Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-17-2013, 01:05 AM   #1 
HeadlessLegoMom

Red face Setting Up New 3G Tank... ADVICE???

Setting Up New 3G Tank... ADVICE???
Okay, tomorrow afternoon I would like to set up Buttercup's new 3 gallon tetra half moon bubbler tank for him. I know it will take a while to do, but it will be my first time working with a filter and aeration and more than three times the size of my current tank, so I was wondering if there is anything you think I'll need to know before embarking on this scary mission?

Should I be soaking the media in his old tank water before inserting it into the filter?

Do you suggest I rinse everything in the tank before adding water? I do not have a 3 gallon container, so I was going to fill the tank up with tap water and add the Stress Coat, Prime, and a decreased, but proportionate dose of AQ Salt right into the tank a few hours before adding the fish.

Also, how much Prime and Stress coat should I be adding to the tank? It seems like it would be too much if I added 6 dops of each, right?

If you recommend lowering the AQ salt, how much should I add on the initial fill?
HeadlessLegoMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 01:31 AM   #2 
Flyby Stardancer

Just transfer the filter media directly. Don't let it dry out, but you don't need to do an extended soak either.

Why are you adding both Stress Coat and Prime? I don't know if Stress Coat is a dechlorinator, but Prime doesn't require adding Stress Coat. And 6 drops should be good for a 3 gallon tank. :)

And why were you using AQ salt?
Flyby Stardancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 02:35 AM   #3 
GinjaHaZ

I think we have the same tank. I always rinse things off, including the tank, before putting adding the fish. And I just use API Stress Coat + went Lucifer seems stressed because it makes the tap water safe as well. Otherwise, I use Tetra Betta Safe Conditioner. Just adding that and keeping a check on the temperature is keeping my betta pretty happy. The flow of the filter doesn't seem to be bothering him either; however, I don't really use the airstone that came with it.
GinjaHaZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 07:41 AM   #4 
LittleDeer

Make sure you rinse the filter cartridge until the water comes out clear. There's carbon in the filter and you want to get all the carbon dust out. Using tap water is fine for that. It would use too much dechlorinated water for that to be practical. And the dechlorinated in the new tank water will dechlorinated the filter cartridge anyway.

I wouldn't reccommend using an airstone/bubbler with a Betta alone in a tank. They don't need aerated water since they breathe from the surface, and the water movement can stress them out.

If you have gravel in his .7 tank, put that in the new one along with any new gravel you put in. You can put the old water in with the new but the gravel is whats gonna help get a cycle going. Using the water would just add dirty water.

I don't use prime or aquarium salt, so someone else will have to help you there. I put in about 1mL of Stress Coat in my 2gallons evey water change. As long as its a reasonable estimate, you can't really put too much Stress Coat.

Please share a picture once you set it up, I'd love to see Buttercup's new home :)

Last edited by LittleDeer; 07-17-2013 at 07:43 AM.
LittleDeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 02:20 PM   #5 
HeadlessLegoMom

It's a new filter since he doesn't have one in his current tank. So just rinse it until the water runs clear? I am using Prime and Stress Coat because there is ammonia in my tap water, but I am also trying to heal fin rot and regrow the fins Buttercup has lost to that, biting, and blow outs.

I know he doesn't NEED aeration, but my two year old begged for a tank that changes colors, and I think that the air needs to be on for the light to work. I will keep it at the lowest setting and turn it off if he seems to dislike it, but he likes when I blow gently on his water, so I think it will be okay...

The bottle of stress coat that I have says to use 5ml/50 gallons which means that the dose you are using for your 2 gallon is the appropriate dose for a TEN gallon tank!
Old 07-17-2013, 02:24 PM   #6 
Namialus

Don't use AQ salt if there is nothing wrong with him. I used to make that mistake. ;)

As for the conditioners, pick one. You don't need both. I use Prime just because but I think they're both good. Maybe for now you could use StressCoat since the change might stress him out.

Are you sure the bubbler won't annoy him? My betta absolutely HATES any current in the water so I had to do a lot for his baffle. :P

As for the media, you could use some of the old tank water in the new tank too, just because it's aged and he's used to it. The media should be rinsed in old tank water, yes.
Namialus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 04:28 PM   #7 
GinjaHaZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadlessLegoMom View Post
I know he doesn't NEED aeration, but my two year old begged for a tank that changes colors, and I think that the air needs to be on for the light to work. I will keep it at the lowest setting and turn it off if he seems to dislike it, but he likes when I blow gently on his water, so I think it will be okay...
The LEDs will work without the air. It probably just won't look as pretty. I just keep the valve to the airstone closed and plug in the lights. It still looks pretty cool in dark when you leave the lid off; you can see the shadow of the fish swimming on ceiling.
GinjaHaZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 05:29 PM   #8 
LittleDeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadlessLegoMom View Post
It's a new filter since he doesn't have one in his current tank. So just rinse it until the water runs clear? I am using Prime and Stress Coat because there is ammonia in my tap water, but I am also trying to heal fin rot and regrow the fins Buttercup has lost to that, biting, and blow outs.

The bottle of stress coat that I have says to use 5ml/50 gallons which means that the dose you are using for your 2 gallon is the appropriate dose for a TEN gallon tank!
My bottle of Stress Coat says 5mL/10gallons. We may have different concentrations of it. But my dosage is fine.

But yeah, just rinse the cartridge until the water is completely clear.

If its on low it should be okay. I think my friend actually has a smaller version of what you have, since his 1 gallon came with an LED bubbler thing (though his boy is in a 10gallon tank now, but he still has the bubbler thing in because his boy actually likes it when its on the low setting and plays with the bubbles.). As long as it isnt too strong, it should be okay. Just keep an eye out and stop it if he seems stressed.
Old 07-17-2013, 10:18 PM   #9 
HeadlessLegoMom

Ginja- how do you keep it from floating to the top?? That's cool about the ceiling reflection. I think my fish will really like it on a low setting, but if not that will be fun to watch. If I want to unplug the lights, do I need t close off the valve?

LittleDeer- I didn't know stress coat came in different concentrations, sorry. When I rinsed the new media, it didn't look like anything came off.

My questions so far in setting up:

1. So, I am having a hell of a time trying to set up this new tank and wondering if there is something wrong with the filter. It seemed fine at first, but I had to move it to match where the space was in the lid for it it fit. Are there supposed to be a stream of bubbles coming up from where the O ring meets the air inlet port at the bottom of the diffuser tube?

2. Is BB something I would be able to see on the filter with my eyes or is it microscopic?

3. Wondering if you have any tips or ideas for this stupid air stone?! I knew before I bought the tank that most of the reviews were people bitching (am I allowed to say that on here? They say it on tv!) about the bubbler & lights not being able to be weighted down by the gravel and repeatedly floating to the top of the tank. Someone suggested letting it run on high for a couple of hours (obviously before adding fish) to get all of the air out and that it should stay down after that, but in the event it won't, I need suggestions.

4. Also, I have an adjustable connector vavle where the tubing from the filter and air stone come together to one tube to connect to the air pump. If I decide to unplug the air stone, is there anything that I need to do like plug up its tube or disconnect it? I read something in one of the instruction booklets about water flowing the wrong way if you unplug something... I guess that is what the check vavle is for, but I don't have one yet---does that mean I can't unplug the air stone until I get one???

5. Last, but not least do I need to get a "check valve?" Do I need two of them so that there is one for the air stone and one for the filter, or just one?
Old 07-17-2013, 10:27 PM   #10 
LittleDeer

I didn't know that either. But mine definitely says 5mL/10gal so that must be the case if yours says 5mL/50gal.

I'm not sure how to help with most of your questions, but BB will look kind of like a brownish slime on the filter cartridge.

A check valve is a good idea to have just in case. I have one on my air pump for my 10gal and we recently had a few thunderstorms where we lost power. If not for the check valve, my air pump would have been destroyed and there would be water everywhere. So I do reccommend getting one, thoug I'm not sure wether or not you would need two. Hopefully someone else can help you better than I can.