Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-12-2013, 11:22 PM   #1 
Saber

Newbie! A few questions..

Hello everyone! I'm new here, and looking for a bit of advice. I recently got my own place, but sadly I had to leave my dog and my cats behind at home. I was kinda bummed and not used to being without some sort of pet, but after speaking to my landlord, I found out that I *can* keep fish, so I went off to Petsmart, planning to get a 10 gallon tank or so for some mollies or guppies.

Needless to say, I came home with a 3 gallon Marineland tank that was on sale, and a male CT betta. My only problem is that I didn't realize that I had to start a nitrogen cycle and all of that...So I sort of just acclimated him to the water for about an hour and a half, and then set him free inside. Also, before adding him, I put a tiny bit of each of these products into the tank water:

He seems alright as of three hours in the tank. He hid for a while but has now come out to explore. Do you think he will be okay as is? The only thing I forgot to buy for him is a heater, but he should be okay until my next pet store run since it's been in the high 80's here for a few weeks now.

Here's a photo of his tank! It's a little bare, I know..I just LOVE how it looks in the dark! I'm thinking of investing in some live plants for him, but I believe I need a better substrate.

Saber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 11:30 PM   #2 
LebronTheBetta

Hello, and welcome to the forum. (:

You don't have to cycle your tank, the filter would create a heavy flow. Unless you are able to get a sponge filter, and then that would work really well. :D
It's a pretty nice tank. I would get some hide outs though, or maybe a few live plants. He's a pretty CT.

I hope you added enough water conditioner? He can't live in water with chlorine and heavy metals..
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 11:39 PM   #3 
Saber

Thank you, and thank you for your advice! Do you think I should remove the current filter that's in there right now until I can get something better? He does seem to have a bit of trouble swimming with it, so I shut it off (at least for now.)

As for the water conditioner, I sort of just guesstimated with the API Stress coat, as it only has directions for 10 gallons..I put less than half a capful. The Jungle suggested 10 drops per gallon, so I did that. :)
Old 07-12-2013, 11:44 PM   #4 
LebronTheBetta

I think you should switch if off, just for now until you get a sponge filter or you just don't want filtration.

Oh, okay. You can use one conditioner if you want, too much would harm him. But that's like 10x the needed dose.

Anymore questions? Have fun betta-keeping.
Old 07-12-2013, 11:47 PM   #5 
Seki

If you look, the cap on the stress coat has lines for 1ml, 5ml, and 10ml. :) Since it's 5ml for ten gallons, then for 5 gallons it would be 2.5ml and for 2 gallons it would be 1ml. You have a three gallon tank, you said, so I would go ahead and add in 2ml of Stress Coat. It's alright to overdose a bit, it won't hurt you fish at all. Underdosing could, though, so be careful about that. :)

Welcome to the forum and the world of bettas! Careful... you're going to want more! Lovely little guy... have you named him yet? :)

ETA: I have that filter... I have that exact tank, actually. If you fill the water up closer to the top, it helps soften the flow from the filter a bit. I also have a crowntail in that tank and the filter doesn't bother him in the least. He's a bubblenesting machine, so it doesn't even deter his nest-making instincts! The current is very gentle if you have the water level up high enough. :)

Last edited by Seki; 07-12-2013 at 11:51 PM.
Seki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 12:23 AM   #6 
Namialus

Congratulations on your betta! :D

-First, I suggest you only use one of those products. I suggest the StressCoat instead of the Jungle product as StressCoat is more widely used and it works.
-Your heater: He needs one, just make sure to acclimate him. I failed to do so for my first and he died. :(
-More plants and hiding places! Your tank is empty! LOL jk jk jk, I know you want to add more things.
-About the filter current, you could also add a tall plant right in front of the output in order to scatter the water.
-Also I agree with Seki. Adding more water would also help. The intake doesn't bother him though, right?

Good luck! :D
Namialus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 12:29 AM   #7 
Saber

Thank you -so- much everyone! I really need to turn in since I have work tomorrow, but I appreciate all of this advice. So helpful. :)

Also thank you Seki! I didn't even realize the ml marking on the Stress Coat cap. I'm pretty sure I gave him more than enough so he should be good to go! Thank you for the tips about the tank and the filter. I will add some more water tomorrow and see how he does.

After I get a few more things for his tank, I will post an update. One last question...What kind of live plant is good for starting out with? Can it grow with that overhead LED light or does it need to be near sunlight?
Old 07-13-2013, 10:10 AM   #8 
LebronTheBetta

Moss balls, java fern, java moss, and anubias are all low-light plants. :) They don't need special care, only the moss balls need turning every few weeks or so to keep the round shape.
Old 07-13-2013, 07:40 PM   #9 
TheTrojanBetta

Hello and welcome! Wow, your guy is pretty! The blue really pops. I love the big stones you have, they match really well. I didn't notice the markings on the Stress Coat cap at first either, it sure does help though!
For a live plant that's easy, I've got a few sprigs of water wisteria in my tank. All I've done is put the roots in the gravel, and I think they're growing, or at least they're not dying.
I'm very new to this also, having just brought Odysseus home last week, but I think you're starting out well and your little guy is going to love his new home!
TheTrojanBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 11:57 AM   #10 
fishyface323

Your tank looks really nice. You can buy some silk plants for pretty cheap on Amazon. My fish has a filter and he just loves to play in the bubbles. I think it depends on your fish's personality. As long as you do frequent water changes, you don't NEED a filter though!
fishyface323 is offline   Reply With Quote