Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Planted Betta Tanks
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-14-2013, 12:23 PM   #1 
Wolfstardobe

ZooMed African Mopani Driftwood; Sap?!

I got a new piece of ZooMed Mopani driftwood from a LFS for my new ten gallon. I set the tank up with plants from my twenty gallon as well as a cory cat and about eight trumpet snails to start the cycle.

I've been soaking the driftwood for about a week now and the tannis has finally gotten to a nice level to put it in the tank but the wood is sticky in places. Little white beads of tree sap are seeping through pores in the wood.

Has anyone dealt with sap before? I've never had a problem with Malaysian Driftwood. Should I even risk putting this piece of driftwood in the tank at all?

I tried scrubbing the sap off with a tooth brush but it gummed up the brush so bad that it was useless and boiling doesn't seem to have any effect on the sap either.
Wolfstardobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 12:39 PM   #2 
registereduser

Is it a large thick piece? I try to buy thinner smaller pieces and haven't had sticky sap, just white fuzz that goes away eventually.

Maybe you can contact the company for info? They have a "leave a message" tab on the bottom of their home page:

zoomed.com
registereduser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 03:36 AM   #3 
Wolfstardobe

It's a round piece. Looks like it was a knotted area of branch. The part that's sappy is about 1/2 inch in diameter.

I will contact them and see what they say. It did have a bit of bark that the sap seems to be originating from. I plan to remove it to see if that helps.
Old 07-16-2013, 02:51 PM   #4 
peachii

I'd get them to replace it rather than worry about putting it into the tank honestly. It shouldn't do that.

I'm not sure what sap would do to the water quality long term.
peachii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 08:46 PM   #5 
Wolfstardobe

I heard back from ZooMed and they were very interested in my predicament. They had never heard of the problem before. They wanted photos of the wood and a close-up of the sap coming out of it.

I have searched around the web and a few others have described similar issues.

They haven't said anything about replacing the product or anything else but I was very happy that they were generally interested in the problem.
Old 07-17-2013, 10:26 PM   #6 
jadaBlu

Let us know how it goes. You should ask them to replace it when you email the pictures.
jadaBlu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 08:29 PM   #7 
Wolfstardobe

I emailed the pictures and a more experienced customer representative responded. They were quite nice and very interested in the problem.

They are sending me a replacement and paying postage for me to send my sappy piece directly to them so they can "analyze" it.

The representative was shocked that it had bark or sap as the pieces they sell are suppose to be strictly "root wood" that have been "dried in the sun".

Overall it was a pleasant experience.
Old 07-18-2013, 10:12 PM   #8 
registereduser

Good! Nice to see good customer service.
registereduser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 06:02 PM   #9 
Quinn

UGH I have been soaking my wood for weeks, and was going to put it in my tank, and now I'm getting what I can only assume is sap as well... Did your issue ever get resolved?
So I should not put it in my tank then? I've seen some other posts on similar situations where some people thought it was ok to add but....
Quinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 06:50 PM   #10 
Blue Fish

Oh crap! I JUST bought some of this stuff the other day...it's been soaking for almost 24 hours. I've never bought driftwood before but I found good things online about the Mopani zoomed wood.

I'm glad the customer service was so good though, hopefully they'll get this worked out for you quickly. :)
Blue Fish is offline   Reply With Quote