Betta Fish Forum banner

Neons or no?

3K views 14 replies 9 participants last post by  LittleDeer 
#1 ·
I keep hearing mixed messages on Neon Tetras... I hear from some people that they are great with Bettas and other people have said that the Neons have harassed the Bettas because Bettas have long fins are don't swim as quickly as the tetras... so which is it? Or does it just depend on the fish themselves?

#4 ·
In my big tank, I have a sorority of 12 girls, and they seem to be fine with the 7 tetras I have. There are 4 neons and 3 glowlines. One of my girls actually seems to think she is a tetra, she is always hanging out with them!

#9 ·
I had 7 neons in with my 11 girls at the time in my 33 and everyone was fine, no nipping whatsoever but I found that the neons were getting rowdy within their group, constantly sparring and it was really stressing my girls out. So I took the neons out and the girls were much happier.

But yeah, definitely depends on the fish, all my shorter finned boys would kill smaller fish, been there done that and won't do it again lol

#12 ·
I have a strawberry and a blueberry tetra, and of course, I din't do research until after I got them lol. :)

#13 ·
Yea my LFS got some blueberry tetras and one of the first things he said was they are going to lose their color cause it's just dye... I was like What? That's just not cool... I was sad cause I really liked the color. :-(

#14 ·
My veil tail, Captain, has a pet neon tetra. They get along really well. Captain chases him sometimes, but he never flares or snaps at him and he gives up very quickly.

#15 ·
I assume it may also depend on the size of your tank. I think anything smaller than 15-20 gallons, keeping Bettas with a whole school of Tetras may be troublesome. But I don't personally have Tetras, so I'm not definite on that. Just something to think about.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.