Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Planted Betta Tanks
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-17-2013, 10:20 PM   #21 
jesssan2442

I got my first plant last week, and yesterday $25 magically disappeared and was paypal-ed to some random person selling plants... Darn fish... I would have alot more money if I wasn't into aquariums!!

My new plants are suppose to be delivered on friday, I'm so excited! I'm gonna have enought plants to put in all 4 of my tanks! I'm getting around 50ish stems!
jesssan2442 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 12:58 AM   #22 
VegasShimmer

The plant addiction is about as bad as the Betta addiction. I just discovered my small LFS has an awesome selection of plants. Picked up a big mother water sprite couple weeks ago, and some nice shrub plants yesterday. Can a tank be too heavily planted?

Lil - my water sprite has "white roots/shooters" coming out and heading toward the substrate. Are these babies?
VegasShimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 09:55 AM   #23 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by VegasShimmer View Post
Can a tank be too heavily planted?

Lil - my water sprite has "white roots/shooters" coming out and heading toward the substrate. Are these babies?
Being too heavily planted is up to the keeper. Some say my sorority tank is too heavily planted but I think I can still add more plants! lol

As for the white roots/shooters, no if it's coming out of the crown of the plant then those are just new root growths. You'll see babies growing off the stem of the plant, usually towards the end of a stem from the mother plant. I can get picture's later to show you the difference between regular roots and baby plants off of a water sprite!
lilnaugrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 10:12 AM   #24 
VegasShimmer

Good to know! So the babies are the 'curled' up growth at the base? They remind me of a stem with a little fist at the end. LOL! Should I let the roots/shoots (?) do as they please? My wisteria does the same thing. The WS roots have fine hairs on them, just don't want any girls getting tangled. :/
Old 07-18-2013, 11:12 AM   #25 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by VegasShimmer View Post
Good to know! So the babies are the 'curled' up growth at the base? They remind me of a stem with a little fist at the end. LOL! Should I let the roots/shoots (?) do as they please? My wisteria does the same thing. The WS roots have fine hairs on them, just don't want any girls getting tangled. :/
That isn't the babies that is just a new stem growing from the crown of the plant. Usually WS get's about 5-6 stems per plant, sometimes more if it's under great conditions. The babes will look like mini water sprite's growing at the leaves of the mother plant. and no, your girls won't get tangled in them ^_^
Old 07-18-2013, 11:25 AM   #26 
VegasShimmer

Ok, I'll have to inspect the sorority WS closer. It is growing like crazy! The girls lay all over it. LOL! :)
Old 07-18-2013, 11:32 AM   #27 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

yeah, my girls LOVE their WS! They're mad at me because I thinned it out a little so the plants on the bottom could get some light lol they didn't like that XD