Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-08-2009, 11:33 PM   #1 
Ralphieee

Gills turning red? Questions

I really think that there's something wrong with ralphies gills I noticed today that they look discolored and there is red around them, almost like a ring. I'm pretty sure his gills didn't look like that before. It is pretty noticeable. Does anyone know what this could be or what I could do? Thanks everyone.
Ralphieee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 11:35 PM   #2 
Elena

Usually it's ammonia poisoning. How often do you change the water and how big is the tank? Is it heated or filtered? Waste accumulates in unfiltered&uncycled tanks in form of ammonia and it needs to be removed through complete water changes.
Elena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 11:43 PM   #3 
Ralphieee

oh no! He has a one gallon tank and I do a 100 percent water change once a week. It is not filtered. Is this reversable? If i were to put him in a larger filtered tank will this go away? Is there treatment?
Old 10-08-2009, 11:59 PM   #4 
Zeus

Being a new betta owner myself, I want to know how you can tell if a betta has ammonia poisoning... Zeus is red, would I be able to see the rings?
Zeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 12:17 AM   #5 
Elena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralphieee View Post
oh no! He has a one gallon tank and I do a 100 percent water change once a week. It is not filtered. Is this reversable? If i were to put him in a larger filtered tank will this go away? Is there treatment?
I would do a 100% change at least twice a week. Some of the effects of ammonia poisoning may be permanent, but it depends on how long the exposure was and how high the ammonia level. With 100% water changes each week it couldn't have been too bad unless you were overfeeding. If you can you should upgrade to at least a 2-2.5 gal. It's easier to heat too. Otherwise just keep him in the warmest room in the house. His water should be at 76-80 degrees and should not vary more that 1-2 degrees between day and night.
Old 10-09-2009, 12:21 AM   #6 
Ralphieee

My boyfriend has a larger tank, and I'm waiting for him to get home this weekend but I don't know if I should wait or just go out and buy a new one asap. I prepared his new water for the water change a couple of days ago just to be ready, do you think that water is still safe even though it was prepared on sunday? I don't know if ammonia could build up in that too. He's still eating and darting around his tank, so I think he's ok at the moment but I could be wrong. And thanks for the help
Old 10-09-2009, 12:21 AM   #7 
Elena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeus View Post
Being a new betta owner myself, I want to know how you can tell if a betta has ammonia poisoning... Zeus is red, would I be able to see the rings?
Here are the symptoms listed by Wikipedia:

Purple, red or bleeding gills
Fish may clamp, may appear darker in color
Red streaking on the fins or body
Fish may gasp for air at the surface of the tank water
Torn & jagged fins
Fish may appear weak and lay at the bottom of the tank

I think some of these may be harder to notice in a red fish. If you watch your fish daily however you will notice a change in behavior first.
Old 10-09-2009, 12:27 AM   #8 
Elena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralphieee View Post
My boyfriend has a larger tank, and I'm waiting for him to get home this weekend but I don't know if I should wait or just go out and buy a new one asap. I prepared his new water for the water change a couple of days ago just to be ready, do you think that water is still safe even though it was prepared on sunday? I don't know if ammonia could build up in that too. He's still eating and darting around his tank, so I think he's ok at the moment but I could be wrong. And thanks for the help
I think it's OK to wait. Nothing is going to happen in a few days as long as you keep the water clean. Just do a water change with water at the same temperature. Do you use water conditioner? If you do you don't have to let the water age, you can just use tap water with the conditioner drops. I recommend Prime as a water conditioner, two drops per gallon. Removes chlorine, chloramine and ammonia and neutralizes nitrites and nitrates. Your aged water should be fine since it's been at least three days since you prepared the water.
Ammonia does not build up unless there is a fish in the water or if decaying organic matter (fish food, waste, dead plants, etc.) is present. Tap water left to age for a few days will have zero ammonia.
Old 10-09-2009, 12:34 AM   #9 
Ralphieee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elena View Post
I think it's OK to wait. Nothing is going to happen in a few days as long as you keep the water clean. Just do a water change with water at the same temperature. Do you use water conditioner? If you do you don't have to let the water age, you can just use tap water with the conditioner drops. I recommend Prime as a water conditioner, two drops per gallon. Removes chlorine, chloramine and ammonia and neutralizes nitrites and nitrates. Your aged water should be fine since it's been at least three days since you prepared the water.
Ammonia does not build up unless there is a fish in the water or if decaying organic matter (fish food, waste, dead plants, etc.) is present. Tap water left to age for a few days will have zero ammonia.
Ok, sounds good. Will definitely change his water tomorrow and move him into a bigger tank either sunday or monday when my bf gets home. I do have water conditioner; thank you for telling me that if you use it you don't need to age the water, i did not know that! That will save me time in the future. I'm feeling a little better about this now
Old 10-09-2009, 12:38 AM   #10 
dr2b

I agree with the water change to help it. But please do not mess with ammonia removers, they can have long term negative effects. Good luck hun!
dr2b is offline   Reply With Quote