Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-08-2009, 11:38 PM   #11 
Ralphieee

Oh and thank you all for the "shopping lists!" This is going to make my trip to the pet store soo much easier. Do I need any preventative measures, like aquarium salts or anything like that? I've heard that they're good but am not sure.
Ralphieee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 11:42 PM   #12 
dr2b

You can use vinegar or bleach for cleaning the tank. But make sure you RINSE RINSE RINSE RINSE when you do that. After rinsing a lot, let it sit in the sun for a day or so...and then RINSE RINSE RINSE somemore. I always like to put water in it, and test after it has sat for a little bit to see if the plain water is testing okay to make sure it's clean. The important thing here is rinsing....you can never rinse to much.

Aquarium salt is always great to have for preventative and for if your betta gets sick. You can get that at any pet or fish store. I use API's Aquarium salt.
dr2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 11:43 PM   #13 
Vikki81207

I have a betta shopping list on my site.
It's in my sig. Sorry if this is late lol
Vikki81207 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 11:44 PM   #14 
Jynx

you should take it outside and spray it with the hose over and over and maybe wipe it down with a paper towel and let it dry in the air
a ten gallon needs a filter- cleaning it out by hand would be a huge pain- you can get one that fits over the side- but you might need to buy a lid if it was used for animals before- betta will jump out of the tank
Jynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 11:45 PM   #15 
Ralphieee

Oh, one more question, sorry lol. When I move my betta from his small tank to his larger one, what's the proper procedure? lol
Ralphieee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 11:50 PM   #16 
dr2b

You need to acclimate your betta. It is helpful if you still have the cup your betta came in. You need to let your betta sit in the cup and float the cup in the new water for a bit... but you need to make sure the water is similar temps. I usually float for about 5-10 minutes depending on how close the water temps are. Then I always add a bit of the tank water into the cup and allow the betta and cup to sit in the tank for another 5 to 10 minutes (again depending on how the water change went...I have found my water has been really darn cold lately for some reason). Usually Flair swims out of his cup on his own because the cup has the hole in the lid.
dr2b is offline   Reply With Quote