Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Planted Betta Tanks
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-08-2013, 10:05 PM   #1 
OrangeAugust

blue-green algae! help!

Uggghghhh I've had a bit of a blue green algae problem in my 10 gallon tank. It began when my tank started getting direct sunlight in the afternoons. It got under control enough for my snails to eat it when I stopped turning on the tank lights... but then my plants were dying because it wasn't getting direct sunlight for long enough. Anyway, i started turning on the tank lights again, but the BGA came back. it wasn't too noticeable until I switched from dark gravel to white sand... within a few days the sand was coated with BGA! ewwwww. My snails don't eat it off of the sand . So I tried to vacuum it up tonight, but it's too heavy to get sucked up all the way. It comes off in nasty sheets. So I vacuumed it and dropped the algae in piles and I had to scoop it out with a net. It's really bad. How do I get rid of it?!
OrangeAugust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 03:01 PM   #2 
xShainax

Hydrogen peroxide and a bubbler. I used both on the BGA in my 6.6 gallon and it hasn't come back in a few months. Just be weary about the leaves melting. You can find more information online. :)
xShainax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 08:23 PM   #3 
marktrc

google one two punch algae. i am going to try the first part tomorrow i think. i am going to take out some of the fish and see what happens to the ones i leave in. i dont have a powerhead or circulator so i think i willl just stir the water with something. i dont know if i can stir it for very long though but ill try.
marktrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 07:21 AM   #4 
VJM

I believe you will need antibiotics to totally eradicate it. Hopefully someone who knows what kind will come along. I am guessing Maracyn, but definitely search that because I am not sure.
VJM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 08:05 AM   #5 
Stone

here is a link with all the algaes and cures....http://www.guitarfish.org/algae

Last edited by Stone; 07-10-2013 at 08:09 AM.
Stone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 12:52 PM   #6 
OrangeAugust

Thanks, everyone.
One thing I read is that it occurs when there are low nitrates and high light... My test kit doesn't come with a bottle to test for nitrates, but I would think that it should have enough nitrates because the tank has been running for about 7 months. Should I do WC less often to give the nitrates a chance to build up? I do WC about once a week now.
Old 07-10-2013, 04:18 PM   #7 
marktrc

i have a 20L. the light is not very high. indirect sunlight for a few hours in the morning. thats all.

i decided to do the first part of one two punch. i put 5 tablespoons of hydrogen peroxide in the tank and just mixed it around. i only have a sponge filter on that tank so i just used a cup and swirled the water around for 15 mins. this is my betta sorority but it also has saimese algae eaters and neons. i took out most of the bettas but left some in to see what happens.

i removed 80% of the water after 15 mins of stirring and the fish seem fine. i am going to wait an hour to see if the fish are still ok. then i will add the rest of the bettas back in.

i have anacharis, dwarf sagi, microsword and a few diff anubias. anacharis kind of fragile so ill see what happens in the next week or so. i also saw a feeder shrimp alive in there.

on a diff tank.. 55 gal... i used maracyn for 5 days at full dose and did a black out during the treatment. the BGA has not come back after a few months. the reason i am trying peroxide instead is because maracyn gets expensive.

Last edited by marktrc; 07-10-2013 at 04:23 PM.
Old 07-12-2013, 09:58 PM   #8 
marktrc

the plants are still ok and so are the fish. problem is... so is the blue algae. i believe i underdosed slightly to be on the safe side. next time ill add an extra tablespoon of peroxide and mix more... plus i do have a water circulator on order from amazon. im trying to avoid adding the excel because of mixed opinions side effects.
Old 07-15-2013, 03:09 AM   #9 
marktrc

anacharis are dying partially. some of the leaves have fallen off but some are mostly ok. the other plants are fine and the fish are fine. also saw a shrimp which looked healthy
Old 07-15-2013, 02:17 PM   #10 
OrangeAugust

Do you still have the algae?

Tags
algae, bga, blue-green algae