Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-16-2013, 07:23 PM   #71 
Kiara1125

Frogs are amphibians ... xD

Anyways, the nerite won't adjust the heater. lol just buy both the nerite and the betta. Also, when adding the new betta to the tank (whether you QT him or not), have him in a container and let him float for an hour or so. It won't hurt him. I do this to let my fish see their new environment. I notice that if I do this with new bettas (females in the community or males in divided tanks (or even new, big tanks)) then they don't get as stressed. The thing is that they get to stay in the safety of the cup, but see their new surroundings and get used to everything.
Kiara1125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 07:25 PM   #72 
Namialus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiara1125 View Post
Frogs are amphibians ... xD

Anyways, the nerite won't adjust the heater. lol just buy both the nerite and the betta. Also, when adding the new betta to the tank (whether you QT him or not), have him in a container and let him float for an hour or so. It won't hurt him. I do this to let my fish see their new environment. I notice that if I do this with new bettas (females in the community or males in divided tanks (or even new, big tanks)) then they don't get as stressed. The thing is that they get to stay in the safety of the cup, but see their new surroundings and get used to everything.
LOL!

I probably will, if I can convince my mom to let me get both. It's either the snail or nothing right now, I think. :P I'm going to QT the betta (if I get one) in a 1.5 gallon for a week. No filter or heater.
Namialus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 09:31 PM   #73 
miscanon

Too bad your mom won't allow ADFs, they're really cute and active- I imagine your betta would perk up with them, too!

Maybe you could work getting another betta from another angle, like by telling her not only would it make Plagueis happier (with a divider), but you'd also be saving another fish!
miscanon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 09:34 PM   #74 
Namialus

Quote:
Originally Posted by miscanon View Post
Too bad your mom won't allow ADFs, they're really cute and active- I imagine your betta would perk up with them, too!

Maybe you could work getting another betta from another angle, like by telling her not only would it make Plagueis happier (with a divider), but you'd also be saving another fish!
She sees it as Plagueis losing space and me being selfish.
Old 07-17-2013, 01:02 PM   #75 
Namialus

If I go to the LFS today I'll buy a nerite (if they have them) and a betta. :D
Old 07-17-2013, 07:21 PM   #76 
miscanon

Yay! Be sure to post some pics for us! :D
miscanon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 07:27 PM   #77 
Namialus

Quote:
Originally Posted by miscanon View Post
Yay! Be sure to post some pics for us! :D
I will! :D

Now I kind of have some questions about the dividers.. My mom thinks I can't make one correctly but all the ones at Pet stores are either too small or don't allow the tank to close properly. If I were to make one:

-The tank would close, right? The ones at my LFS which do not close have hooks to hold the divider in place, how will my DIY one be held in place? Would my bettas be able to push through?
Old 07-17-2013, 09:04 PM   #78 
Namialus

My mom is saying I can get a betta - just no QTing because she says we don't have any space. Should I risk it? :(
Old 07-17-2013, 09:10 PM   #79 
RussellTheShihTzu

That's up to you. I never have.

However, I have a thought: Why don't you make your divider and get a breeder box or plastic container and quarantine your new Betta in that in the side he'll be living? You'd have to do frequent water changes, but that way you'll keep him in a heated tank, won't take up any extra room, and he'll already be acclimated when you are ready to turn him loose.

You don't have to do the divider first; but with the divider, the new Betta won't feel trapped in his cup if Plagueis flares at him.

Last edited by RussellTheShihTzu; 07-17-2013 at 09:11 PM. Reason: Grammar
RussellTheShihTzu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 09:17 PM   #80 
Kiara1125

Go to a craft store such as Joann Fabrics and get a single sheet of type 7 mesh. Cut it to 10" (tall (I personally cut it to 8")) by 11" (wide), you want to be over some for the divider to bend so it will fit snugly in place in the tank. You could just press it into place and put gravel on either side so it doesn't move. But, for more security, you could go to Staples and get plastic binder clips. After you cut the mesh, slide the binder clips on the sides and place it in the tank. I do this with my divided 10 and I'll attach an image of it too!

Mesh (type 7)

Binder Clips

End Result (and yes, you can use colored mesh so the bettas don't see each other)

Tank Shot

Hope this helps! :D
(all photos are not mine and were taken off of Google)

ALSO, I made 3 dividers like this all under $5. It's EXTREMELY cheap! :D

Last edited by Kiara1125; 07-17-2013 at 09:21 PM.
Kiara1125 is offline   Reply With Quote