Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-08-2009, 10:52 PM   #1 
Ralphieee

List of supplies to get at Petco/Petsmart?

Can anyone help me to create a shopping list for items that are essential to betta owners that I can get at petco or petsmart? I went to Petco the other day but I was too overwhelmed by all the product options and didn't know what to buy, so that's when I decided to consult you all =)! Thank you!
Ralphieee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 10:58 PM   #2 
dr2b

at least 2.5 gallon tank, a thermometer, a heater, pellets, net, silk or live plants, some places to hide (cave, bridge, etc), gravel or glass beads, fd or frozen bloodworms or brineshrimp, water conditioner (prime or aquasafe is what many people use here). I feel like I am missing something. Someone will come along and think of it I'm sure :)
dr2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 11:09 PM   #3 
Jynx

it's best to get everything and set it up and let it sit for a week- with the filter running if you have one

when you get your fish it's very important that you choose a healthy one- these fish often get sick from sitting in those little cups

it's also important to get a tank with a lid- betta jump out of their bowls all the time- do you have a specific budget for this project? if we have some idea of what you want to spend we can make some more specific recommendations on tanks.
Jynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 11:15 PM   #4 
Ralphieee

I don't want to spend that much if I can help it, but I still want to give my fish a good environment. I already have aquasafe and his food, but I think he already might have ammonia poisoning and I'm freaking out because I'm worried about him =( Anyway, I'm thinking fifty dollars? But I think that may not be enough. My boyfriend has a ten gallon terrarium tank that we're going to see if it holds water, and I might use that and go buy a filter and a heater. What do you think about that?
Old 10-08-2009, 11:20 PM   #5 
dr2b

You can find tanks with the stuff you need on craigslist in good condition for cheap. Check there. I got a 5 gallon corner eclipse with the heater and thermometer for $20 or $25. It was in great condition for being used.
Old 10-08-2009, 11:24 PM   #6 
Jynx

how old is this tank? where was it stored and why was it out of use? if it's been someplace where there's dirt and stuff you'll have to clean it carefully

how big is the tank he's in now? if you want something bigger but still cheap you could get the biggest size of critter keeper

have you been using a water conditioner?
Old 10-08-2009, 11:27 PM   #7 
1fish2fish

Like jynx said it helps to know what budget your working with.

Essentials I think are..
tank. (any where from 2.5+ gal depending on how many fish your getting.. with lighted hood)
filter.. the one I use is whisper and seems to be low flow impact on the fish
heater 50w (if you can afford one with actual temp setting I would get it)
gravel (i would stay away from the beads bc I've had them break and I suspect tore my fishes fins... but its your option)
Vacuum and siphon (if you get a tank 5+ gal I would think)
betta pellets
water conditioner (prime works well but is highly concentrated and you would only need a teeny amt for a 2.5 gal (its 1ml of prime for 10 gal))
silk plants (if this is your first tank I would def not try to do live plants)
cave or some other decoration with room to hide in
net
thermometer ( i like the glass ones that actually look like thermometers, work well and are cheap )
and like the first poster said bloodworms or brineshrimp ( i used freeze dried)
bucket (always useful when filling up your tank)
test kit (to test your ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate levels during your cycle)

thats all I can really think of. Definitely hold on to the cup you buy him in in case you want to take him out to clean, etc.

Good Luck on your new fish and make sure to put up some pics of your set up and new fish when he /she comes home
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 11:29 PM   #8 
Jynx

i think she already has the fish- he sounds sick maybe >_>

if you weren't using a water conditioner the water could be making him sick
Old 10-08-2009, 11:32 PM   #9 
dr2b

She already has a thread in the betta emergency section about her fish. She said there and here that the betta has red swollen gills and we think it's ammonia poisoning. He is currently in a 1 gallon bowl and she was changing the water once a week. She also said above you that she uses Aquasafe.

I knew I forgot something - the water siphon and testing kit thanks for getting that on the list lol.
Old 10-08-2009, 11:36 PM   #10 
Ralphieee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jynx View Post
how old is this tank? where was it stored and why was it out of use? if it's been someplace where there's dirt and stuff you'll have to clean it carefully

how big is the tank he's in now? if you want something bigger but still cheap you could get the biggest size of critter keeper

have you been using a water conditioner?

My boyfriend's tank was previously used to house a tree frog or a hamster, so i don't know if it would be safe for a betta? It was stored in his attic so I'm sure I'll have to clean it but I don't know the proper way. And I have been using Aquasafe as my water conditioner.