Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-18-2013, 12:33 AM   #1371 
TexasRose

Quote:
Originally Posted by PetMania View Post
I went to PetCo and saw around 3 "female bettas" They were less than an inch! I guess someone brought up who ridiculous selling babies is. But now they try to sell babies as smaller females.
I went to my petco and saw fry so young they were clear and you can see a black dot at the head. It was maybe a couple of centimeters long. I never FAQ a fry so young. It took all I had not to walk out with another betta. If I could put two in a tank with out a divider I would adopt another betta.

Some of the adults were in yellow water. I complained to the manager, but he swore that they take good care of their fish. So I pointed out all the dead and yellow water fish. He said he would take care of it.
TexasRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 02:13 AM   #1372 
Flyby Stardancer

Okay, water change question, folks. My baby is in an uncycled 2 gallon tank currently. I'm doing daily 50% water changes (or so, a couple accidentally were more like 60% change). Since I'm doing so many of the partial changes, do I need to do the once-a-week 100% change normally recommended for an uncycled tank this size?
Flyby Stardancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 02:46 AM   #1373 
TexasRose

Do you have a filter in your tank? Mine is in a 2 1/2 gal tank with a filter. I use a filter with a sponge and biomedia (azoo filter from amazon, asiandude666 has a tutorial how to set it up).

I have never done a 100% change. You want to keep the good bacteria. With a filtered tank I did changes every third day, mostly 20-30%. When I went thru my cloudy phase i did 50% once a week, 20% the second time that week. Now my tank is crystal clear. Also, I rinse the sponge, bio media, and pre filter in the water that I syphoned out.

Now that my betta is getting bigger, I'm about to move him into a bigger tank.

Last edited by TexasRose; 07-18-2013 at 02:51 AM.
Old 07-18-2013, 06:07 AM   #1374 
Flyby Stardancer

Nope, currently no filter on the tank. The tank came with a built-in filter, but the motor stopped working and I haven't purchased a replacement filter yet.
Old 07-18-2013, 08:44 AM   #1375 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Flyby, you don't necessarily need a 100% at the end of the week if you're doing 50-60%'s daily but if it makes you feel better then you can certain do it and it won't hurt the baby at all. Just acclimate carefully as all, I'd take a whole hour with a 100%
lilnaugrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 11:16 AM   #1376 
TexasRose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyby Stardancer View Post
Nope, currently no filter on the tank. The tank came with a built-in filter, but the motor stopped working and I haven't purchased a replacement filter yet.
The filter that came with my tank was too strong, it kept blowing my betta around. The azoo is adjustable, it's like a smaller version of the aqua clear. I'm really happy with it. I'm sure there are others that are just as good.

Also, mine loves its water at 80 degrees. I bought an adjustable heater too, I felt that I did not have enough experience to trust a heater that I can't control. Since I knew my waters temp I calibrated the heater, and it has been on point since day one. I have a 50 watt eheim heater. (I could have gotten a 25 watt but the fish store did not have any).

Good luck!
Old 07-18-2013, 01:39 PM   #1377 
PetMania

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRose View Post
I went to my petco and saw fry so young they were clear and you can see a black dot at the head. It was maybe a couple of centimeters long. I never FAQ a fry so young. It took all I had not to walk out with another betta. If I could put two in a tank with out a divider I would adopt another betta.

Some of the adults were in yellow water. I complained to the manager, but he swore that they take good care of their fish. So I pointed out all the dead and yellow water fish. He said he would take care of it.
I know. It's so ridiculous. This is how it goes: People walk in with their kids. Kids see baby betta and want it. That betta has a terrible life in a 0.3 gallon tank swimming in it's own filth.
First, they leave bettas to die while living in a cup. Then they sell babies!!!!! It's like puppies at a puppy mill. This is another reason why I started my rescue.
PetMania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 09:24 PM   #1378 
JamieL

Baby bubble nest under the heater? :D
Attached Images

JamieL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 05:51 PM   #1379 
Mar

^

That's too cute!
Mar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 08:00 PM   #1380 
Flyby Stardancer

Took a really bad, somewhat blurry video of my baby for the one-week update. :) I have a lamp throwing light into the tank, because the light in the lid adds almost no light.

The blue-ish coloring you see is iridescence. In the dimmer light from the lid light you can still see the fry coloring quite clearly.

http://youtu.be/nTG6vzejsnE

Tags
baby betta, good luck guys:), petco, petco babies, petco baby betta