Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Show Bettas
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-16-2013, 12:07 AM   #51 
Darth

Send back to Thailand? Why? this is why they are being preserved here, there is no place to send back to.
Pretend the Manachai betta is Superman, and his home planet is Krypton...now you see the picture.
Darth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 01:43 AM   #52 
wish4coner

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowflake311 View Post
When a fish is on the verg or Extinction should we be taking it and putting it in our tanks? Does this really help the wild population? How many breeders ship there fish back to Thailand to be released into the wild? Do they do that like a breeding program a Zoo would do? I guess as long as these fish end up in the hands of a very Experience fish keeper It's ok. But if they were collecting and selling them to just anyone EEEEKKK!

I understand that you want to keep the fish alive and the only way it might stay alive is in our safe aquariums. I am just torn I guess. Should we leave these fish alone in the wild? or collect them so we can them keep alive in captivity? could you breed with the intent of putting them back in the wild?

I don't know I am just kind of thinking and typing.

It's an amazing fish and I hope you do get many generations out of them.
They are being taken for fighters so, we save a life. Only the ones that survive the fights are released back and, they are wounded. And, they can fight them for an hour or more, so imagine what damage is done. Plus, their ecosystem is being lost. I watched a whole documentary on it by a photographer that wanted to learn about the big thing in fighting fish, and went over. The longer the fight, the more money is made. And, what is put back is losing it's ecosystem from builders. So, do I say it's kinder to leave them alone? No, cuz, I personally love the fish I take care of and would never want one hurt, so someone can make money on betting.
wish4coner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 01:48 AM   #53 
wish4coner

To be honest, I paid 23.00 per fish, plus overnight shipping. I got domestics on Ebay for 45 that did nothing but sit in the tank because the breeder misleads and you think you're getting a young fish and it's past the prime--with beefheart used so much to breed faster and bigger, the fish is the size of a 6 month old so, you can't tell anymore how old they are when you buy them.
I have a very good breeder that gets them for me and I believe his price is great. I have heard of others trying to get them for free so, I think that's way out there and greedy. But, that's me. I think I got a great deal, considering what I would have paid from Thailand direct. But, that's me.
wish4coner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 03:21 AM   #54 
Setsuna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myates View Post
Apparently not as rare and not only 2 people have them in the US.. other breeders have kept them in the past and in the present.

A shame, like I said before people will claim something is a new species or rare to get the prices up.. but these guys are becoming extinct in the wild and it's sad that people will take them from where they should be and make other people believe they are "rare" and will pay good money for them.. but these guys have been around for a while, have been bred in the states, etc.

Pretty fish.. but not just newly discovered.
Yes, its true these are not newly discovered the first one was found in 1990 but it wasn't official until DNA test and more researched was done because it was mistaken for a wild splenden. Thai people was keeping this species a secret till they was officially announced last year. they may not be rare in Thailand but they are rare here in USA. You wont see these on AB till a while
Setsuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 05:49 AM   #55 
whatsupyall

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth View Post
Send back to Thailand? Why? this is why they are being preserved here, there is no place to send back to.
Pretend the Manachai betta is Superman, and his home planet is Krypton...now you see the picture.
I was weak and hurting in the stomach after reading this. Awesome example.
whatsupyall is offline   Reply With Quote