Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-16-2013, 12:29 PM   #1 
lexyfly

Smile Set up for a soroity

Hi long time no talk!
I just got my first betta! She is a blue and red crowntail. She lives in a 10 gallon tank with my two tiny turtles(they are WAY to small to eat her so no worries) I have just her in there and am wanting to add more color to the tank and think that a sorority would be a great way to do it. I am not sure how to set one up though. If you guys could help me out that would be awesome! Thank you!
lexyfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 01:00 PM   #2 
RobertTheFish

I had 7 females in a 10 gallon tank, heavily planted. No other fish or nonsense in there, just betta girls. I had lots of hiding places. I thought everything was stable, they would squabble a little and then get over it.

Then one day I woke up and had 6 fish. I had no clue which one had done it, it's not like she left "fin prints" at the scene of the crime.

Long, tragic story made short, it was another death every other night or so until I was left with 1, who I assumed to be the ichthiocidal maniac. She died a couple days later, I presume from stress and the injuries she sustained over the course of her rampage.

THAT SAID: My advice would be to not start a sorority. Your mileage will vary, and if you're anything like me, you will ignore this advice.

If you must try this out for yourself, please learn from my mistake and don't try it in a 10 gallon tank. Looking back I think a 20 gallon long might work. The bigger the better. I've also read a lot about "dither fish" to serve as distraction. You want something that does not nip fins, but that is shorter-finned and faster than a betta so it can escape when needed. Maybe like a basic, non-fancy guppy or something.

This is what my sorority looked like before the serial killings began, maybe it will help show you what not to do (looking at the photo, it wasn't as "heavily planted" as I had thought, plants need to go all the way up the water column for this to work):

I doubt I'll ever retry a sorority, but if someone said, gun to my head, that I had to do it, I would get the biggest tank possible (like 120 gallon if I had the room) and I would put only 7 girls in there, all from the same spawn, and probably 3 or 4 small schools of other fish like guppies and rasboras.

Please please please read up on this before you attempt.
RobertTheFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 01:07 PM   #3 
Lamb

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertTheFish View Post
I had 7 females in a 10 gallon tank, heavily planted. No other fish or nonsense in there, just betta girls. I had lots of hiding places. I thought everything was stable, they would squabble a little and then get over it.

Then one day I woke up and had 6 fish. I had no clue which one had done it, it's not like she left "fin prints" at the scene of the crime.

Long, tragic story made short, it was another death every other night or so until I was left with 1, who I assumed to be the ichthiocidal maniac. She died a couple days later, I presume from stress and the injuries she sustained over the course of her rampage.

THAT SAID: My advice would be to not start a sorority. Your mileage will vary, and if you're anything like me, you will ignore this advice.

If you must try this out for yourself, please learn from my mistake and don't try it in a 10 gallon tank. Looking back I think a 20 gallon long might work. The bigger the better. I've also read a lot about "dither fish" to serve as distraction. You want something that does not nip fins, but that is shorter-finned and faster than a betta so it can escape when needed. Maybe like a basic, non-fancy guppy or something.

This is what my sorority looked like before the serial killings began, maybe it will help show you what not to do (looking at the photo, it wasn't as "heavily planted" as I had thought, plants need to go all the way up the water column for this to work):

I doubt I'll ever retry a sorority, but if someone said, gun to my head, that I had to do it, I would get the biggest tank possible (like 120 gallon if I had the room) and I would put only 7 girls in there, all from the same spawn, and probably 3 or 4 small schools of other fish like guppies and rasboras.

I find this very interesting! I am starting one also, and will have a trio of guppy in with the girls. There will be guppy fry also in the tank that I will be using as treats for my betta. I hope that will be enough for the girls! Great info there. I will be doing 7 in a 20g high.

Good luck OP! I may listen to pp and do it in a larger tank. :) 20gs are only 20 bucks at petco right now! $1 a gallon. :D
Lamb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 01:59 PM   #4 
lexyfly

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertTheFish View Post

I know many people have had bad things happen with these set ups but I think I could do it and I have another tank set up for any girl how decides to get overly violent. Thank you for your concern though! I will also have it very heavily planted so they will have plenty of hiding spots.
Old 07-16-2013, 02:19 PM   #5 
Lamb

I would probably do it too. Maybe not more than 4, but I'm sure it could be done!!! Thought I would share the sale with you!
Old 07-16-2013, 04:43 PM   #6 
lexyfly

What do you mean share the sale?
Old 07-16-2013, 04:45 PM   #7 
Lamb

Petco is having a $1 for each gallon sale... in my first post? :/ Did you not see that?
Old 07-16-2013, 04:45 PM   #8 
lexyfly

OOHHH! Got ya
Old 07-16-2013, 04:47 PM   #9 
lexyfly

That would have been great to know yesterday. I got a ten gallon for 20 dollars at petsmart!