Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-06-2009, 08:03 PM   #11 
dramaqueen
Banned

I feed mine daphnia once a week. Let me know how the frozen works. I've never used frozen and didn't want to try it because I was afraid it would be too messy.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 08:18 PM   #12 
Jupiter

I wasn't able to find either frozen or freeze dried daphnia at Petsmart. It was included in this thing that was called Top Fin mix, which also had brine shrimp and something else...I think mosquito larvae. But I figured feeding them that would go against the whole purpose.
Jupiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 09:32 PM   #13 
Romad
TFK Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartmyfishies View Post
Cool! My Petsmart sells Hikari brand frozen daphnia.
All of my bettas absolutely love daphnia. It's fun to watch them eat it too.
Romad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 01:02 AM   #14 
dr2b

My bettas love daphnia. I had to buy my frozen Hikari daphnia at the lfs. Petsmart didn't have it (what else is new though...). I don't find it messy at all. I actually use a glass medicine dropper and drop it in slowly and that way I don't have excess in the tank. I drop it in as fast as they can eat it.
dr2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 02:01 AM   #15 
iheartmyfishies

I'll try to pick up some frozen daphnia tomorrow while I'm with my dad.... and some feeding tongs. XD
iheartmyfishies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 07:53 AM   #16 
giypsy

Daphnia is great for bettas as a supplement. My explanation to oXson was specific to his request as he has stated he does not want to buy a bunch of different food and is saving for some other purpose(s).

B splendens are omnivores. However, since they are predominantly carnivorous omnivores, we feed them a diet that is 45% or above protein based. Bloat comes mainly from constipation as their digestive tracts are shorter than herbivores.
B Splendens: constipation
and the really long, technical analysis: Fish Nutrition

Personally, I would not use peas or beef heart. I will use Spirulina in a home remedy with a little garlic oil & shrimp or bloodworms. Fortunately, while FredFish is a little temperamental, his problems is boredom, not digestion.

However; when he root-pruned all my water lettuce, I had to consider why he was destroying my brand new plants. Was it because it's his bowl and he just did not like the roots hanging down or was he constipated due to the fact he had only come home 4-5 days before and was still acclimating? Both possibilities had to be taken into consideration because they are unknown variables. In any case, a solution had to be found. Fasting worked.
giypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 10:04 AM   #17 
Calmwaters

My guys/gals love the frozen daphnia and frozen bloodworms from Hikari I must be lucky my petsmart has a good selection and really take care of the bettas and other fish.
Calmwaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 11:11 AM   #18 
dr2b

Everybody is always sold out of Hikari Bloodworms here. Its so darn frustrating.
dr2b is offline   Reply With Quote