Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-11-2009, 04:04 AM   #1 
eusto

Marcu's mouth

My fish has a strange mouth (lips) problem. Its mouth looks swollen and it has been like this for the past month. I don't know if you can see it from the pictures i've attached. I had Marcu since may and ever since its mouth got like this he only eats food that has fallen to the bottom of the tank. I'm not sure what to do with him.

My aquarium
1. Size of aquarium: 5 gallon glass bowl
2. Fresh water
3. 2 months
4. one male betta (and a female since yesterday but i don't think that was a good idea)
5. Are there live plants in the aquarium: yes, one
6. What temperature is the tank water currently: 27 C(80 F)
7. What make/model filter are you using: Hailea SL (http://aquapetcenter.com/shopping/images/SL-106-B.jpg)
8. Are you using a CO2 unit: no
9. Does your aquarium receive natural sunlight at any given part of the day: yes, most of the day
10. When did you perform your last water exchange, and how much water was changed: complete water change last week
11. How often do you perform water changes: once a week
12. How often and what foods do you feed your fish: tetramin granules two times a day (http://shop.zoomania.org/components/...d94c4f8e6c.jpg)
13. What type of lighting are you using and how long is it kept on: incandescent light for about 3 hours in the evening
Attached Images

eusto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 04:40 PM   #2 
kelly528

EEP! Mouth rot. Probably set in after a scuffle with the female. The only thing I know about treatment is that you have to do it FAST.
kelly528 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 05:35 PM   #3 
eusto

The female is a new addition, his lips were swollen before that. Some friends thought it would be a good idea for my fish to have a mate :(. I don't know what to do with her, i'll go to a pet shop and see if they want her.

Now, for Marcu, from what i've been reading around, antibiotics are in order, right? Had anyone had this problem? How did you fix it?
Old 10-11-2009, 05:40 PM   #4 
dr2b

Why don't you just get another tank or kritter keeper for her? Kritter keepers aren't that expensive...and I'd hate to have you take her back. I mean it seriously, it would suck from her perspective - be rescued from horrible living conditions, live the nice life for awhile...and then go back to horrible living conditions again.
dr2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 05:47 PM   #5 
dramaqueen
Banned

Males and females should never be put together except for breeding purposes only.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 02:37 AM   #6 
eusto

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr2b View Post
Why don't you just get another tank or kritter keeper for her? Kritter keepers aren't that expensive...and I'd hate to have you take her back. I mean it seriously, it would suck from her perspective - be rescued from horrible living conditions, live the nice life for awhile...and then go back to horrible living conditions again.
Maybe she'll be bought quickly. I'm not responsible enough to own two tanks. As it is, I'm struggling to give Marcu the proper care :(. And it is really hard for her to live in the tank with him because he's twice her size.
Old 10-12-2009, 03:54 PM   #7 
AlexXx

just get a nice vase or something from walmart its 4 bux, i got 2, put the female in there.
AlexXx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 04:46 AM   #8 
eusto

Marcu and Gina seem to be doing just fine now. I just didn't have the time to give Gina a proper home away from Marcu and i was sure she'll be done for by the time i get around to it. It seems there's no need to do that now. They got accustomed to each other and stopped fighting.

Marcu's mouth started to cleared up. It seems that all he needed was a clean tank and proper food.
Old 10-18-2009, 07:43 AM   #9 
dramaqueen
Banned

Yeah, but bad things can happen in a hurry.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 10:53 AM   #10 
Jupiter

If people advise you not to put them together, it means it can't be done. They may get along now, but disaster happens quickly. If you feel you can't take care of her in another tank, it's in her best interest to return her or give her to someone else. If you live close to me I can take her off your hands for you.
Jupiter is offline   Reply With Quote