Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-06-2013, 01:31 PM   #1 
lilwjiffy

Unhappy Scar turned into an open wound?

Hello all. I recently purchased an all white male half moon betta fish from Petsmart in May 2013 and when i bought him I noticed a little raised bump (the same color as his body)...or what looked like a scar on the side of his body. I figured it might have been from earlier trauma or whatever, I still thought he was a beautiful fish, and decided to give him a home. (Sorry. You can barely see the scar here. I don't have many before pictures. It's toward the back half of his body.)

He lives in an unheated, filtered 3.5 gallon tank by himself with weekly partial water changes. I use a thermometer to keep an eye on the water temperature. I use "Tetra Aqua Safe" water conditioner. In June, I introduced two different mystery snails into his tank at separate times. He nipped at them so I removed them. One of these snails is still going strong in his own separate tank.

I feed my betta fish "Aqueon BettaFood" pellets once a day. Within the last couple days I noticed that the area where the scar was is becoming progressively gruesome looking. The area is larger, about twice the size and more raised. The color has remained the same, white. There looks to be a tiny pin-prick sized red hole in the middle of all this white gunk. His behavior hasn't changed throughout this process. Last night he was making a new bubble nest and he still fights his reflection like always.

He doesn't appear to be suffering, but I'm not a fish expert and I'd like to get him healthy as soon as possible. Thank you for your help.
lilwjiffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 02:25 PM   #2 
sainthogan

I've messaged Sakura8, one of the moderators here. She will be able to help you.
sainthogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 03:04 PM   #3 
Sakura8

Hi lilwjiffy and welcome to the forum. I'm sorry to hear your guy is a bit sick. From your description of his symptoms, there are two possibilities for what has caused that big white gunk on him.

The first possibility is he had a small wound that became infected. Often, when a wound is infected it also develops a hairy fungus called saprolegnia around the edges. That could be the white stuff you're seeing.

Second possibility is he has lymphocystis, which is a typicall non-fatal virus that causes cauliflower-like growths. Depending on the fish's immune system, the growths can be all over the body or sometimes small and localized. Because it's a virus, there is no treatment but the virus usually clears up on its own after a few months. Only real dangers are if the growths interfere with eating or if a cyst pops and becomes infected.

Because his behavior hasn't changed, I'm leaning more towards the lympho. If he had an infection, he most likely would be lethargic and act sick. If it is lympho, there's really nothing that can be done except to keep the water clean to prevent infection and to provide a good, protein-rich diet. You may want to try switching to a food like Omega One Betta Buffet or New Life Spectrum Betta Formula because both are very high in protein and have fish as their primary ingredients. This will help boost his immune system.

One thing you can try is adding 1 tsp of aquarium salt per gallon to his tank. This will help encourage slime coat and balance his electrolytes so that if this is an infection, he'll have a better chance of fighting it off. When you do water changes, only replace the same amount of salt that you removed. So if you take out about a gallon and a half of water during a water change, only replace 1.5 tsps of salt. You can try this treatment for up to 14 days.

One thing I might also suggest is that you message a member named akhan. This person has a betta who is going through a similar problem - the wounds look similar. akhan has had lab testing done and may be able to shed some light on your fish's problem as well.

I'm glad he is acting normally otherwise. Good luck and keep us updated. :)
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 04:17 PM   #4 
lilwjiffy

Thank you for the prompt replies and advice. I will definitely do as you suggested.
Old 07-07-2013, 01:40 AM   #5 
NickZac

Does the wound look cottony and is there any red streaking of the fins?

I would advise that at this point, whenever you work with anything such as water that comes in contact with the fish, use a cleaner with a high concentration of alcohol or an anti-microbial other than triclosan. It is unlikely but possible that the wound could indicate a bacterial infection that can infect people via nasty sores.

Do you have higher resolution pics?
NickZac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 06:05 PM   #6 
lilwjiffy

It isn't cottony. It looks more like cauliflower than cotton. There are no red streaking of the fins. And no, I don't have any other higher resolution pics. The only camera I have is old and crappy. I figured bad pics would be better than no pics at all.
Old 07-12-2013, 10:04 PM   #7 
ANHEL123

Hey how is your betta doing? Just want to add my piece of advice. Since his tank is not that big you might want to do 2-50% weekly water changes with gravel vacuum . And don't forget to rinse/swish filter media in the tank water or dechlorinated water regularly. He is beautiful betta :)
ANHEL123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 10:14 PM   #8 
Namialus

Make sure the temp is around 80. VitaChem will help boost his immune system as well.
Namialus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 01:43 PM   #9 
lilwjiffy

Thank you! He is a handsome boy. The pics don't do him justice. But for now he's doing fine. His "gunky area" appears to be subsiding, and I don't see any more red in the area. But I'll continue to do as you all suggest.
Old 07-16-2013, 09:00 PM   #10 
ANHEL123

Oh good , i am glad your little guy doing good:)
ANHEL123 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scar, sick fish, wound