Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Show Bettas
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-09-2013, 06:53 AM   #41 
Hallyx
Reference Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth View Post
...NOTHING out there can match the perfect form of a Guitar Smaragdina or the natural colors of the Stiktos or Mahachai,
I couldn't agree more, Darth. And thanks to you and Setsuna and wish4 and LBF and all the other breeders for continuing pure lines for us wild fanciers.
Hallyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 05:25 PM   #42 
Lamb

Wow! Very pretty.
Lamb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 11:02 AM   #43 
Myates

Apparently not as rare and not only 2 people have them in the US.. other breeders have kept them in the past and in the present.

A shame, like I said before people will claim something is a new species or rare to get the prices up.. but these guys are becoming extinct in the wild and it's sad that people will take them from where they should be and make other people believe they are "rare" and will pay good money for them.. but these guys have been around for a while, have been bred in the states, etc.

Pretty fish.. but not just newly discovered.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 11:07 AM   #44 
wish4coner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myates View Post
Apparently not as rare and not only 2 people have them in the US.. other breeders have kept them in the past and in the present.

A shame, like I said before people will claim something is a new species or rare to get the prices up.. but these guys are becoming extinct in the wild and it's sad that people will take them from where they should be and make other people believe they are "rare" and will pay good money for them.. but these guys have been around for a while, have been bred in the states, etc.

Pretty fish.. but not just newly discovered.
Oh, My! Honestly? I bought mine now because it's supposedly hard to get them. I actually bought mine to repopulate as, I thought there was a possibility for releasing back into the wild eventually. I even keep them pure with species. Maybe Setsuna can explain more to us??????
wish4coner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 11:18 AM   #45 
Myates

Yeah.. there are special groups and such within the IBC for the wilds.. the IBC president has kept and bred these before himself.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 11:21 AM   #46 
wish4coner

I'm not upset about buying them but I truly thought it would be good to keep the lines going. Thanks for the update. I'll be careful on what I buy. I do buy from only one breeder so, I will stick with him. TY so much.
wish4coner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 04:48 PM   #47 
LittleBettaFish

I don't think I have seen this species advertised anywhere for an exorbitant price. I would assume pure specimens were rare or at least uncommon in terms of supply. For example, I can purchase Betta imbellis through my wholesaler here, but what you get is often low quality and of dubious purity.

I have no issue with the catching of wild bettas. Most of the time they are endangered because of habitat destruction for things like palm oil plantations rather than over-fishing for the hobby. There are more common aquarium species (I think white cloud minnows are one) that get traded at fish stores around the world where overfishing is more of a problem.

I think nearly all of the habitat for Betta mahachai is salt pans now. I believe Betta persephone had a highway or something built through one of their main localities, and so is now only found in a couple of places. Finding pure wild splendens is also getting increasingly difficult due to hybridism with released domestic stock.

Sadly I think the future of all these species rests in the tanks of hobbyists. With development often roaring ahead in these countries, their future looks quite bleak unless we can secure their numbers in tanks around the world.

Also, you need a certain number of fish to keep a population going long-term. The capture of fish from the wild introduces fresh blood into a population and stave off problems caused by too much inbreeding such as deformities, lowered fertility etc. I know killifish breeders in Australia face these sorts of issues with rarer species because they are so sporadically imported and thus whole lines have been lost here.
LittleBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 09:27 PM   #48 
snowflake311

When a fish is on the verg or Extinction should we be taking it and putting it in our tanks? Does this really help the wild population? How many breeders ship there fish back to Thailand to be released into the wild? Do they do that like a breeding program a Zoo would do? I guess as long as these fish end up in the hands of a very Experience fish keeper It's ok. But if they were collecting and selling them to just anyone EEEEKKK!

I understand that you want to keep the fish alive and the only way it might stay alive is in our safe aquariums. I am just torn I guess. Should we leave these fish alone in the wild? or collect them so we can them keep alive in captivity? could you breed with the intent of putting them back in the wild?

I don't know I am just kind of thinking and typing.

It's an amazing fish and I hope you do get many generations out of them.
snowflake311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 09:53 PM   #49 
LittleBettaFish

The problem is that some of these bettas are running out of places to live in the wild.
If we don't collect and preserve these species, they may be pushed to extinction. Many of them are on the critically endangered list already.

It's difficult because on one hand you want as many fish as possible to remain in the wild, but on the other we have to maintain the purity and continuation of the species.
LittleBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 12:31 AM   #50 
XxxXnoodleXxxX

I'm curious how rare my little Tiny Tina is. She's a Cambodian Heart Tail Dragon Scale with fins bigger than some males. o.o;
XxxXnoodleXxxX is offline   Reply With Quote