Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-15-2013, 10:44 AM   #1 
DreamerHorse

I Hate This Filter

Okay, so I have the AquaTech 5-15 filter, and my betta fish's fins are getting sucked up by it. Twilight got some major damage, I had to put him in a quaratine tank. Anyways, I took some mesh and wrapped it around the intake, held together by a ponytail. I was really mad last night at it. -_-

So hopefully this will prevent any fish from getting at the darned intake. I also have the water bottle baffle on it. :(
Attached Images

DreamerHorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 12:44 PM   #2 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

You can also use a piece of the AquaClear foam and stick it in the intake tube at the end and it won't suck up your boy as bad. It would also give a "double" filtration too since it'd go through the sponge first and then through the actual filter lol but you can wrap foam around the outside as well if you don't want to go through the inside. Like other filter media, you should take it out every now and then and give it a swish in some old tank water you just took out so it doesn't clog up easily.

Another good thing about the AquaClear foam is that you can actually slice of a very thin piece so that it acts like a buffer to the Betta fins but doesn't prevent the suction from slowing too much as it would otherwise. And then i'd just use a rubber band to hold it on to the intake tube. You can also use regular pantyhose and cut off the toe to wrap it around the tube and rubber band it as well.
lilnaugrim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 01:06 PM   #3 
DreamerHorse

Great ideas, but theres no petstores nearby the foam. I've tried the pantyhose too, stuff ends up sticking to the pantyhose instead of being filtered.

So I'm kinda stuck with my current option. xD My poor fish. Ive been seeing brown spots on the bio part of the filter so hopefully I'm starting to get bb.
Old 07-15-2013, 01:12 PM   #4 
DreamerHorse

sorry, doublepost xP
Old 07-15-2013, 01:14 PM   #5 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

BB are microscopic so you won't be able to see them. Brown spots are most likely mulm and detritus that's been filter. You should definitely take out your media when you do a water change, at least every other week and give it a swish in the old take water. That will ensure it won't get clogged much as well.

How long has the tank been set up? And have you checked your ammonia frequently and whatnot?

Also, the gravel looks great in there!
Old 07-15-2013, 01:52 PM   #6 
DreamerHorse

2 months. To the ammonia, no I don't have a water testing. I'll get some strips next time I go to walmart, it's my only option. The gravel is storebought, I was going to use the other, but I rinsed it out with hot water a whole bunch and it still turned the water brown. So I dumped it.
But yeah, it does look good.
Old 07-15-2013, 01:57 PM   #7 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Oh okay, well that stinks about the other gravel then!!

2 months now it should be inadvertently cycled! So I don't think you need to worry about that or anything but still good to know your parameters of course!
Old 07-15-2013, 05:10 PM   #8 
DreamerHorse

Definitely stinks, but the storebought gravel is very similiar looking.

1 & a half months to 2 months, yea. I'm still going to check the parameters, as you said it's good to know.

I'm planning on getting a gravel vacuum, and hopefully a tank stand. Both would be nice. And sometime in the coming months, a few live plants, like 1 per divided section. Can't wait! xD
Old 07-15-2013, 07:45 PM   #9 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Sweet! Sounds like good plans for the tank!