Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-14-2013, 06:54 PM   #11 
ScarlettLetter86

Ok so if i use sand, what kind of sand are we talking about? Also doesn't sand have an issue with catching pockets of gas that can kill your fish? I realize that non of my fish are very expensive money wise, but I love each and every one of them and it would really make me very sad to loose them due to a silly mistake like that...how would you keep the sand from flying every where? I was really into the idea of an under water sand fall...so that may be a good idea. I have room in my tank for some more bottom feeders if they would be useful for turning the sand over. I was also thinking of doing a potted tank, like they do for discus fish. What is the general feeling on water lettuce? I like the look of it. Also do any of you guys now a good supplier of these plants. I bought plants from petsmart and my old five gallon was over run with rams horn snails. I liked them because they were great for algae, but I don't have that problem with this tank, so they would just be another burden on my bio load.
Anybody wanna take a wack at what my catfish may be? I took a vid of him today and I'll post a link when I get it uploaded.
ScarlettLetter86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 01:46 AM   #12 
Riverotter

Corydoras catfish are pretty common, come in the color pattern you described, and have bodies like the fish pictured, but have slightly different heads.

You can use only an inch or two of sand, and that's not deep enough to hold pockets of waste or gas. I never worry about it flying everywhere - it settles. Just rinse it really, really well first.

Water lettuce is very cool, and there is even a miniature variety that's on my want list. If you have the headroom for it (a well lit tank with no lid) water hyacinth is even prettier.

Craft mesh makes good pots for aquatic plants, and you can make them the size and shape you want. You can line them with cheesecloth if you're concerned about the soil coming out.
Riverotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 02:01 AM   #13 
Flyby Stardancer

OP, I just have to say that I love the name of your fish! lol
Flyby Stardancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 10:22 AM   #14 
Nicci Lu

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarlettLetter86 View Post
Ok so if i use sand, what kind of sand are we talking about? Also doesn't sand have an issue with catching pockets of gas that can kill your fish? I realize that non of my fish are very expensive money wise, but I love each and every one of them and it would really make me very sad to loose them due to a silly mistake like that...how would you keep the sand from flying every where?
I honestly think that anaerobic pockets are something of an urban myth in the aquarium hobby. However, like Riverotter implied, the sand has to be pretty deep for pockets to form. You could keep it shallow, use a poker to poke the sand every now and then, and/or stir it up where there are no plants roots. Where there are plant roots, they will prevent anaerobic pockets from forming by introducing oxygen into the substrate. You can also get some Malaysian trumpet snails to burrow through and aerate the sand.

My corys and loaches are useful to stir the top layer a bit so that particles float up and are caught by the filter.

Sand will sink quickly to the bottom and doesn't fly all over at all. When I need to add more sand (my loaches are so fond of digging, they keep uncovering the soil layer I have underneath), I just pour it in the tank and it settles instantly.

You can use the sand sold at pet stores (not the fancy live coral sand). Some use play sand which has to be rinsed first a lot more. I use pool filter sand- the size of the particles are just right, not too fine or coarse and it has a nice natural color to it. Both of these last two you can pick up at a hardware store.
Nicci Lu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 10:49 AM   #15 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

I use this method of washing my sand when I first get new sand for the tank: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d-XB0bwtZh8 it doesn't show the first steps which is just take a clean water bottle of any sort, I used a paper funnel held together by duct tape and then used a small cup to scoop out sand and into the bottle. I fill it about 3/4 and then you lower it into the tank and let it sit on the bottom as the air escapes and it fills with water, then you see in the video were you flip it over, let the sand come out and then you flip it back right side up and take it out. I then pour the water into another bucket and repeat the above steps. This replaces the washing for regular aquarium sand. I don't suggest this if you are going to use play sand or pool sand as it does require actual washing, but I use this with store bought sand and works great! I get some particles floating but it settles pretty darn quickly!

You can get pockets of the air but at each water change, I just churn a section of sand after I've vacuumed around that area so the poop doesn't go into the sand when I churn it. And so I don't worry so much ^_^ It takes about 8-10 weeks for the pocket's to form, it's not something that happens right away so really you only have to churn it once every 8-ish weeks but I just do it with the water change so I don't forget about it. I don't do it all at once either, I churn just a section of it at a time so it doesn't release a lot of gasses at once if there are gasses in there
lilnaugrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 08:37 PM   #16 
ScarlettLetter86

Hey ya'll I've got news. I've got sand on its way, I went with pool filter sand, as its supposed to be great for tanks, and I bought a few other things that I think will help with my tank. My betta is currently still in his box, but I've been letting him out to allow him time to acclimate to a bigger tank. He is currently switching back and forth with my other betta, a gorgeous purple HM boy that I just had to have. He will some be transferred to a breeder box that hangs on the outside of the tank. I just have to wait for it to get here. As for my cat fish I was wondering if anyone else wanted to take a crack at it. I have a vid up on youtube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J1FLd75HT5I this is the link if you want to look at him and guess as to what he might be. Thanks for all your help and advice I really appreciate it.
Old 07-26-2013, 08:53 PM   #17 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Just make sure to wash the sand really really well, pool filter sand can be really messy but it looks nice when clean!!

The catfish looks like it might be a young one of these: http://www.planetcatfish.com/common/...species_id=965 I'm no expert though.
Old 07-27-2013, 09:50 PM   #18 
ScarlettLetter86

thank you lilnaugrim, i will be useing the bucket method to clean the sand as I did do a little research as how to clean large amounts of pool sand, but if I hadn't known I'd be in big trouble had you not told me.

As for the catfish, you are correct in the body, except the mouth and Alfies scales are different. They are an awful lot like a corydoras. I'm telling you I have looked everywhere for what he might be. The lfs told me that he would never get any bigger and so far he's not grown at all and I've had him long enough that I think he'd be growing by now. I don't even know who else to ask...

As for my betta's a small update, I have totally redone my tank...again...and I have released the new betta into the tank, and partitioned part of the tank off to coral a very nasty tempered gourami that will be going back to the lfs. I didn't realize they were so mean and he's been terrozing my female gourami to heck and back. So he will be finding a new home with some one who can care for him better. Once he is gone Optimus will be taking his place in the smaller portion of the tank where I think he will be very happy. There's no current but he's still getting the same water quality and a very roomy three gallons all to himself. As for Jar Jar, he is doing wonderful in the bigger part of the tank and I really love watching his poke around at all the new stuff. He's a red cambodian halfmoon...who has yet to flare...dang it...with purple influence. At the store i thought he was purple and snapped him up. Turns out he was just color muted from being in a dirty cup for so long. But I love him anyway. More update and a vid soon to come!!!
Old 07-27-2013, 09:52 PM   #19 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Glad I could be of help then! That would have been super unfortunate if I didn't say something!!!!

Yeah Gourami's will often chase other female/male unless there is enough females to go around. I prefer the ratio of 1:3 M:F since they're like female Betta's; the more aggression you can spread around the better so that just not one Betta is being picked on constantly.
Old 08-07-2013, 10:02 PM   #20 
ScarlettLetter86

So my betta from petsmart died...go figure. Not sure what happened, he was fine when I left for work and dead when I got home...

But Optimus is doing so good. I decided to try turning his bubbler off and now he's happy as any betta I've ever owned. I put a sock over the internal filter to slow the water down, and I used a plastic bag over my HOB filter to baffle it. He's off in his own side of the tank, and kept there by a divider, but he really seems to like it that way. The long skirts can't pick on him, and they can still have their bubbler going. I'm getting a 50 gallon tank this weekend and I'm going to take the sand I got and plant that thing and turn it into a female betta tank. Not sure how to go about that, and I have no idea where to buy the females from, being that petsmart is the only place that sells females around where I live and I'm not buying from them again. But hey, its all an adventure, right? I'm so excited!