to pay the employee to be educated in their designated department...and usually the fish department is the worst of all. I mean honestly, how hard is it to tell someone how to take care of a dog, cat, bird, etc. I mean any average Joe could do that...
dr2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 12:42 AM   #8 
iheartmyfishies

Yes! Creating a fish tank is a delicate process. You're making an ecosystem for your pet to live in. A lot of people just don't get it.
iheartmyfishies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 07:52 AM   #9 
ChristinaRoss

i once overheard a conversation about snails...........the customer asked if she bought two, would they breed, she didnt want them to. the salesgirl told her snails dont breed, they come OUT OF ROCKS!!!!

lmao
ChristinaRoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 08:34 AM   #10 
dr2b

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristinaRoss View Post
i once overheard a conversation about snails...........the customer asked if she bought two, would they breed, she didnt want them to. the salesgirl told her snails dont breed, they come OUT OF ROCKS!!!!

lmao
Okay well that salesgirl was an idiot. In this case I would use my motto "you can't fix stupid!"
dr2b is offline   Reply With Quote