Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-13-2013, 11:12 PM   #1 
JennNP

Pretty sure my shrimp died and I can't find it

I had quite a scare the other day, I screwed up when heating up the tank water for the first time. Luckily, my betta seems to have fully recovered.

My shrimp was not so lucky. I saw him wedged in the gravel a little, next to my undergravel filter. His legs were still kicking a bit. Earlier I had found him in a similar predicament but on another corner of the tank. I went to fish him out thinking he was dead, but he swam away. All day I've been finding him near death on the gravel but still alive. Well, I think he finally died because I haven't been able to find him for hours.

And there's the problem..I have a dead shrimp somewhere but I don't know where. Considering the last place I saw him, I'm pretty sure he made his way down the gravel and under the filter. Will there be any ill effects on my betta? My only options at this point is let nature do it's thing, or take apart my entire tank/remove plants looking through gravel and under the filter for the shrimp.
JennNP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 11:22 PM   #2 
Janan

Maybe your betta ate him. That is nature taking its course.
Janan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 12:23 AM   #3 
JennNP

Never mind, I got my boyfriend to help and we took everything out and did a 100% change and found the shrimp under the undergravel filter. I think I'm done with shrimp, that was a pain! It's been a crazy 48 hours. Thanks anyway.
Old 07-14-2013, 02:56 AM   #4 
RussellTheShihTzu
Reference Team

Shrimp are extremely sensitive to any change in their water conditions/parameters. What a hardy Betta can handle will kill an invert. Sorry yours died.
RussellTheShihTzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 09:34 AM   #5 
peachii

I would avoid shrimp in the tank with the undergravel filter, sounds like it kept sucking him down into the gravel and probably killed him by sucking him down.
peachii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 03:06 PM   #6 
JennNP

I think I killed him..er that sounds awful. I really screwed up when I put in my new heater and didn't acclimate anything. A large, quick, temperature increase was too much for him. I'd only had him for a handful of days, but I never saw him on the ground before. He was always cleaning plants.

I think the temp change did him in. Either way, I'm done with shrimp..that was an awful experience. Especially after Cesar (my betta) almost didn't make it through the temp change, having to do a 100% change after he had finally began to act himself again was nerve racking. Think I'm just gonna stick to my snail and my betta and not mess with this tank for a while!
Old 07-17-2013, 04:41 AM   #7 
BittyB

Yeah shrimp are far more sensitive to changes but definitely undergravel filters are not the way to go with them. If they get fit through, it's too big of a a hole. I have some American Glass shrimp with my betta, and they're going great but my parameters are constant, I have a low flow filter and before winter comes I will get a heater to keep it to the temperature it is now.

Sorry it didn't work out. I hope that the snail works out as a easier cleaner companion.
BittyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 05:47 AM   #8 
RussellTheShihTzu
Reference Team

If you Google "Under gravel and shrimp tanks" you will find a great many invert breeders who actually suggest UGFs either alone or in conjunction with canisters, etc. Most of the posts were on invert-specif forums so I can't link.

Not disagreeing with anyone; I was just curious because I'd never heard UGFs were bad for invert tanks.
RussellTheShihTzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 12:13 PM   #9 
JennNP

I'm not sure the model or type of my filter (it was given to me used with the tank), I believe it's old since when I google undergravel filters, I can't find any that look like mine. The holes in the bottom are really tiny slits, definitely not big enough for a shrimp to get sucked into. Plus, I have a good amount of gravel in there.

I really think it was my own error that was the culprit here. The last place I saw him was laying on his side in the corner of the tank. the undergravel filter is slightly smaller than the area of the tank, so he wasn't directly above the filter at that time.

Either way, I don't plan on getting any more shrimp..at least not anytime soon. I'll definitely do more research on my set up with shrimp if I do ever decide to get another : )