Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-11-2009, 10:21 PM   #11 
Elektra

Yeah i find the way you find the bettas actually disgusting.
A they are kept in pint soup containers that are utterly filthy and generally stacked three high and three deep.
Luckily, the petco near me doesn't have them quite so stacked and has the dead fish to a minimum
I have found the females are generally kept a little better than the males and appear healthier.
Elektra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 07:17 AM   #12 
Kim

It IS very sad :( People just don't look at fish as animals for some reason. I've never seen dead animals, but I've seen plenty of dead and ailing fish. It breaks my heart to leave them there, but I can't possibly take them all in. I've actually been thinking about switching to only buying from breeders from now on. That way I'd be supporting the HOBBY of fishkeeping, not all the horrible stores looking to make a buck at the cost of fish lives.

Sadly, the last 3 bettas that I've gotten from Petco (the "good" store) have all had SBD. My newest guy is just now getting better and I've had him for weeks. I finally saw him actually swimming in the middle of the tank yesterday which is a big deal for him :)

My dream is to own my own animal rescue someday that would not only take in dogs, cats, horses, etc. but also fish.
Kim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 12:45 PM   #13 
Jupiter

The Petsmarts are pretty good about it...I've only seen dead feeder fish, but no one really ever takes care of those anyway...Bettas could be better, but i haven't seen any severely sick/dead ones.
Jupiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 05:31 PM   #14 
dramaqueen
Banned

I've seen a few dead/sick bettas at my Petsmart lately.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 05:44 PM   #15 
Elektra

I really think it also has to do with what type of people who are employed. Whether they needed a job and looked there cause they like animals
...or....
they needed a job and don't even want to answer a question like do you have the replacement light bulbs that go with this hood.
ex: The one lady at the local petco likes fish and started to discuss how to take care of my betta and if i needed anything and maybe that could be why there are less dead/sickly fish
Elektra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 05:59 PM   #16 
flying fish

Location: On the tree with the Rabid Chipmunk in the Canadian Rocky Mountains.
Once I went to my local pet store,
and there were like three hundred feeder fish in one tank,
with a bare bottom, nothing.
The tank was dirty, and there were like, thirty fish stuck in the filter.
Some dead, and others half stuck in, and still alive.
Even though there feeder fish, doesnt mean that they have no worth.
It was absolutely disgusting.
I actually found Pickle in the very back of the cups, he looked so stressed out and was flaring at the fish beside him.
The store has nice fish and all, they just dont take proper care of them.
>8K
flying fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 06:04 PM   #17 
flying fish

Location: On the tree with the Rabid Chipmunk in the Canadian Rocky Mountains.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim View Post
It IS very sad :( People just don't look at fish as animals for some reason. I've never seen dead animals, but I've seen plenty of dead and ailing fish. It breaks my heart to leave them there, but I can't possibly take them all in. I've actually been thinking about switching to only buying from breeders from now on. That way I'd be supporting the HOBBY of fishkeeping, not all the horrible stores looking to make a buck at the cost of fish lives.

Sadly, the last 3 bettas that I've gotten from Petco (the "good" store) have all had SBD. My newest guy is just now getting better and I've had him for weeks. I finally saw him actually swimming in the middle of the tank yesterday which is a big deal for him :)

My dream is to own my own animal rescue someday that would not only take in dogs, cats, horses, etc. but also fish.
That is such an awesome dream!
I agree, people put fish as the last priority, and blow the jobs off until it gets really serious or until its too late.
I am thinking of volunteering for the local animal shelter, or something for a good cause.
I would totally help out at your animal shelter, it just takes a good thing to show people what to do and how to help :3
flying fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 06:09 PM   #18 
dramaqueen
Banned

People think of fish as "disposable". My neighbor said hers could "easily be replaced". Maybe they can be replaced but I'd kind of like to keep the ones I have. People don't value the lives of fish the way we do.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 06:15 PM   #19 
Amphitrite

I remember going to an LFS a few years ago and seeing a tank of discus (particularly sensitive to water conditions) and the water and tank were so filthy it was hard to see them. I complained to the shop who weren't interested in anything I had to say, so I went to somebody else after that - I think it was Animal Welfare, and they paid a visit to the shop. I never hear back from them after that, but next time I went to the shop the tank was spotless. I firmly believe that it's always worth taking it further until something is done.

Just because fish aren't cuddly and furry like puppies or hamsters, it doesn't mean they should be given less than ideal conditions to live in.
Amphitrite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 07:44 PM   #20 
veganchick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim View Post

dito
veganchick is offline   Reply With Quote