Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Spawn Logs
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-08-2013, 03:20 PM   #11 
Beezu

to date, I have had 23 losses. this seems like a big number, right? i feed them twice a day, i try to suck up as much mess as i can with a turkey baster while avoiding the babies, i give them mostly microworms with some bbs here and there. i have an airstone for bubbles, ive been slowly dripping in more water over the past couple days.

what am i missing or doing wrong?
Beezu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 04:30 PM   #12 
nmaybyte

Anything abnormal with the water chemistry?
nmaybyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 07:08 PM   #13 
Beezu

Er, I actually dont have anything to test with. I work at a local pet supply store though so i will pick up something tomorrow. I kept meaning to get test stuff but i always forget once im there.
Old 07-08-2013, 09:30 PM   #14 
nmaybyte

I've not bred any little ones (yet) but all the research I've done says that if you have an abnormally high kill rate that there might be something worth looking into. Such as the water chemistry, fungal infection, bacteria, etc. I would like for one or two of the more experienced breeders to give their input as well.

Last edited by nmaybyte; 07-08-2013 at 09:30 PM. Reason: Grammar issues. :(
nmaybyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 01:35 AM   #15 
whatsupyall

Thumbs up for dreaming about them. That's just awesome. I don't dream, but it's the first thing that come to my mind when I wake up lol. I don't know what you are doing wrong, it might just be the genetic faults that make the fry weaker. On the other hand, I don't change my water for the first two weeks. I do add water though. I guess it really depend on spawn size too. Make sure you are feeding enough. Starvation can kill fry FAST during these early stages of life. Good luck and share some pictures.
whatsupyall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 12:47 PM   #16 
Beezu

I forgot to update over here! My ammonia was high and pH was low. I've been adding a gallon - two gallons a day since i got that result and so far since i did a thorough cleaning of the bottom ive only seen one or two more casualties.

i still have like 40 or so babies left. and if i squint i think i see some arms growing!

they also seem to be more interested in swimming higher in the water column than they were before. there are a couple that have been hanging out at the top of the water. which is cool. i was getting a little concerned that they hang out at the bottom so much.

of course, thats where all the microworms end up, so maybe they just like lounging around with their snacks. ill try to get more pics up over the next day or two if i can get a good one.

pesky things are hard to photo.
Old 07-13-2013, 07:22 PM   #17 
darkangel

thats exciting :)
darkangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 09:02 PM   #18 
Beezu

ok. i took in another water sample today. everything looks good! adding a few gallons of water and blammo! everything is perfect.

you can tell just by looking at the babies that they are so much happier.

when i feed them they are far more interested in it than they have been before. i gave them some bbs earlier today and omigosh, it was so adorable. one baby in particular was just eating up everything in sight. little fat bellies everywhere :)

would it bother them much if i scooped one up in a cup to take a good picture?
Old 07-13-2013, 10:46 PM   #19 
Mar

xD Subbing, can't wait to see them grow up, so cute!
Mar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 01:45 AM   #20 
whatsupyall

Nope, would not bother them at all if you do you very carefully. I usually just take it while they are in their nursery home lol.
whatsupyall is offline   Reply With Quote