Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-06-2009, 11:04 PM   #1 
Jupiter

What do you think?

It seems fortune's playing on my side...

Today one of my classes was cancelled, so I went to the store I got Felix from to see the bettas. Only a few mangy veiltails, and one STUNNING crowntail that I'm almost 100% sure I'll be bringing home tomorrow...

He's all black, but he has a cluster of iridescent blue scales around his dorsal fins. Which lead me to thinking...might he be a steel blue? Do you think he'll lighten up when I bring him home? No offense to those who like them, but I'm not a fan of steel blues...I do hope he stays black. But I'll probably be getting him anyway, the lady said he's been there for quite a while and he is rather pretty. He was lying in his little bowl, but swam up to nose me when i picked him up. :)

As you know, I'll be going back home this Friday to get my 5 gal...so you think he'll be okay in that breeding net? I took out the decor that I think Felix got stuck in, replaced it with a small plastic plant. Gloria's in there right now becausethe past few days she's been very nippy towards the girls and took a rather large chunk out of Lolita's fin. I have a 1 gal at home that I might house her in if she keeps it up...

So do you figure it's okay that I buy the male tomorrow, move Gloria back in the tank (she's been in there since yesterday), and keep him in the net until I return on Tuesday? And is possible, do you think you can tell if he'll change colours?
Jupiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 11:20 PM   #2 
AlexXx

I think i saw a very similar CT today! All black tiny bit of blue along the inner fins, but the one i saw had all white tips on his rays. So cool! It was tempting, but i have no room. I dont know about brightening up. none of my betta have done that. And ive read time outs for girls have worked in the past. I would try to re add her.
AlexXx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 07:55 AM   #3 
ChristinaRoss

id readd her as well. in my experiance with the females, the longer their in there together the more they get used to each other. alot of mine were nippy at first, now everyone just does their own thing, so to speak

ive brough home quite a few males that changed colors when i got home. i think it all has to do with the stores lighting. take him by a store window and see what he looks like in sunlight, itll probably be a truer color.
ChristinaRoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 01:35 PM   #4 
Jupiter

Okay, I bought him! but I need help asap please...

So I bought him, broguht him home without a problem...looked at him in in the sunlight (a little more blue on his fins than i thought, but still black) but then...I noticed he had a small patch of fungus on his dorsal fin! The water he was in was kind of iffy, so with all the little debris floating around i didn't see it.

It's not big though, just a little patch of white fuzz on his dorsal fin.

So I looked around my uncle's fish stuff, and fortunately he has medication for fungus.

I did a 50% water change before I added him, added some more salt to the tank (which I was putting in to help Lolita's fin). Sooo here are my questions:

1. Will clean water&salt be enough to treat his fungus? It's still not very big, I think he just got it recently from his dirty water.
2. If I do have to medicate him, will it be safe to treat him directly in the 10 gal? Will my other girls be okay? Or should I seperate him in a bowl instead?

He's so pretty though. his blue is more of a navy...right now he's flaring for life against the bag I'm floating him in. Aigis was sooo in love with Felix, but none of the girls seem to care for this new guy much.
Old 10-07-2009, 01:42 PM   #5 
dramaqueen
Banned

I would try clean water and salt for now. If he doesn't get better, or gets worse, you can try some medicine. I would try JFE or JFC if you have it.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 01:45 PM   #6 
Jupiter

Okay, I do hope he gets better. What my uncle has is some fungus medication by API. Will it be safe for the girls, though, if I add it?

Oh, and how long should I wait to see 'results'? To see if he gets better or worse, I mean.
Old 10-07-2009, 01:47 PM   #7 
dramaqueen
Banned

I would treat him separately. I'd give it about 4-5 days.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 01:50 PM   #8 
Jupiter

Okay, thanks for the help dramaqueen. I'm going away this weekend, so I hope he does okay. He seemed healthy enough in the store. Well, he still acts like a normal betta. Flirting with all my girls. Lol.
Old 10-07-2009, 06:03 PM   #9 
oXsonriksXo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jupiter View Post
Okay, thanks for the help dramaqueen. I'm going away this weekend, so I hope he does okay. He seemed healthy enough in the store. Well, he still acts like a normal betta. Flirting with all my girls. Lol.
How do you know if they are flirting O,o
oXsonriksXo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 06:08 PM   #10 
Jupiter

He's flaring like crazy and wiggling trying to show off to my girls, lol. This guy flares A LOT. More than Felix did. Poor guy, all my girls are ignoring him.

But he's doing very well. He's active and flaring a lot, like I already said. Today I feed my girls brine shrimp, and he ate the small chunk I gave him (figured it wouldn't hurt to try).