Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-14-2009, 06:51 PM   #1 
1fish2fish

need advice on tail biting

I have finally diagnosed the problems I've been having with freddie and his tail as tail biting. I have never seen him actually biting it but have compared his tail with pictures of tail biters online and I'm convinced.

I thought moving him to the big tank would solve the problem but it hasn't. I really don't know what to do to solve this and why he is doing it in the first place.

I have two ideas as to why he bites his tail
1 seeing the other male through the divided tank is too stressful
2 moving to a 5 gallon space is too much for him to handle

My solutions so far are either

1. Buy more silk plants to cover the divider so it is really hard for them to see each other

2. I am planning on buying a 2.5 gallon aq for my desk with another male. I could put freddie in the 2.5 and the new boy in the divided 10

Any advice on why he is biting? Is there anything I can buy to curb is tail appetite?
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 08:40 AM   #2 
doggyhog

Ah yes! You have a tail biter too!!!! I have one. Tail biting is a tricky thing. Mine does it after every water change, even though I don't even take him out of the tank. My solution, don't let him see another male betta. Get a female and put him next to her. He will be so distracted that he won't even think about his silly tail!
doggyhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 06:57 PM   #3 
1fish2fish

I already have another male next to him that is doing fine. I'm considering putting him in a 2.5 gal and just getting another male to go in the big tank, I'm really not into the girls but I can consider it. I don't think its fair to put my other fish that is doing fine in a smaller tank though. First I'm going to try covering the divider with plants.

This is the worst his tail has been. Not only is he biting his tail fin but the ones on top and bottom as well which he has never done.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote