Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-14-2013, 05:31 PM   #11 
Namialus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laki View Post
As long as the temp stays constant at about 78-80F the 1.5 will be fine. No, filter's not necessary on the 1.5

They don't get stressed if you provide a lot of cover around the divider. I used live plants like java fern and asian ambulia and hygro (before it died). This way they can see each other when they want and patrol that part and also they can get away and do their own thing.
I have bamboo... can I put that in the 1.5, just to act as a "filter"?

I'll try that, thank you! (You just can't get enough of these guys. :P )
Namialus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 07:43 PM   #12 
Kiara1125

Yes, just make sure that no leaves are in the water or else they will rot. I have lucky bamboo and I pulled the leaves off until they were all above the water level and I cut the stems. I put them in the gravel next to the filter and made sure that the filter was pouring all of the water onto the bamboo. You obviously don't need to do this, because you don't have to filter. For me, doing this just help the bamboo grow faster. I got 2 inch roots growing all over the stems within a week! My bamboo never grew that quickly before (root wise -- the stems and leaves were always climbing and I ended up with a 4 foot tall plant!! O.o xD). It really helps to have it in an aquarium for root growth. But, if you want a plant that grows quickly and will filter the water well, you should get rotala rotundifolia or purple cabomba. They are very easy to find and they grow extremely quickly. The purple cabomba is very soft and has gorgeous colors to it. I believe that it's a perfect addition to any betta tank. :)

Last edited by Kiara1125; 07-14-2013 at 07:46 PM.
Kiara1125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 07:49 PM   #13 
Namialus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiara1125 View Post
Yes, just make sure that no leaves are in the water or else they will rot. I have lucky bamboo and I pulled the leaves off until they were all above the water level and I cut the stems. I put them in the gravel next to the filter and made sure that the filter was pouring all of the water onto the bamboo. You obviously don't need to do this, because you don't have to filter. For me, doing this just help the bamboo grow faster. I got 2 inch roots growing all over the stems within a week! My bamboo never grew that quickly before (root wise -- the stems and leaves were always climbing and I ended up with a 4 foot tall plant!! O.o xD). It really helps to have it in an aquarium for root growth. But, if you want a plant that grows quickly and will filter the water well, you should get rotala rotundifolia or purple cabomba. They are very easy to find and they grow extremely quickly. The purple cabomba is very soft and has gorgeous colors to it. I believe that it's a perfect addition to any betta tank. :)
Thank you! I have some bamboo at home and I only need them for a week in the quarantine because I won't be setting up a filter, so okay, I'll add the bamboo to the tank. Since the betta will be there for only a week, how many water changes? Not filtered or heated.
Old 07-14-2013, 10:56 PM   #14 
Kiara1125

Well, as long as its room temp (around 74-76F) it should be fine. Anyways, since it's a new fish, it could go either way. I've heard people do daily water changes, but I tend to not do any water changes. I've had fish get super stressed out due to water changes, so I've stopped doing them during quarantine. I would just give them time to relax and change the water almost by half every few/other day(s).
Old 07-14-2013, 11:00 PM   #15 
Namialus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiara1125 View Post
Well, as long as its room temp (around 74-76F) it should be fine. Anyways, since it's a new fish, it could go either way. I've heard people do daily water changes, but I tend to not do any water changes. I've had fish get super stressed out due to water changes, so I've stopped doing them during quarantine. I would just give them time to relax and change the water almost by half every few/other day(s).
The only problem now is that my parents are saying that Plagueis will get depressed.
Old 07-15-2013, 02:56 AM   #16 
Kiara1125

He won't. Male bettas are aggressive and they don't need tankmates, but, I've had a 10g that was divided so that it had 4 bettas in it. Everyone enjoyed glaring at each other and their fins actually stayed really nice and healthy looking due to all the exercise.
Old 07-15-2013, 03:05 AM   #17 
RussellTheShihTzu
Reference Team

I had a Betta in a 12 and now he's in a divided 20 long in about 3.5 gallons and he's just fine. He's active, he's eating and I believe he enjoys the distraction of Spot on the other side of the divider.

Bettas can become "depressed" when they lose tankmates but not when they lose space.
RussellTheShihTzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 12:54 PM   #18 
Namialus

My betta gets very stressed when I put a mirror in front of the tank..
Old 07-15-2013, 03:27 PM   #19 
RussellTheShihTzu
Reference Team

That's to be expected. However, once they get used to each other they stop flaring.

By "stressed" do you mean he flares at it? That's norma; not stressl. Just don't let Plagueis flare for more than 30 seconds to a minute or you risk blowing his fins.
RussellTheShihTzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 03:33 PM   #20 
Namialus

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussellTheShihTzu View Post
That's to be expected. However, once they get used to each other they stop flaring.

By "stressed" do you mean he flares at it? That's norma; not stressl. Just don't let Plagueis flare for more than 30 seconds to a minute or you risk blowing his fins.
He got stress lines today and I only put the mirror in front of him for 10 seconds. He calmed down after I removed it, but if I put in another betta, it would be constant flaring which I'm afraid of.