Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-13-2013, 10:13 AM   #11 
Stone

I have had countless ornaments from penn plax where the paint has bubbled and started peeling off, I am getting to the point that I am only using driftwood and rocks for decore, or coating anything i buy with some krylon fusion clear coat
Stone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 10:27 AM   #12 
Skyewillow

Even with Driftwood, you have to be careful. People tend to just pick wood up and sell it, without even knowing what it is.

We had a piece in the tanks for a year, and when my fiance broke it to use a piece in the shrimp tank he wanted, it started poisoning the shrimp. Turned out to be pine!
Skyewillow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 12:42 PM   #13 
thisismydesign

In regards to the Penn Plax Skull

Since I've soaked it in the hydrogen peroxide bath I haven't seen the layer of slime yet. It's barely been over a day, but after I tried the vinegar bath the slime had already started coming back. I'm hesitantly taking this as a good sign.

Hannibal (my baby betta) loves the batta hammock I got him. The wire is on the bottom and doesn't stick out if the top at all. I feel safe letting him have it. The problems listed seem (to me) to have been defects. If you want one of suggest examining it before putting it in your tank and return it if you don't feel safe. Just my two cents.
thisismydesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 12:44 PM   #14 
LebronTheBetta

I have the hammock, too. It will be safe and mostly useful to some fish as long as you take the wire out; that's what I did.

The skull looks like it's actually covered in watery blood. D: I wish PennPlax can just lose business.
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 12:54 PM   #15 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

PennPlax makes good, cheap thermometers, but that's about all they're good for lol.

Any decoration that doesn't pass the panty hose test (run a pantyhose all over the dry decoration, if it snags at all it could snag on fins) is dangerous and potentially damaging, especially to males with long fins. There are too many to list!
MattsBettas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 02:34 PM   #16 
thisismydesign

Quote:
Originally Posted by LebronTheBetta View Post
I have the hammock, too. It will be safe and mostly useful to some fish as long as you take the wire out; that's what I did.

The skull looks like it's actually covered in watery blood. D: I wish PennPlax can just lose business.
I'll see what I can do about the wire.

The red skull isn't mine, but Skyewillow's. Mine isnt painted red. It still seems ok for now.
thisismydesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 04:21 PM   #17 
jadaBlu

Stone does the paint odor go away with the Krylon clear? Are you soaking the ornaments after you coat them?
jadaBlu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 05:52 PM   #18 
BittyB

Quote:
Originally Posted by bettalover2000 View Post

I have heard multiple accounts of this having a metal wire in it that will GUT their fish if they lay on it. I've obviously never bought it.
I just checked on mine, just in case. The stem isnt showing any metal, but the very tip where it goes into the suction cup it is sort've exposed. Rust danger? Im getting some sealant for it.
BittyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 09:40 PM   #19 
Skyewillow

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadaBlu View Post
Stone does the paint odor go away with the Krylon clear? Are you soaking the ornaments after you coat them?
I'm interested in this too. Got home from the store to pick up tank supplies, and my giant's castle smelled funny too! Ugh!
Old 07-13-2013, 11:41 PM   #20 
Skyewillow

the offending ornament

Smells like paint when soaked in room temp water.