Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Journals
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-05-2013, 11:54 AM   #21 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Hey! i'm right there with you on WoW I usually play quite often but now my Betta addiction needs more money in it's fund so I had to stop lol I'm usually a druid which get the cat forms

Your girls look lovely!!
lilnaugrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 07:41 PM   #22 
AltheaGlyndwr

Thanks! I just went around to my 4 petstores again on the way home because 3 of them got new shipments today. I now have an orange VT... She's like twice as big as all my girls and she was only .99 cents. There was a really pretty all teal one at one store, and a white one with orange fins and a white one with gold/yellow fins at another. The last store had my newest and last lady. Now for the fun! (I hope that Salacia the black one starts getting unclamped soon... she's making me sad to see her that way :( I just bought stress coat though so we're gonna do that today. yay! I'll take a pic of the whole thing after the plants are in.
AltheaGlyndwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 03:37 PM   #23 
AltheaGlyndwr

Salacia's condition, some advice would be great?

So when I brought the black one home she was in filthy water full of slmiy stuff. I changed it out for fresh tank water. She was clamped and didn't want to use her right fin. She refused food. She liked ot just float at the top. When she saw the other girls she would get excited but that was about it. I was told to treat her with some general cure and I did for two days.

Yesterday before I went to work it looked like she might have a tiny bit of the slime stuff on her so I changed her water and went to work. When I came home last night her right side was mostly covered in patches of the thick slime stuff and she had some on her fins and her other side. I stopped the gereral cure and put her in a 1 gallon with 1 tsp of AQ salt because I figure slime infection. This morning I was told in my disease question thread that she needed an antifungal and that the AQ salt was a very harsh thing and that it should pretty much never be used. I switched out the AQ salt water and put some of my anti fungus tabs (I 5th of half of one) and released her into it.

I think I finally know why she was favoring her right fin so much. When I was transfering her from her cup into the 1 gallon tank after refilling it the right fin just fell off. Like, just let go of her body and fell to the bottom. Kind of horrifying but I guess I've seen worse things happen to a fish. Anyway, she's in the tank with the fungus clear stuff and I'm going to work. When I come home I'm gonna look her over and I will let you guys know if she has improved or worsened in state. I'm really concerned and I want to do the right thing by her. I know I can fix her, I just don't know if I'm making the right decisions. Her fin will regrow right?

Thanks!

Tonight when I get home I'll post my videos... or figure out how.
Old 07-07-2013, 04:33 PM   #24 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

I'm still a little leary about the whole not using salt thing. Here's a good article about salt, however it's still the internet and things can be thrown around on a daily basis but it seems well put together: http://www.practicalfishkeeping.co.u...t.php?sid=2850

Anyway, wow, her fin just fell off? Well, that's unfortunate I think it depends on how severely it fell off if it will grow back. I know ripped, torn and bitten off pec fins will grow back but if also the muscle that controls the fin (much like our shoulder joint) also fell off with it then I'm not certain it will actually grow back. Of course I'm no expert on that, it's just my observation with fins.

And as for the slime patches, I really don't see how a fungal medication would work for it as it is an infection where antibiotics should be used unless the fungus meds have that certain medication that you need in it. Either way, I figure you should follow Nick's advice as he seems confident and knowledgeable in diseases and their cures.

Oh and to post video's you should upload them to a host first like youtube and then you can post the link there
lilnaugrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 02:08 AM   #25 
AltheaGlyndwr

I posted some videos of her in that thread. And I have some good news as far as the fin is concerned. There is still a nub of fin attached to the muscle so I think she should be able to grow it back.

Now that I've figured out how to post videos I am going to upload some on here I did today. :D
Old 07-08-2013, 02:56 AM   #26 
AltheaGlyndwr

Videos of almost everyone~

On a much lighter note than my poor sick little girl... movies time! I'll get steadier as time goes on...

This here be my little man Mayim~ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0P69n...ature=youtu.be

This is the sorority tank and most of the ladies~ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P4EbP...ature=youtu.be

And these are two different of baby Alexa earlier today~ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oq5Dl...ature=youtu.be
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OpHSx...ature=youtu.be
Old 07-13-2013, 12:40 AM   #27 
AltheaGlyndwr

So I'm updating today. No pictures atm but I have what feels like a lot of news. Good and bad.

So the black CT Salacia was seriously ill. It turns out that she most likely had columnaris. Very, very sad :/ I only had her for about a week. But the good news in that is that she passed within 14 days and so I was able to get a new girl. On the day that I found the giant orange VT, who I have since deemed Tangi, I saw several ladies at Salacia's store that had white/clearish bodies and orange/gold fins. I passed them up in favor of Tangi. Well the exact one I wanted that day was still there and looked great so I brought her home. It turns out that odds are Tangi and the new VT (who has golden orange fins and a clearish body) who I have dubbed Goldeen are most likely sisters for real. Both of the stores I got them from get their fish from the same breeder/place. There were quite a few like them delivered on the same day too so that's kinda cool. Anyway onward~ (squeels over the orange girls) Never knew that I would like them so well lol~ I don't actually like orange, but I love them.

Alexa my baby betta has been in my care for just over 3 weeks now! She has grown so much and she is such a good little sport. She gazes over at the girls and follows Mystique around. I know she wants in there but I feel that she needs to grow a bit more... Tangi could probably eat her in almost two bites... or at least seriously damage her... But yeah, she seems to for almost sure be a VT, she does have a blue body and chin with a brown/black head. Her fins are red mostly with blue on the outside, spots, and a tean sheen over the whole of her tail. I seriously love her to pieces.

Icelia, the what I assumed was a periwinkle/lavender CT lady, has deeped immensely in color. She is now a deep royal purple with dark periwinkle fins. Her head has a nice teal sheen. She still stripes like a tiger when she sees the other girls, but I think that is actually her showing off cause when I do water changes he stripes horizontal like normal. She's spiffy with serious attitude~

I have officially deemed Bastet the cambodian CT and Layla the tricolor VT healthy and settled. I would release them if I didn't want to have to rearrange everything about 4 times total and deal with only those two and Mystique duking it out for a couple weeks. Layla keeps swimming at the bottom trying to get out, poor girl~ Also, she is so not pastel. At first I was very disappointed, but as she has been in my care her colors have changed a bit and she has a wonderful personality so I don't care. She is quite lovely in her own way. Although for some reason the hole in her tail still hasn't closed up and her torn dorsal doesn't appear to be mending... if it is it is not happening noticably. :/ I don't understand. But all I can do is continue to change her water and keep her in the warm tank.

Mystique has been doing a beautiful job living in the 10 gallon while it's cycling. The only problem I am having right now is not knowing how close it is to completely finishing because I have some live plants in there now. But less that a week and it will have been cycling for a whole month. But the girls still have to stay cupped until Goldeen can go out of quarantine so that will be another 1 to 2 weeks after that. So I'm sure it will balance out just fine. She used to have a really hard time with being bloated/eggy when she lived in the 2.5... Since moving to the 10 gallon I've had to feed her every single day because she works it off within a couple hours swimming!

All of the new ladies are pooping without issue and/or pests so that's cool too. And I thought something was wrong with Tangi's gills but it's fine.

Also! Mayim is having regrowth! yay~ He is doing so great in there~ I am currently scowering my area for an affordable 5 gallon tank to replace his old cracked one. If anyone has any pointers that would be cool. I can currently get one for about $17 when I get the money but...

Anyway, that's all my excitement. Changing water every/every other day has been crazy but I actually really enjoy the time with them. :D <3
Old 07-15-2013, 01:40 AM   #28 
dramaqueen
Banned

I'm so sorry about Salacia but I'm glad the new ones are doing sell.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 01:57 AM   #29 
AltheaGlyndwr

Yeah... I'm just glad she's not suffering anymore. Thanks :)

New update!

So the day that Salacia passed I got some Prime. I have since been adding a drop to each of the girls cups (but not that main tank) every day that I don't do a water change. Since then I have noticed that Layla's dorsal has been mending! The hole in her fin is still there, if a little bigger, but she is getting better! It appears that the hole is working it's way to the end of her fin and healing after it moves... Maybe its the way it's growing back? Not really sure... She's such a little pig... Also bought me some NLS betta pellets. I now have all of the foods I want for my babies.

Goldeen is a fiesty little bugger. I think she and Icelia will probably beat everyone else and then duke it out together... With Bastet or Mystique being the last one knocked out of line before them. But we will see!

Mayim's fins are doing so well~ There is so much regrowth! It gets bigger everyday! :D He is so happy, I can totally feel it coming off of him. -flutter here, flutter there, OH IT'S ME FLARE, flutter here, flutter through my temple cave, brush along the bottom looking for food... Sees me come over OMG FOOD!- Yup, that's daily for him. Super cute.

Baby Alexa is filling out really well. She's about as long a Mystique but not nearly as large... yet. She's starting to keep her color all the time with minimal striping! Super awesome~ I'm such a proud betta mommy~ <3
Old 07-16-2013, 02:16 AM   #30 
AltheaGlyndwr

My friend's baby betta~

So today I got called for a baby betta rescue mission from my friend who recently found out of my betta knowledge. Her poor little man has been not doing so well. Not eating, hiding, clamped. I'm really irritated that pet stores have no idea how to properly care for baby bettas and don't give their customers proper advice and instruction! Grrr petco.... grr..

Anyway! So today before even seeing him I took her out and we get him so new food, cause what they gave her was too big (Omega One Betta Buffet Flakes; which is a GREAT food... but not for babies unless you know to crush it into fine peices... which I forgot to tell her but hopefully she'll read this or I will tell her on Wed when I check in!) we got a thermometer, and some stress coat.

So I get over there tonight and apparently the petstore also told her that they only needed a once a week water change in a 1 gallon... For a baby? She's had the little guy for almost 3 months and he's about doubled in size, but he's just about the same size Alexa was when I brought her home over 3 weeks ago... Totally don't blame her or her man, but I blame the petstore for misinformation! -growls- Anyway~

I changed the baby's water, we are going shopping next tuesday to get more supplies (including a heater and within a month a new little home with a filter hopefully) cause that's when we can. Baby, Eleven is his name, and as far as I could tell he was DEFINITELY male... Longer ventrals even for being so small, no ovaries or ovipositor, wrong shape... Yeah little man. So when I got there he was clamped and hiding, I actually didn't even find him until I took the plant out. I caught him in a cup and cleaned out his home and his plant. Tried to feed him, he refused. I looked him over and the only issues I really saw were that he was really skinny ((he's been refusing food), his tail fin looked like it had a little fin melt, once his body got to just before the tail his spine was bent, but he swam just fine, and he was so little.

I filled his 1 gallon tank up with fresh, clean water of like temp to the water he was in (which just so happened to be 80 without a heater) and after letting him float for a bit then released him into his new home with as little of the old water as possible. Within about 1 minute quite literally, he was swimming around, exploring, doing more that he has apparently done in 3 weeks! He still refused food, but tomorrow morning when he's all settled he should be just fine.

Oh! While he was in the cup, I got him to flare. It was amazing and he was so cute. He has some fire in him so he should be fine!

Also, he appears to be a nice teal and blue hiding under baby colors and stripes. His fin colors without a flashlight are gorgeous. Props to my friend and her man! He's gonna be a beauty once his fins get healed and start growing again! We discussed water changes and we have made a schedule of mon-wed-fri for her to change his water. (They also apparently didn't tell them about the growth stunting hormone that they release... :/) A much better improvement from the at most once a week that the store said. Also discussed feeding schedule as well. All in all, the baby is doing way better already and I am so excited that I have been able ot used everything I've learned on here and from my own baby betta to help someone else! Yay! <3

You go girl! We will make your little man amazing~~

Also! The second baby betta I know of to be OBSESSED with its thermometer. He wouldn't leave the thing alone! XD

Last edited by AltheaGlyndwr; 07-16-2013 at 02:19 AM.