Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Memorials
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-14-2013, 09:27 PM   #1 
Lena N

Please forgive me Cherryk

My amazing fish Cherryk died couple hours ago and it was all my fault.
He was very ill couple weeks ago, but I treated him with General cure and he recovered 100%. He died only because of my neglect.

I would do anything for this fish and I did : bought him nice tank, best food, expansive medicine. I wished him to live long and be happy with us so much.

But today I took out devider and leaned it over the wall. And when came back home I found him stuck there and dead already. Poor boy died terrible death gasping for air with nobody to help.
I even know at what moment it happend because when I was out and when I got to lift, I felt very claustrofobic in it. Probably it was the moment Cherryk was diying.

Why I was so silly to do such mistake. Many reasons: bought 2 otos and he was chasing them, worried that otos have enough food and moved devider, was not feeling myself during last 3 days that it is why not think properly...I fish I was just at home...

I can not stop crying...He was my favourite fish.
Just can not imafine waking up in the morning and there is no Cherryk in tank.....
Please forgive me Cherryk!!!
Name:  IMG_0060.jpg
Views: 158
Size:  43.1 KB
Lena N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 10:41 PM   #2 
logisticsguy

Don't be too hard on yourself Lena. We all make mistakes. It was not neglect it was an accident and there IS a big difference. I know it hurts because Ive lost betta I loved too. Time will heal the hurt. Even the best betta keepers have made mistakes along the way so don't put yourself down. Cherryk was lucky to have an owner like you who cared.

CJ
logisticsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 10:53 PM   #3 
veggiegirl

I am so sorry for your loss of poor cherryk but you must not blame yourself, sometimes these things just happen. You never would have intentionally let this happen because it is obvious that you cared for him very much.

I breed exhibition budgerigars and last season a purple baby girl was born with a crooked leg meaning she could not be sold. At weaning age I moved her into the main aviary but the other birds all picked on her and she became so skinny and sick. All she wanted was my attention. Whenever I went into the aviary she would land on me and would always try to follow me when I left. She would sit on the door calling as I walked away. I knew she would die if I did't do something fast so I bought her a cage and decided to keep her as a pet. I named her Peggy and it took 4 months to nurse her fully back to health. She was very bonded with me and I became very attached to her.

Over time she grew into a big strong bird and when she molted into her adult feathers she was a gorgeous brightly coloured bird. I was so proud at how far she had come.

Usually I would sit her cage in mums bedroom during the daytime when the cats were in the house so that they didn't annoy her. A few weeks ago it was such a lovely sunny day all the aviary birds were singing and I knew that Peggy would love it if I sat her cage outside under the tree. Sure enough as I was carrying her down the stairs she got so excited and was showing off at me. Her feathers looks so beautiful and she looked so happy.

In the afternoon when I went outside to bring her upstairs I found a hawk sitting on her cage. I ran down the stairs and scared it away but it was too late. Peggy had been attacked and was lying on her side with blood every where. I couldn't believe what had happened. She was still alive so I bought her upstairs covered her cage and put a light on her to keep her warm. She survived for 2 hours and I thought she was beginning to improve as she started to try to get up and nibbled my finder a couple of times but she died shortly after. I was devastated, if only I had not put her outside that day it would never had happened. I could not stop crying and blamed myself for a long time. Even now while writing this I feel very upset at what happened. I thought though that I was doing a good thing putting her outside for a nice day and she seemed so happy.

Like I said sometimes these things just happen . Don't feel too badly about Cherryk because you never would have harmed him on purpose.
veggiegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 12:31 AM   #4 
Lena N

Quote:
Originally Posted by logisticsguy View Post
Don't be too hard on yourself Lena. We all make mistakes. It was not neglect it was an accident and there IS a big difference. I know it hurts because Ive lost betta I loved too. Time will heal the hurt. Even the best betta keepers have made mistakes along the way so don't put yourself down. Cherryk was lucky to have an owner like you who cared.

CJ
Thank you very much logisticsguy for your kind words! It helps a lot as my husband loved Cherryk also and he is very upset too and can not say much to me right now. I think maybe it would not heart so badly if Cherryk died from illness. In worse nightmare I could not imagine that my favourite fish would die like this. My sweet, sweet Cherryk...
Old 07-15-2013, 01:13 AM   #5 
Lena N

Quote:
Originally Posted by veggiegirl View Post
I am so sorry for your loss of poor cherryk but you must not blame yourself, sometimes these things just happen. You never would have intentionally let this happen because it is obvious that you cared for him very much.

I breed exhibition budgerigars and last season a purple baby girl was born with a crooked leg meaning she could not be sold. At weaning age I moved her into the main aviary but the other birds all picked on her and she became so skinny and sick. All she wanted was my attention. Whenever I went into the aviary she would land on me and would always try to follow me when I left. She would sit on the door calling as I walked away. I knew she would die if I did't do something fast so I bought her a cage and decided to keep her as a pet. I named her Peggy and it took 4 months to nurse her fully back to health. She was very bonded with me and I became very attached to her.

Over time she grew into a big strong bird and when she molted into her adult feathers she was a gorgeous brightly coloured bird. I was so proud at how far she had come.

Usually I would sit her cage in mums bedroom during the daytime when the cats were in the house so that they didn't annoy her. A few weeks ago it was such a lovely sunny day all the aviary birds were singing and I knew that Peggy would love it if I sat her cage outside under the tree. Sure enough as I was carrying her down the stairs she got so excited and was showing off at me. Her feathers looks so beautiful and she looked so happy.

In the afternoon when I went outside to bring her upstairs I found a hawk sitting on her cage. I ran down the stairs and scared it away but it was too late. Peggy had been attacked and was lying on her side with blood every where. I couldn't believe what had happened. She was still alive so I bought her upstairs covered her cage and put a light on her to keep her warm. She survived for 2 hours and I thought she was beginning to improve as she started to try to get up and nibbled my finder a couple of times but she died shortly after. I was devastated, if only I had not put her outside that day it would never had happened. I could not stop crying and blamed myself for a long time. Even now while writing this I feel very upset at what happened. I thought though that I was doing a good thing putting her outside for a nice day and she seemed so happy.

Like I said sometimes these things just happen . Don't feel too badly about Cherryk because you never would have harmed him on purpose.
Dear veggiegir, thank you for telling me about your bird Peggy, sounds totally like my story. So sorry about Peggy, do you have her photo?

Our Cherryk also whent though so much with us, he had fin rot, he had ick, he had terrible gill problem. We did not have good tank righ away, so he spent some time in small container/tank. He survived our 10 days trip away from home (someone was coming to feed our fishes). And here when everything was fine with his health, when he was in great mood swiming back and forth (his favourite thing to do was to swim back and forth) such a tragedy happenes.
Because it is so terrible to lose a pet I did not have any for 15 years.
I still have 3 Bettas to take care at home. But it is so empty without Cherryk.
Old 07-15-2013, 01:38 AM   #6 
Lena N

Name:  2013-07-14_233639.jpg
Views: 143
Size:  59.7 KB
Old 07-15-2013, 11:36 PM   #7 
XxxXnoodleXxxX

Don't be hard on yourself. Sometimes there's just no avoiding things... My first fish ever, a goldfish, wedged himself between a periscope thing in his tank and the wall of the tank and died. I felt awful that I didn't think of that and stomped the tank into oblivion with big boots I was so angry... But when an accident happens all you can do is learn from it. I'm immensely careful with my decorations right now and am always anxious putting new stuff in my little fishies' tanks. -hugs- Most of us have been there before, hon. You're not to blame, and I'm sure Cherryk doesn't blame you. You gave him the whole world before he died, and a lot of bettas never even have that opportunity, being condemned to cups in stores or tiny tanks with horrid owners. You took him home and gave him a great life, and I'm sure he's thanking you right now for making him feel so special. <3 SIP Cherryk. <3
XxxXnoodleXxxX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 12:16 AM   #8 
Lena N

Quote:
Originally Posted by XxxXnoodleXxxX View Post
Don't be hard on yourself. Sometimes there's just no avoiding things... My first fish ever, a goldfish, wedged himself between a periscope thing in his tank and the wall of the tank and died. I felt awful that I didn't think of that and stomped the tank into oblivion with big boots I was so angry... But when an accident happens all you can do is learn from it. I'm immensely careful with my decorations right now and am always anxious putting new stuff in my little fishies' tanks. -hugs- Most of us have been there before, hon. You're not to blame, and I'm sure Cherryk doesn't blame you. You gave him the whole world before he died, and a lot of bettas never even have that opportunity, being condemned to cups in stores or tiny tanks with horrid owners. You took him home and gave him a great life, and I'm sure he's thanking you right now for making him feel so special. <3 SIP Cherryk. <3
Thank you so much, for your support XxxXnoodleXxx! It means a lot to me!!!
Thank you for reading about Cherryk's story!!!
Old 07-16-2013, 01:00 AM   #9 
Namialus

I had a betta three years ago. He was called Diablo and I loved him so much. He was so energetic and full of life and I just loved him. Winter came and I did not have a heater for him. I bought him one, and made so many mistakes with acclimating it that for his last week it was just spent with him lying on the gravel gasping for life. It hurt me so much knowing that I could not help. He passed away and I buried him.

We all make mistakes. We just have to learn from them. May all our fishy friends SIP.
Namialus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 03:41 AM   #10 
XxxXnoodleXxxX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lena N View Post
Thank you so much, for your support XxxXnoodleXxx! It means a lot to me!!!
Thank you for reading about Cherryk's story!!!
<3 Don't mention it. I've had my share of fishy heartbreak, so if you ever need someone to talk to about it, just PM me. :) I'm always floating about.
XxxXnoodleXxxX is offline   Reply With Quote