Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-13-2009, 08:29 AM   #1 
TigerLily

Exclamation Recovering from a jump!

Hello,

A female betta I recently picked up managed to jump out of her tank, slipping between the lid and the place where the filter hangs. I found her, still alive, but she was on the carpet and is now covered with dust and fuzz....what really scares me is that the floor where I found her was recently sprayed for bugs.

I used a spoon to pick her up and put her in a cup of clean water from the tank, but her movements are very sluggish and she is having trouble getting to the surface for air. I've been using the spoon to help her to the top.

I can't believe I'm such a bad fish mommy...I never expected her to jump out like this. The water was an inch and a half below the top of the tank and the lid was secure, she just managed to find the only little opening.

Is there anything I can do for her? The carpet fuzz is stuck on her, but I'm afraid of doing anything further because I do not want to shock/hurt her anymore than she already is....
TigerLily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 08:55 AM   #2 
TigerLily

She is moving and breathing on her own now, but she is still covered in fuzz and not moving too much.

I've cut some wire mesh to fit exactly over that small open space and taped it in place to prevent this from happening again.
Old 10-13-2009, 09:10 AM   #3 
JamieTron

you are not a bad fish mommy, you just have a very accurate jumper on your hands. I wouldn't try to pick the fuzz off it'll tamper with her natural mucus coating, if that goes she may be more open to bacterial infections. Also it could damage her scales. However, what you are doing is fine. Has she eaten since the accident? Do you know how long she was out of the tank?
JamieTron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 09:14 AM   #4 
TigerLily

I do not know how long she was out of the tank, since the tank is in my bedroom, I noticed her missing the moment I woke up and I immediately began looking for her, and the the hunt lasted 5-10 minutes.

She has not eaten. I haven't even tried feeding her yet, because she seems (to me) to in shock from her jump. Although right now she is slowly becoming more alert and more active.
Old 10-13-2009, 11:11 AM   #5 
TigerLily

Update:
She has had some time to relax and is now looking much better. She is alert and swimming well and has managed to shake off most of the fuzz. The only thing concerning me is that she is not using her right side fin. I assume she hurt it when she fell, although I can't see anything glaringly wrong with it. I hope it will heal.

She is still in her cup for now, watching me on my desk. How long should I keep her separated from the others?
Old 10-13-2009, 04:58 PM   #6 
JamieTron

I would keep her separated for a week or so, maybe pick up a cheap vase or something so she has more room, test her swimming behavior in a larger volume of water. I find with fish that when one shows signs of weakness that they begin to get picked on, or perhaps just can't access food fast enough. She sounds like she will be okay. Also since there was that stressful event she will be more prone to infections. I would just keep her clean and quarantined for a little longer. But that's your call, if you feel she looks 100% recovered she maybe be fine going back earlier.

I am glad to hear she is doing well! You are doing a good job keeping her happy Good luck!
JamieTron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 06:30 PM   #7 
TigerLily

Thanks for the advice! I have a fish bowl she can stay in while she takes her time to fully recover. I won't put her back in the large tank until I'm certain she's ready.
Old 10-14-2009, 08:59 AM   #8 
ChristinaRoss

glad to hear shes doing better!
ChristinaRoss is offline   Reply With Quote