Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Planted Betta Tanks
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-16-2013, 04:37 PM   #1 
Laki

Trimming Anubias?

Here's my anubias. It's pretty mature, I've had it about a year. It's growing pretty good, I get a new bud every 2 weeks or so but they take so long to grow and mature. The rhizome is getting pretty long but I don't know how to trim it so I can plant another anubias. How does it even work?Can I cut the rhizome?

Oh, ETA, there's snail poop on the leaf here on the right. It does have a couple holes though. This leaf is almost as old as the plant! The left side is all new leaf/rhizome. And the base it's weighted on is a cheap weight from a dollar store plant I cut all the plastic off :) Works brilliantly!
Attached Images

Laki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 04:38 PM   #2 
LittleBettaFish

Yeah just cut the rhizome and you will then have two separate plants. Sometimes you will notice what seem like a brand new plant developing off the main rhizome and I just break these off and there is never any issue.
LittleBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 04:39 PM   #3 
Laki

Really? wow. I was too scared. I'll get some more weights and cut it next week! Thanks!
Old 07-16-2013, 04:43 PM   #4 
LittleBettaFish

Haha I have had anubias melt on me and I cut all the leaves off and ended up with just a scraggly looking rhizome and they have sprouted again. Anubias is pretty tough. It takes a lot of work to kill one.
Old 07-16-2013, 04:45 PM   #5 
Laki

That's a relief to hear! I'm always on eggshells with my plants. I have 2 heavily planted tanks now (mostly messy overgrown plants) and everytime I trim the easy-to-grow ones I get nervous thinking the whole tank will melt off! lol

Is there a safer place to cut it? And can I use regular scissors? Should I cut it on a angle?
Old 07-16-2013, 05:02 PM   #6 
LittleBettaFish

I think you basically just want a few leaves left on whatever rhizome you are removing.

I always cut straight with a sharp pair of scissors so that the cut is clean and you aren't crushing the rhizome rather than cutting. Just keep a look out for any softening of the rhizome, discolouring or foul smell as this can indicate the rhizome is starting to rot. If that happens I just snip the damaged section off as well.

Your anubias looks very healthy though. It is one of my favourite aquarium plants. I have only a couple plants now and am wanting to find a particularly large barteri to go in one of my tanks.
Old 07-16-2013, 05:31 PM   #7 
registereduser

You can get about 5 new plants by cutting up that long one. Let them float for a month or so then when the roots start tie them to more rocks and wood. That's what I do anyway.
registereduser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 05:50 PM   #8 
Laki

If the part I cut has roots I can immediately plant it though, right? This is a very root-y plant because it began feeling around for gravel when I took it all to build a hill for all the anacharis lol

Okay, I'm excited to cut it now! haha Wants a few smaller ones. This is my favorite too, the leaves are so thick and it's such a sturdy plant even my fat nerite Milly can eat on the leaves!
Old 07-16-2013, 10:51 PM   #9 
Flyby Stardancer

Oh wow, that is an impressive rhizome! LOL Looks like it just loves your tank!
Flyby Stardancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 10:58 PM   #10 
Laki

Haha thanks! It's been with my ever-changing tank for about a year! I have never altered it so it's been left almost in this position for that long :)