Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-16-2013, 10:09 AM   #31 
Janan

That makes sense. I originally bought 3 pandas and two died. I'll take the panda back and trade for an albino.

So you think the tank will be ok with 4 albinos and 7 female bettas?
Janan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 10:17 AM   #32 
Stone

From experience you might need to remove one or the other girls that is fighting to be the alpha of the tank, some girls just are not cut out for it if they are too aggressive they fight tooooooo much if too passive they are always stress striped and being picked on it is a fine balance, our alpha girl and 2 of the toher top girls had settled down for a few months but one morning when it was lights on time all 3 of them must have been fighting all night and well long story short they all died due to their injuries, we did all we could to save them, the alpha girl was the female we have had the longest so it was a heartbreaking loss, she was a crowntail and in my experience crowntails are usually the most aggressive, so that brought us down to10 girls in a 29 gallon tank, one of our newest girls we picked up at walmart like 3 months ago, a dragonscale metalic silver/purple girl is the new tank boss, she is the smallest girl in the tank but she is built like a little tank, her name is shimmer, the second in command from what I can tell is sunshine a yellow veiltail that always has perfect fins, she must be really fast or the others must never challenge her lol, the new pecking order seems to be set which is good
Stone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 10:20 AM   #33 
Stone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janan View Post
That makes sense. I originally bought 3 pandas and two died. I'll take the panda back and trade for an albino.

So you think the tank will be ok with 4 albinos and 7 female bettas?
thats in a 10 gallon tank? might be pushing the bioload a bit, just keep up on water changes or have tons of live plants and good filtration
Stone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 11:10 AM   #34 
Janan

Thanks, Stone!

It is loaded with live plants and has two filters. I'm also keeping up with water changes and testing, especially since I added all the fish at once.
Old 07-16-2013, 01:07 PM   #35 
Viva

Yeah I think you will be fine as long as you maintain good husbandry. Live plants definitely help A LOT!
Viva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 04:35 PM   #36 
Janan

On the whole, the girls are doing very well. The two most aggressive girls are Sweetheart, the double-tail and Sapphire, the crown-tail. They don't stalk like Trouble did, but the have occasional bursts of chasing. Mostly after my beautiful copper girl, Pretty Bird. She is the only one that is ever stress-stripped. I don't see any nipped fins anymore, now that Trouble is out.

Sould I let them continue to work it out for awhile longer? If I have to take anyone else out, I would like it to be Pretty Bird, because the others are pretty well balanced when it comes to aggression.

Sweetheart is definitely the alpha and my favorite.

And I can't go without saying how sorry I was to read that you lost three of your girls to fighting. How devastating that must have been.

Last edited by Janan; 07-16-2013 at 04:40 PM.
Old 07-16-2013, 05:06 PM   #37 
Viva

I heard it can take a few weeks before the establish a pecking order. Mine have settled down a lot but now that I've changed the scenery around they have started chasing each other again.
Old 07-16-2013, 07:08 PM   #38 
Janan

I have a friend visiting this week that has experience keeping fish. I'm going to give her Pretty Bird. I watched and she was stressed the whole day, poor thing. I just can't stand it when one is heavily outnumbered.

I believe the rest are pretty equal in temperament and can take care of themselves. I learned short-finned tend to be less tempting.
Old 07-17-2013, 11:23 AM   #39 
Viva

Awww :( My long finned girl is obsessed with the filter intake and keeps getting herself stuck to it, lol! I've watched her do it like 5 times in a row. She just stares at it then slowly its bringing her closer and she all of a sudden gets her entire side stuck to it then she swims off! Then she comes back to do it again...lol. Needless to say her fins are pretty scraggly right now until I can figure out a way to put a mesh over the intake without it clogging it.

I'm sure Pretty Bird will do fine in her new home.
Old 07-22-2013, 04:56 PM   #40 
Janan

Trying out my new camera on the girls.
Attached Images