Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-09-2009, 03:34 PM   #1 
lookame

His stomache is really large

Well today when I went to feed my fish, I have a community tank with 3 neon tetras, 2 black and 2 white skirt tetras and a rubber lip plecostomos. They're all in a 10 gallon planted tank. I noticed one day about a month ago that my betta's tummy seemed a little larger than normal so I added some Mardel and left him fast a little. His tummy seemed to go down a tad. I normally feed them every other day except when they get bloodworms then I leave them fast for 2 to 3 days since all they're bellys are large then. Lately Alexander seems pretty slow and either sits at the bottom or hides in one of the plants, then today I noticed a very large tummy. I transfered him to a small bowl for him to rest and hopefully recover. I added some Mardel to see if it'll make his tummy go down again any advice would certainly be welcomed Thanks

lookame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 03:41 PM   #2 
Rain Drop

It could be a tumor.....but you might as well treat it more bloat just in case. Fast him for awhile and then feed him some daphnia.
Rain Drop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 05:04 PM   #3 
kelly528

Yupp that is some BAD bloat, if it is bloat at all! I have seen alot of bloated bettas on these forums, but that one is definitely the worst. It makes me think internal infection-- like some organ inside is jammed up and filled with fluid. Maracyn 2 would clear it up in that case.

On another note, you really should invest in a QT tank... nothing fancy, even a rubbermaid bin will do as long as it has a heater. A heater is a HUGE necessity in treating tropical fish, IMO.

EDIT: Not sure what you mean by Mardel, but if this thing is bacterial, the bacteria are most likely immune to it by now, rendering it ineffective.
kelly528 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 06:06 PM   #4 
lookame

Well it's not Mardel(i htought it was...guess not) it's Maracide, after reading it I guess it's for external parasites. I need to invest in some Maracyn. I feel so bad for him :(
Old 10-09-2009, 09:35 PM   #5 
kelly528

Whew! Glad to hear you haven't already used Maracyn 2 on him! Give that a go, and at all costs, finish the full course of the antibiotic! If there are even a few bacteria left after you stop treating him, they will grow right back and they'll be used to the antibiotic!
kelly528 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 10:13 PM   #6 
MrVampire181

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelly528 View Post
Whew! Glad to hear you haven't already used Maracyn 2 on him! Give that a go, and at all costs, finish the full course of the antibiotic! If there are even a few bacteria left after you stop treating him, they will grow right back and they'll be used to the antibiotic!
I just learned about resistant bacteria in science a few weeks ago. Scary stuff especially for our fish friends :/
MrVampire181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 11:33 PM   #7 
dr2b

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrVampire181 View Post
I just learned about resistant bacteria in science a few weeks ago. Scary stuff especially for our fish friends :/
That it is. I am in Medical Microbiology...and it's scary the stuff bacteria can do to become resistant.
dr2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 09:35 AM   #8 
lookame

Alright after a day in quarantine I put some salt in his water and tried to make him comfortable, after some poops his stomach is back to normal, so I guess he was severely constipated He's back to swimming fine and doesn't sit around the bottom or in the plants as much. I'm glad he's back to normal
Old 10-11-2009, 12:06 PM   #9 
dramaqueen
Banned

I'm glad he's doing better! YAY!
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 10:32 PM   #10 
james7139

wait all you did was add salt water???
james7139 is offline   Reply With Quote