Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Journals
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-16-2013, 08:35 PM   #1 
PonyJumper101

Baltimore's Rescue/Recovery Journal

Day 1

It all started with a trip to my local pet store. Was only in for a few things but could not help myself and had to walk by the bettas. They had a lot in stock at the time. Most of them looked very thin and were inactive, but there was one betta who stood out to me. He was so beautiful. A majestic sky blue with red and purple features. Probably the most beautiful betta I had ever seen. He looked underweight and with a closer look, seemed like he had popeye in his right eye. I didn't even have to think twice about rescuing him. Had told the clerk that I wanted to purchase him, only to find out that I was underaged and could not buy him. Broke my heart into a million pieces...but that didn't stop me. The next day, I had asked my boyfriend's mom to come with me to the pet store to be my "parent" as my mom was not home. Sure enough, they let me buy the betta. Brought him home and had a closer look...definetly popeye and only a bit underweight. He also had some scales missing on his face. Poor guy was in worse shape that what I thought. Put him in a nice warm tank and fed him. He was so happy. Decided to name him Baltimore (Baltie for short). No clue why that name came to mind. He is currently watching me type this entry. Baltie has become very active ever since I took him home! He must trust me to take good care of him. Will continue to update his progress over the next few weeks. Cheers!

PonyJumper101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 12:43 AM   #2 
PetMania

Good for you for taking him in. I just know that he is in good hands. Would you like to know how to treat popeye?
PetMania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 08:26 AM   #3 
PonyJumper101

yeah sure! have done some research on it but would like to hear more options
Old 07-17-2013, 10:52 AM   #4 
PonyJumper101

Day 2

Baltimore is doing great. He is a very active fish and he also likes to listen to my music and dance! Baltie is eating but doesn's seem to understand that he can eat the food at the top of his tank when I drop it in. Will have to work on that! I am currently trying to help cure that popeye in his left eye. Other than that, my pretty boy is ding AWESOME. Also snapped a few AMAZING pictures of him. 'Till next time!

Old 07-17-2013, 01:31 PM   #5 
PetMania

Alright, the first thing to know is that popeye is not fatal if treated. Sometimes the betta might lose an eye but he won't die over it. You need to do 100% water changes daily at least. The clean water will help with the medication you use. You can do research on these medications to see which one you would prefer : Epsom salt, Aquarium salt (do not use aquarium salt with other medications ), API General Cure, or API Fungus Cure. Good Luck :)
Old 07-18-2013, 11:28 AM   #6 
BettaLover1313

Baltimore is beautiful!
BettaLover1313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 06:59 PM   #7 
PonyJumper101

Day 3

Have decided to re-name Baltimore. He is doing great! have started the treatment for his popeye. Not much to say about him as I have been at work all day. Will update you on him tomorrow!
Old 07-25-2013, 05:35 PM   #8 
PetMania

How is he doing? Update?
Old 07-26-2013, 09:15 AM   #9 
PonyJumper101

July 26

Have offically re-named Baltimore to Tsunami!

Tsunami has almost completely healed from his popeye! But he ended up getting a mild case of fin rot. I treated it ASAP and his fins are already started to heal! His colour has reached it's max and he can't stop looking at himself in the reflection. Tsunami is one happy fish and I'm so glad I had the chance to take him in before worse happened.

I had also bought a 5.5 gallon tank yesterday, but I changed my mind about this tank. I really don't like the way it is built and I am going to take it back and see if i can get a different brand at a different pet store.

Giving Fiji a flare. He looks like he's saying "I dare you to come over here, i'll tear you apart!"

Resting on the ground

You can sort of see his fin rot. It's not too bad, his fins are already healing.

All happy in his home

His face is soooooo cute! He's saying "i'm cute so you should feed me more bloodworms!"
Old 07-26-2013, 10:35 AM   #10 
BettaLover1313

Aw! Love the new name! Tsunami really fits him! I love his last picture! It reminds me of my own Dragoon who's always begging me for more food lol.
BettaLover1313 is offline   Reply With Quote