Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-08-2013, 03:45 PM   #1 
BettaLover1313

The Ones You Leave Behind

Today I went to Pet Smart and once again, I saw the male that I would have taken, had I not thought he was injured. He looks like a black & white colored betta, but I imagine he'd color up into maybe a blue & white or purple and white. Anyway, I realized today that what I thought was an injury was just his ventral fins (they're really shriveled or curled, couldn't really tell) and apart from that, he's perfectly healthy. What pulls at my heart strings is that today when I touched the shelf he swam down and looked at me with the most trusting expression, and I just CAN'T take him home. That was made very clear today by my mother today when I half-jokingly, half-serious asked her what she'd do if I got another betta.

I love Dragoon. I'm glad I got him, but I wish I'd had the couple of percentages more knowledge that I have now, I hate to say it, but I would have gotten the boy that had originally captured my attention from the get-go. That being said, if the situations had been reversed and Dragoon was still on the shelf, I'd be having the same dilemma so either way it's a lose-lose.

I just feel so bad for this little guy since he's been there for almost a month now, if not longer (not sure when he came in, but I got Dragoon almost a month ago now), and it's just heartbreaking to see such a great little guy going ignored due to his faded, dull color. I'm cursing myself for thinking he was injured when he really just needed some TLC and maybe some medicine to help his fins, that's it. Stuff that I have readily available and I can't even try to give him a decent home now just due to my own situation and funds.

Sorry, I guess this is a bit of a rant, but I just feel so bad right now...that little guy deserves a loving home and not a little cup on a shelf.
BettaLover1313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 12:54 AM   #2 
BettaLover1313

Feeling better now after having a long day to think about the two wonderful bettas I already have and the poor little guy at Pet Smart. Right now, I know I can't take on another betta since it wouldn't be fair to any of them; but I still hope someone will take that little guy home since he's truly a diamond in the rough.
Old 07-12-2013, 06:47 AM   #3 
Juditko

We all have had those moments of "uh oh, I can't take this one too..." The last for me was a seriously purple halfmoon at Petsmart when we picked out our new boy a couple of days ago. He's young but is going to be really pretty! All you can do is all you can do, though.
Juditko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 09:46 AM   #4 
BettaLover1313

Yeah, that's very true, I just feel so bad since I would have taken him if I hadn't thought he was injured. I've been telling myself that I will wait till two weeks before college and if he's still there (I sincerely hope not) I will take him home with me, buy a 10 gallon tank & new heater (got a filter already that came with the 5.5 gallon that I'm not using), and just keep him in a 1 gallon critter carrier until I go back to college where he'd join Merlin & Dragoon in the 10 gallon.

This way I save up money as my mom wants, and also I'm giving it some time too. If he's not there by the time expected, I'll be happy and will just stick with keeping my two boys. If he is, well, mom can't really yell at me too much since I did as asked, saved money, and waited. She won't have to deal with the fish anyway since they'll be with me until winter break when I come home.
Old 07-14-2013, 07:52 AM   #5 
Polkadot

I understand completely,it's VERY hard to leave them.Like you,I just have to think of how extremely lucky I am to have my 3 wonderful little boys.As hard as it is not to buy more,you really have to be realistic with yourself and know your limits.For me I know that 3 is good,as much as I would love to have more I have to be honest with myself that I just can't re space,time etc.We just have to hope that they all get great homes.
Polkadot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 11:30 AM   #6 
BettaLover1313

I think I could handle three, plus Merlin would get a couple extra gallons which I know he loves if I did get another betta and got a 10 gallon. Right now though, I must hold off!
Old 07-15-2013, 04:55 AM   #7 
Polkadot

Three is very good & if you have the space,time etc,do it!
Polkadot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 11:19 AM   #8 
BettaLover1313

I made a promise to my mom that I'd wait until two weeks before I go back to college, so if that little guy is still there by then, he will definitely be coming home with me!
Old 07-16-2013, 02:01 PM   #9 
sassyfriend

Well three more betta have to suffer at mejoirs cause I had to leave them behind felt so bad about it cause the rest of their companions where ill and one was dead made me so heartsick!!!!!!!!!!
sassyfriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 03:33 PM   #10 
snowflake311

I use to work at an SPCA and ever week I would want a new dog. Some I did save others well....

My mom told me "Sarah you can't save them all" it's the sad truth.

The same goes about betta fish. You can't save them all. Maybe we should stop buying them all together and only get the from breeders. Betta fish are one of the most abused fish second to goldfish.

But if we could only get Bettas from breeders how many of the beginners would have the joy of having a betta fish. I think everyone's first betta comes from the pet store.
snowflake311 is offline   Reply With Quote