Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-13-2013, 11:37 AM   #111 
karenluvsbettas623

HI headlesslegomom, wow you have been through allot with your little fish!

well let me tell you, I had a BAD case of fin rot with my betta that was a real pain to deal with! I had my fish in a 1gallon bowl, the temperature was right and I did regular water changes. I bought him a decoration that was not sealed correctly and had chemicals. My bowl was smelling like nail polish! this caused his initial fin-rot and I believe he got real fin-rot as a secondary infection. I spent 40$ dollars on two different types of antibiotics for fin rot that did not work. Sometimes it got better only to relapse in a week. I was doing water changes every 2 days/aquarium salt/antibiotics. Finally it got really severe, to the point that I would take a picture and he would have lost a chunk in a matter of a couple of hours. Finally, I went to walmart and bought him a 5gallon clear storage container, 6.50$. Problem solved. Best investment of my life! I kept the bottom bare, would siphon out any waste as soon as I saw it, and did 50% water change a day and 100% every week. After it cleared, I only did 100% water changes once a week. To prevent unnecessary stress, I take hom out with a clear food container, I just scoop him out instead of netting him. It is easy to trap him since the container is transparent so he doesn't see it coming.

They key to clearing fin-rot is CLEAN CLEAN CLEAN water! The more water there is to dilute any toxins, the better! Do you have any storage containers around your house? use that. Your tap water is probably just fine! ammonia can build up really quickly in such a small tank. Normally with regular water changes it would be fine, but a betta was already has a case of fin-rot needs super clean water. When you mix with spring water notice that you are changing the ph of the water, and you would need to get the perfect mix every time to have it be the same. I do not recommend using spring water for that reason. When you do water changes, make sure the temperature is the same by feeling it with your fingers if you don't have a therm.

About the heater, the tank is too small for a heater because the temp will rise too high, anything above 80 is too high, high temperatures are bad for fin-rot.

Also, flaring does not cause fin-rot so if he flares at your daughter or other objects, that will not harm him. Try to get rid of the reflection but honestly I don not consider it to be a big deal in relation to fin-rot

Good luck!
karenluvsbettas623 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 11:53 PM   #112 
HeadlessLegoMom

I went out to do laundry for 4 hours and came home to another tail blow out. Seems to happen when we leave the house and he gets lonely I guess. As for the fin rot, it is worse than yesterday on his dorsal. Still minor, but definitely spreading. My pipettes came in the mail today though, and hopefully the 3 gallon tank will be here by Tuesday.

I didn't realize that the spring water would change the Ph, so what do you recommend? Doing exact measurements or not using it at all?
HeadlessLegoMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 12:01 AM   #113 
HeadlessLegoMom

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleBlueFishlets View Post
Well... a drop of water is a defined volume. It's 0.050 mL per drop.... The volume of a drop has to do with physics (surface tension, viscosity, density, etc). If you're getting different volumes, then it's not really a "drop" of water, per the definition of a "drop." (Also, for substances other than water, it may not be 20 drops/mL.... Although, I did calculate the volume of my water conditioner, and it did work out to 20 drops/mL.)

For more information:

This website will convert drops to mL (or mL to drops), based on the formal "definition" of a drop: http://convert-to.com/conversion/vol...rop-to-ml.html

And on this thread, see the 4th post calculations. The writer mathematically determines that there are 20.11 drops of water per mL. (This is a pretty cool discussion! He even discusses why rain drops can be larger than this.)... In another post on this same thread, they also discuss micro droppers. And yes, a syringe with a needle would fall under this classification, meaning that more drops would be required.... Personally, I use cheap disposable pipettes to measure out my water conditioner, not micro droppers or syringes. So I get 20 drops water per mL. And eyedroppers should yield the same results.... Anyway, here's the link: http://cr4.globalspec.com/thread/207...ume-of-Droplet
Very interesting though I got lost on some of the math/physics since that has never been my strong point. I knew that I wasn't crazy thinking that not all rain drops were sized equally. I wish that the drawn diagram was explained in a way that I could understand it though. In any case, two drops of Prime it is!
Old 07-15-2013, 12:33 AM   #114 
HeadlessLegoMom

Today's Update:

At the advice of Anhel, I increased the dose of AQ Salt to a more effective dose. That in addition to the Prime and Stress Coat seems to have helped the little black crumbly bits at the tips of his top fin to fall off. I have also noticed that the tips of his ventral fins are either white or clear. I am not sure if they turned white from fin rot OR if they are clear and growing longer because he is healing. I hadn't noticed anything wrong with them, but the shorter one got a white/clear tip two days ago, and now the other one has one as well. *Fingers crossed that this is good*

His tail is a mess from the constant flaring and a second blow out, but there is definitely LESS black stuff on the tips. Can a shredded tail grow and connect back together, or does that part have to fall off before a new part grows back? I ask because when I was siphoning the bottom of his tank, I pulled up a blue and red strip of fin that didn't appear to have any rot or anything wrong with it. I have seen him chasing his tail, so I really hope he didn't bite it off.

In any case, I am very pleased because I just tricked Buttercup into swallowing his first NLS pellet without having to mix it with a bloodworm!!! Plus, when I started this thread, I wasn't sure he'd live a week and he's still swimming hard. His tail may be shrinking, but hopefully I've just about nipped the tail rot in the bud!

Last edited by HeadlessLegoMom; 07-15-2013 at 12:34 AM. Reason: said petoral instead of ventral
Old 07-15-2013, 05:39 AM   #115 
Taeanna
Reference Team

Its good to see he is getting better.

Bettas can regrow their fins very well. I have even seen instances of fish that had lost theirs completely from various sources (I saw one story where an accidental tank swap put them in with a crayfish that tried to eat it) and they have regrown it entirely given time.
You will see that the fin will start growing transparent bits to knit all the bits back together slowly, this clear bit will go back to a normal color as the fins get thicker.
Taeanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 08:29 AM   #116 
tigerhappy26

What I did was I went to walmart and got a nice 3 gallon half moon tank (with filter,bubbler) and rocks,betta,rocks,water conditioner,water jugs,etc for under fifty dollars so I don't usually shop in store because they have WAY better deals online. I know at walmart they have a ten gall (that I have) complete starter kit with (food,filter,chemicals,light,hood,etc) for $29.97 and I ended up having that tank for 3-4 years until it broke when it was being moved after we got a new house.So try checking your local stores and stuff or maybe a smaller pet store in your area for supplies and such. I know this probably answers no questions.
tigerhappy26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 08:33 AM   #117 
tigerhappy26

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadlessLegoMom View Post
Today's Update:

At the advice of Anhel, I increased the dose of AQ Salt to a more effective dose. That in addition to the Prime and Stress Coat seems to have helped the little black crumbly bits at the tips of his top fin to fall off. I have also noticed that the tips of his ventral fins are either white or clear. I am not sure if they turned white from fin rot OR if they are clear and growing longer because he is healing. I hadn't noticed anything wrong with them, but the shorter one got a white/clear tip two days ago, and now the other one has one as well. *Fingers crossed that this is good*

His tail is a mess from the constant flaring and a second blow out, but there is definitely LESS black stuff on the tips. Can a shredded tail grow and connect back together, or does that part have to fall off before a new part grows back? I ask because when I was siphoning the bottom of his tank, I pulled up a blue and red strip of fin that didn't appear to have any rot or anything wrong with it. I have seen him chasing his tail, so I really hope he didn't bite it off.

In any case, I am very pleased because I just tricked Buttercup into swallowing his first NLS pellet without having to mix it with a bloodworm!!! Plus, when I started this thread, I wasn't sure he'd live a week and he's still swimming hard. His tail may be shrinking, but hopefully I've just about nipped the tail rot in the bud!
If you go back to petco they have a product called betta fix that is basically an all around antibiotic that could help is fin and it has good reviews.His fin should grow back if you give him this and it's very cheap for only $4.97 I know you're on a limited budget but it's whats good for your betta.Here is the name of the product API Splendid Betta BettaFix Remedy.
tigerhappy26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 10:28 AM   #118 
ANHEL123

Please read post #24 about medicine with ''fix''

http://www.bettafish.com/showthread....98#post2340898

And if HeadlessLegoMom already using salt , and if it helps you don't need to switch to medications. The salt also has antibacterial/antifungal affect and a lot of less stressful on fish then medications:)
ANHEL123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 06:56 PM   #119 
HeadlessLegoMom

I have heard many bad things about using products such as betta fix and much prefer to use conservative treatments unless absolutely necessary. As for Walmart, I don't live near one or drive, but I had someone drive me to one last week that was over an hour and a half away, and they only had three tanks for sale. A 1 gallon and two 10 gallons (too big for me), so I ordered a 3 gallon tetra half moon bubbler from Amazon. I really do appreciate everyone taking the time to respond to me and I am trying to give back by sharing my limited new-found knowledge with other new members.

I think that the tips of his ventral fins are in fact clear and growing, but I wonder why his tail isn't. I don't expect it to happen overnight or anything, but I would be thrilled to see any sign of improvement that can leave me hopeful. If you look at my avatar picture, you will see that the edge of his tail is a dark grayish color. Is it possible that is a band of gray color and that it will grow back that way instead of blue like I was expecting? I ask because I don't want to confuse a gray band for more fin rot...
Old 07-15-2013, 10:01 PM   #120 
HeadlessLegoMom

I tried to upload some progress pictures (or lack thereof) of the last few days, but they are such a high resolution and the wrong format, so I have to e-mail them to myself, re-save as bitmap, then open in paint and re-save again as a jpeg which is a pain in the behind, but after I spent 45 minutes doing just that, the pictures wouldn't even load in my e-mail.

Only ONE picture loaded out of the progression of eight showing his dorsal with the rot at the tip and his tail getting shorter and shorter. This picture is the most recent though, so his tail is the shortest (but not as rotted looking as it was) and you can see the re-growth on his ventral: