Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-12-2013, 10:31 PM   #1 
Namialus

Good Betta Companions?

I have a 10 gallon tank with one betta. I want to add something else. Originally I was going to add a divider and add another betta but I'd feel bad doing so now that Plagueis has gotten used to his large home. So what are some good companions? I was thinking about cories, but that would require a school of them, right? Can I just add one? Any recommended types? Are they like bettas in terms of hardiness and such? I was also thinking about snails. What are good algae-eaters? Do I still need to feed the snails? I want just one that isn't very big (ew :P ) and a type that wouldn't breed and wouldn't carry eggs from the pet store. (no no) Please help. :D
Namialus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 10:46 PM   #2 
Laki

You can still divide it and both bettas would have 5 gallons each! but if you have already made your mind to get something else, than cories are amazing little things. They need to shoal so you cannot get less than 4 of the same kind. I used to keep albino and peppered cories. Loved them! They eat sinking pellets (so will your betta so be careful) They're not as hardy as bettas and they prefer sand as the substrate.

Snails, I LOVE nerite snails. They're all so different looking and they have smaller bioload than mystery snails and they exclusively eat algae. They mostly won't eat algae pellets, most pet stores get them wild caught bc they're so new in the hobby so they're not conditioned to eat prepared food. Only get a nerite if you have a steady growing algae wall in your tank. But if they lay eggs in a freshwater tank, they will never hatch bc nerites are hatched in saltier water (what's the name of freshwater salt tanks?? ugh, I'm so sleepy) and they're male/female so they need two anyway to mate.
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 10:53 PM   #3 
Kiara1125

Brackish tanks. xD

Anyways, my nerites leave eggs all over the place. I would go for a school of cories [such as three lined (often mistaked for juliis), peppered, or dainty] or kuhli loaches. I LOVE my kuhlis and they're so much fun to watch! I had 6 of them in a 10g and I'm keeping a single three lined cory in my 20gL. The don't need others of their own species in there, but it's nice to have more than one to see how they interact with each other. It's adorable.
Kiara1125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 10:55 PM   #4 
Namialus

About dividing, are you sure it's okay? I'm thinking Plagueis has gotten very used to his large place. :P I don't have sand as the substrate for the cories, but are they "easy" pets? Not that I can't take care of them, because I can, but what I love about bettas is that you don't need to worry about them as much as most other fish.

Do nerite snails get very big? I don't want that. :P And I don't have much algae which is the problem.

And the word you're looking for is "brackish" and thanks for the quick reply!
Old 07-12-2013, 11:01 PM   #5 
Kiara1125

My nerites tended to die off due to no algae. They wouldn't accept prepared food. Cories [and kuhlis] don't need sand. I have mine on gravel. They get through it fine and kuhlis are pretty sensitive with that. I put them in gravel and they burrow around fine in it. Just make sure that the gravel isn't too big. my fish can push my gravel around pretty easily. Here's my cory. :P

Julii cories will have only spots, not that line. Also, they don't get big [only about 2 inches] and mine loves hiding in the terra cotta pieces I have in there.
Kiara1125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 03:59 AM   #6 
RussellTheShihTzu

Cories do better on sand because of their delicate barbels. Gravel is okay and tons of people keep them on it. If you get them and your tank doesn't have enough algae, you need to feed them algae wafers as they don't much like regular food.

Cories also like to shoal so a minimum of 5 would be best. Of the Pygmy Cories you could keep 7 or so.

As to dividing? Plagueis probably won't notice the difference because a five is pretty good sized, too.

Have fun!
RussellTheShihTzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 12:01 PM   #7 
Namialus

I think I've decided that I'll go to Petsmart one of these days and look at the Bettas. If I like one of them and feel bad for it, I'll rescue it from that cup. If not, I won't force myself to make a decision "just because" I have a tank. Wouldn't Plagueis get depressed or something? :(
Old 07-14-2013, 03:27 PM   #8 
Laki

Couple of things to consider: store made dividers slip sometimes because they're made generically and some tanks differ by a cm or so. You can make a custom homemade one with this link : http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/d...ividers-21866/

And if you decide to divide and get another betta, quarentine the new one for a week or two in a separate tank so you know he's healthy and don't spread a disease to Plag.

Plagueis won't get depressed in a divided tank. He has tonnes of room with 5g and he'll be able to communicate to his tank mate. When I divided my tank and plunked Bowser (sip) and Lude in it they were so flary and active and vibrant and responsive. I think they really enjoyed each other's company after a while, they could tell if feeding time was coming and they liked to watch me and each other. But they never seem stressed out or unhappy.
Old 07-14-2013, 03:34 PM   #9 
Namialus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laki View Post
Couple of things to consider: store made dividers slip sometimes because they're made generically and some tanks differ by a cm or so. You can make a custom homemade one with this link : http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/d...ividers-21866/

And if you decide to divide and get another betta, quarentine the new one for a week or two in a separate tank so you know he's healthy and don't spread a disease to Plag.

Plagueis won't get depressed in a divided tank. He has tonnes of room with 5g and he'll be able to communicate to his tank mate. When I divided my tank and plunked Bowser (sip) and Lude in it they were so flary and active and vibrant and responsive. I think they really enjoyed each other's company after a while, they could tell if feeding time was coming and they liked to watch me and each other. But they never seem stressed out or unhappy.
I'll have to look into making my own.

The problem with quarantining for me is that I don't have an extra heater or even filter cartridges and my parents won't let me buy that just so I could use it for one week... I have a spare 1.5 gallon, can I just use that without a filter and heater?

Don't they get stressed from all that flaring?
Old 07-14-2013, 04:07 PM   #10 
Laki

As long as the temp stays constant at about 78-80F the 1.5 will be fine. No, filter's not necessary on the 1.5

They don't get stressed if you provide a lot of cover around the divider. I used live plants like java fern and asian ambulia and hygro (before it died). This way they can see each other when they want and patrol that part and also they can get away and do their own thing.